Xavier Woods, Safety Louisiana Tech

Pants

Reaction score
Without looking at video, smallish for a safety, small college, have him as 13th best safety - somewhere in the late 5th or 6th round - I keep hearing his name lately so perhaps he could stick; I would think him being a target would depend on if we get a safety with one of our first 4 picks (then he would not be considered)

Hailmary

Reaction score
If you like Budda, then you probably like this kid as well. I give Budda the edge in tackling, but I give woods the edge in ball skills and the knack for creating turnovers. Biggest difference btwn the two is that I think you can get Woods 2 - 3 rounds later. All that said, I like him.

Pants

Reaction score
I like Baker, so I will need to look up this guy more now :)

Hailmary

Reaction score
Despite his lack of ideal size, he packs a wallop. LaTech's been doing a good job of producing draftable players the last couple of years.

ksg811

Reaction score
He's what everyone wants to see in Jabril Peppers at safety. He's quick, instinctive, and plays the ball well. Also not a liability as a tackler and can give out a hit punch when the opportunity arises but doesn't sell out for them and miss ala Evans.

I have him graded as an early 3rd but may be available in the 4th. No problems taking him at 92.

AzorAhai

Reaction score
Without looking at video, smallish for a safety, small college, have him as 13th best safety - somewhere in the late 5th or 6th round - I keep hearing his name lately so perhaps he could stick; I would think him being a target would depend on if we get a safety with one of our first 4 picks (then he would not be considered)
Wait, are you saying you ranked him without watching him?

Kaiser

Reaction score
Dane Brugler lists him as a 3rd or 4th round pick with skills that match our scheme, plus he is a high character guy. Sounds like a guy we should be happy with if he lasts until our pick in the 4th.

Oh_Canada

Reaction score
Not sure there are more than three safeties in this class with his ball skills and he has tremendous intangibles to boot.
If he was two inches taller and ten heavier he is a no brainer first rounder.
Really good player.

morasp

Reaction score
Good instincts, great production, good hitter, and good hands. Looks like a player. For what it's worth NFL.com has him ranked at 254 overall.

stilltheguru88

Reaction score
Good instincts, great production, good hitter, and good hands. Looks like a player. For what it's worth NFL.com has him ranked at 254 overall.
He's comparable to kj Dillon who was taken round 4 I believe as well.

morasp

Reaction score
He's comparable to kj Dillon who was taken round 4 I believe as well.

Just reading some of the safety scouting profiles it looks like a really deep class this year. This guy ranked just ahead of woods sounds like a possible preplacement for Church.

Damarius Travis
Minnesota Big Ten
Strengths

Physical player with good size and the desired play demeanor for the position. Force player who will always opt for the more violent strikes. High character player and person. Considered coachable and dependable. Displayed versatility in Gopher defense. Lined up as a box safety, high safety and on the slot. Has box safety instincts against the run. Takes efficient paths to the perimeter from down low. Plays with a spirited effort. Shows ability to handle coverage duties on tight ends. Instincts are solid. Responds quickly to quarterback's intentions. Outstanding special teams talent who can help right now. Finished with 17 special teams tackles during his first two seasons at Minnesota.

http://www.nfl.com/draft/2017/profiles/damarius-travis?id=2558154

I'm excited to see who they end up picking.

stilltheguru88

Reaction score
Just reading some of the safety scouting profiles it looks like a really deep class this year. This guy ranked just ahead of woods sounds like a possible preplacement for Church.

Damarius Travis
Minnesota Big Ten
Strengths

Physical player with good size and the desired play demeanor for the position. Force player who will always opt for the more violent strikes. High character player and person. Considered coachable and dependable. Displayed versatility in Gopher defense. Lined up as a box safety, high safety and on the slot. Has box safety instincts against the run. Takes efficient paths to the perimeter from down low. Plays with a spirited effort. Shows ability to handle coverage duties on tight ends. Instincts are solid. Responds quickly to quarterback's intentions. Outstanding special teams talent who can help right now. Finished with 17 special teams tackles during his first two seasons at Minnesota.

http://www.nfl.com/draft/2017/profiles/damarius-travis?id=2558154

I'm excited to see who they end up picking.
I think almost anyone can replace Church as long as they can get the plays and line everyone up. That's all he brought anyway