XBox Live Gold Membership

Fletch

To The Moon
Reaction score
For Father's Day, my wife bought me the Xbox Live Gold Membership for a whole year. That's about 60 bucks or more. For all you gamers out there, IS IT WORTH IT? Myself, I am not a big gamer. I only play like two games. EA Sports NCAA 2014 (the last time they ever make that game) and Madden. I am definitely considering FIFA 2014. Besides not having the time to play online vs. someone in Okinawa, are the other options -- like movies, music, etc. worth it? Isn't the NFL getting involved in some of this stuff too?

Any help would be appreciative. Thanks in advance.

tantrix1969

Reaction score
Since I got a smart tv not really since I don't use it for netflix anymore but it's necessary if you want to play with friends. You can find it on sale quite often though, found it for $35 last time I bought a year

Nomad

Reaction score
They give you free games each month, (Xbox live games with gold). They change the free ones every 15 days, they've been doing it about a year now. You could almost justify the cost for that, each one averages about $20 and over time you end up with a library of free games..

It used to require Gold to use apps like Netflix/Hulu, but they changed that so it doesn't anymore. You get other small perks, and weekly discounts on movies/games but I'm not sure if that is Gold exclusive. The Gold will be on both consoles if you ever upgrade to the next gen Xbox One. And you can play people online like you know.

Beelzebot

Reaction score
It used to be more necessary if you were looking to use Netflix, etc. I've had a membership for years now, but I play online fairly often. If you don't, it probably isn't something you need to worry too much about.

Tabascocat

Dexternjack
Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
I used mine to download the HBOGO app so I could watch GoT from season one.

BigStar

Stop chasing
Reaction score
They give you free games each month, (Xbox live games with gold). They change the free ones every 15 days, they've been doing it about a year now. You could almost justify the cost for that, each one averages about $20 and over time you end up with a library of free games..

It used to require Gold to use apps like Netflix/Hulu, but they changed that so it doesn't anymore. You get other small perks, and weekly discounts on movies/games but I'm not sure if that is Gold exclusive. The Gold will be on both consoles if you ever upgrade to the next gen Xbox One. And you can play people online like you know.

This is a good summary of the perks to gold. I would just download all the free games every two weeks. Dark Souls was recently released on Gold and is a good game (steep learning curve though) but think the deadline just passed. Charlie Murder (arcade) and Street Fighter IV are available to download on 360. There were some decent games released throughout the year; Dead Island (zombie game), Hitman: Absolution, & Saints Row 3 the last 6 months(ish). They tend to throw in arcade titles more frequently than hard copy games like the ones I listed above but some are still of great quality.

Last edited:

TellerMorrow34

BraveHeartFan
Reaction score
If you played multiplayer then yes it's worth it. They also will give away free games periodically to gold members but those are the two advantages of it.

Tabascocat

Dexternjack
Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
XBox 360 and XBox One no longer need the Gold Subscription to use Netflix or HBO Go. So unless you are a gamer I don't see the need for the membership.

http://www.engadget.com/2014/05/13/xbox-live-gold-netflix-hulu/

Edit, I missed that this was already stated above.

Not true for HBO GO. I had to re-subscribe to gold to use the app. I could download it and install, but to get it to actually play........had to pay the ten bucks. This was about two weeks ago.

Khartun

AmarilloCowboyFan
Reaction score
Not true for HBO GO. I had to re-subscribe to gold to use the app. I could download it and install, but to get it to actually play........had to pay the ten bucks. This was about two weeks ago.

Good to know, thanks

TheDallasDon

AegonTheConqueror-Now bend the knee
Reaction score
PS+ gives you free games, Live just gives you multiplayer and use Netflix and HBO......which PS already gives you free.

I use to be a Xbox guy but their shenanigans made me switch sides

Kevinicus

Reaction score

I believe it went into effect June 9, so just over a week ago.

BigStar

Stop chasing
Reaction score
PS+ gives you free games, Live just gives you multiplayer and use Netflix and HBO......which PS already gives you free.

I use to be a Xbox guy but their shenanigans made me switch sides

Agree completely; Sony gives MUCH more value for the PS Plus subscription. They regularly give away GOOD/GREAT games for download. They just made NBA 2k14 free for download. One of my cult faves "Payday 2" was downloaded off psn for free as well. Uncharted 3 is another top title I remember being free as well.

Beelzebot

Reaction score
The downside to PS+ is that Xbox Live is a far more polished multiplayer experience. Although that won't really matter for the OP.