XP memory error

Smith22

Reaction score
Hi all,

Just today I started getting a virtual memory error and a paging file error. I don't understand why it is happening. I'm running XP and have tried changing the custom size of the paging file under the advanced settings and rebooting and it isn't helping. I have shutdown like every program when logging on and still get the error.

Any ideas would be greatly appreciated.

Smith22

Reaction score
Thanks BP. I'm still messing around with it. I might just have to wipe out the Pagefile.sys and have windows generate a new one.

Smith22

Reaction score
I just went to safe mode and went back a week or so and restored those settings, no errors now. Ran msconfig and stopped a few startup programs as well, but still moving a little slow.

BrAinPaiNt

Mike Smith aka Backwoods Sexy
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
You may wish to get Adaware and or Spybot and run those programs to make sure you do not have any add software on your puter that could slow it down.

You can also do a free online virus scan to check for any worms or trojans.

http://housecall.trendmicro.com/

Smith22

Reaction score
Thanks BP. I already have Ad-aware and I have McAfee Antivirus software.

I'm trying to clean up my harddrive some and defrag it. I haven't defragged in quite some time.

BrAinPaiNt

Mike Smith aka Backwoods Sexy
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Smith22 said:
Thanks BP. I already have Ad-aware and I have McAfee Antivirus software.

I'm trying to clean up my harddrive some and defrag it. I haven't defragged in quite some time.

I use adaware as well...however I also use the spybot program once in awhile and it will catch some stuff that adaware does not catch.