big dog cowboy

THE BIG DOG
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
WWE And Vince McMahon Are The Future Of Sports
Mike Ozanian Forbes Staff
2/13/2015

The future is here and it is the WWE. I am not referring to the wrestling, but rather how WWE is delivering its content to its customers.

Vince McMahon’s company is losing money but that is besides the point. The success of its WWE Network–the first-ever 24-7 direct-to-consumer network that was launched live in the U.S. just a year ago that delivers content directly to fans through over-the-top digital distribution–is a success.

Yesterday, WWE reported results for the fourth quarter and 2014 that were better than expected thanks to its fledgling network. As Variety reported, the network ended the year with 816,000 subscribers, WWE said, adding 85,000 during the fourth quarter, representing a 12% increase from Sept. 30. It surpassed the 1 million mark in January, 11 months after its launch. Advertising and subscription sales from the WWE Network and PPV events boosted network revenues 64% to $27.2 million during the quarter, with the streaming service accounting for much of that figure, or $23.3 million.

Give McMahon credit for having the guts to go against conventional wisdom and critics who wanted WWE to stick exclusively with its pay-per-view model. McMahon has looked Joseph Schumpeter‘s creative destruction theory in the eye and smiled right back. It takes you know what to take a profitable business model and rip it apart, but that is exactly what McMahon has done.

Read more: http://www.forbes.com/sites/mikeozanian/2015/02/13/wwe-is-leading-the-way-to-the-future-for-sports/

RonSpringsdaman20

Hold The Door!
Reaction score
Vince has always been innovative.... I didn't like his product as kid when I watched wrestling.. but it was pretty obvious that he was sharp.

I'm looking forward to the day when I only pay for what I want, rather than paying for 800 or something odd channels that I have no desire to see... but it's pitched to me like its a bonus...

SkinsandTerps

Commanders Forever
Reaction score
I've been waiting for this for a while.

I don't follow WWE so closely anymore, but I simply want to be able to pay for my favorite teams games, favorite shows, etc.

I'll watch the highlights later on NFL Network for the other games.

Good for them.

Although scripted wrestling is not really a sport.

Hoofbite

Reaction score
It wasn't ingenuity that drove them to a subscription model.

Their product has been declining for the better part of a decade, and people are cutting the cord in greater numbers. What alternative was there?

If anyone is interested, they're giving the month of February free to people who sign up for their service. You'll be billed on March 1st.

http://slickdeals.net/f/7627994-wwe-network-free-for-month-of-february-2015

big dog cowboy

THE BIG DOG
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Their product has been declining for the better part of a decade, and people are cutting the cord in greater numbers.
Generally speaking their shows are almost always in the top 5 each week. Their product may be decling but folks are still watching.

Cable Top 25: Cable Viewership for the Week Ending February 8, 2015

Rank Shows Net Day Time
1 Walking Dead AMC Sun 09:00P-10:00P
2 BETTER CALL SAUL AMC Sun 10:00P-11:13P
3 Walking Dead MARATHON AMC Sun 08:00P-09:00P
4 Gold Rush DISC Fri 09:00P-10:00P
5 WWE Entertainment USA Mon 08:00P-09:00P
6 WWE Entertainment USA Mon 09:00P-10:00P
7 WWE Entertainment USA Mon 10:00P-11:13P

Cable Top 25: 'WWE Raw' Tops Cable Viewership for the Week Ending February 1, 2015

Rank Shows Net Day Time
1 WWE Entertainment USA Mon 09:00P-10:00P
2 Gold Rush DISC Fri 09:00P-10:00P
3 WWE Entertainment USA Mon 08:00P-09:00P
4 WWE Entertainment USA Mon 10:00P-11:12P

Hoofbite

Reaction score
Generally speaking their shows are almost always in the top 5 each week. Their product may be decling but folks are still watching.

Cable Top 25: Cable Viewership for the Week Ending February 8, 2015

Rank Shows Net Day Time
1 Walking Dead AMC Sun 09:00P-10:00P
2 BETTER CALL SAUL AMC Sun 10:00P-11:13P
3 Walking Dead MARATHON AMC Sun 08:00P-09:00P
4 Gold Rush DISC Fri 09:00P-10:00P
5 WWE Entertainment USA Mon 08:00P-09:00P
6 WWE Entertainment USA Mon 09:00P-10:00P
7 WWE Entertainment USA Mon 10:00P-11:13P

Cable Top 25: 'WWE Raw' Tops Cable Viewership for the Week Ending February 1, 2015

Rank Shows Net Day Time
1 WWE Entertainment USA Mon 09:00P-10:00P
2 Gold Rush DISC Fri 09:00P-10:00P
3 WWE Entertainment USA Mon 08:00P-09:00P
4 WWE Entertainment USA Mon 10:00P-11:12P

Which is only half the story. Their PPV purchases aren't what they were 10 years ago.

Their December PPV was the least bought event ever. Prior to that was their September 2014 event.

The PPV ship has sailed in general, but as their target demographic has gotten younger and their product less interesting, they've fallen more.

big dog cowboy

THE BIG DOG
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Which is only half the story. Their PPV purchases aren't what they were 10 years ago.
It's the whole story. Of course PPV's aren't what they were. They gave up trying to sell them and replaced the business model around the WWEN. Go back and read their how they changed everything. The PPV way of doing business died. Frankly, anyone who would actually pay for any PPV anymore is an idiot when you can subscribe for only $9.99 a month. Which now has over a million subscribers after less than one year.

Hoofbite

Reaction score
It's the whole story. Of course PPV's aren't what they were. They gave up trying to sell them and replaced the business model around the WWEN. Go back and read their how they changed everything. The PPV way of doing business died. Frankly, anyone who would actually pay for any PPV anymore is an idiot when you can subscribe for only $9.99 a month. Which now has over a million subscribers after less than one year.

They've offered 2 free months in November and February, and they dropped the commitment term it launched with.

Not shocking people signed up. Remains to be seen if they will stay.

Not that it matters. My point was they changed cause they had to, not because Vince is some trendsetter. Credit to them for recognizing, I suppose.

MLB has been doing this for a while.

big dog cowboy

THE BIG DOG
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Not that it matters. My point was they changed cause they had to, not because Vince is some trendsetter. Credit to them for recognizing, I suppose.

I guess Mike Ozanian of Forbes disagrees with you according to his headline.