X's and O's Video Breakdown (DAL vs. SEA running game)

Gryphon

Merge Ahead
Reaction score
by CBartel from another sports forum:

Ok today I want to give all of you an in depth look at the problems with Dallas' running attack. This will be a 4 part series. Two of which will be in this post. Use the link below to see the video and see my notes with each play. All questions welcome as always.

http://www.bnbathletics.com/cowboysv...thalf-runs.avi
DIVX format 18MB (right click and save target as to save/ left click to stream)

Ok let me start by saying thank you to TEK. We really appreciate your willingness to do this. Also, I am not makeing excuses for our Offensive Line, but there is something to keep in mind when watching this. The playing surface at Qwest is the same as in Texas Stadium. It is this "astrograss" or "astroplay" it is not exactly grass and not exactly astroturf. When there is moisture on it (as there is in Seattle) it makes it a little more difficult to keep your footing on. Especially if you have been practicing on natural grass as Dallas has in Oxnard. Now that's out of the way, lets get to it. Im going to do three plays at a time. 1-3 now, 4-6 tomorrow, 7-9 tomorrow afternoon, and 10-14 on Saturday. Go to the link to see the video and read below for breakdown:

Play 1) Center (Gerode)-Slow on 1st step, but forces the DT out of the play. B

RG (Rivera)-Steps well initially, but doesn't sink his hips and drive his feet through contact. Gets planted on his back, which disrupts the enitre run. Must create more force and better handplacement to get maximum push. C
RT (Colombo)- Not bad. Good first step, but needs to look for work at the second level as the DT is a nonfactor. B-
TE (Witten)- Needs to do a better job with his hands. Create more punch and drive. B-
F (Fasano)-This will be a reoccuring theme. Needs to anticipate movement up front better. Needs to attack the line off of Rivera's outside hip to avoid getting caught up in the junk. Things like this will happen, he must be better on the move. This will improve as the year goes on. C-
LG (Kosier)- Not bad. Good effort to get to the second level. B
LT (Adams)- Not bad. Would like to see him cover more ground with his 1st step here. B-
A (Jones)- Good initial angle. Gets caught up in the junk of Fasano running into Rivera. Should be running this play to Riveras outside hip via cutback off of Fasano's swab block. B-
WR's- OK. B

2) C (Gerode)- Good job initially, but chip off that DT and catch the DE spilling inside. He secures the DT but could have made this block. B-
LG (Kosier)- Not bad, but as he comes around he needs to turn upfield as soon as he clears Rivera blocking down. Needs to attack the defender more upfield. Turn his shoulders square to the line and get to the second level. Should be helping double the De on his "inside" shoulder or proceed upfield if he is already engaged. B-
LT (Adams)- Good step, but deliver a blow. Don't just catch that DT. If he delivers a punch and drives, he may force the DT into the spilling DE (who ends up making the tackle). Why does his feet stop at contact? Drive your legs and get a push. C
RG (Rivera)- Good job blocking down on the 3 technique. Drive feet and generate a push. Don't just try to use your upper body to force that guy inside. Bring your legs. C+
* If you watch his right leg (just as Jones' body passes the 20), it goes dead. He draggs it across the ground. He needs to run them through the play.
RT (Colombo)- Again, bring your feet! After he helps Witten double the DE, he chips off to the Will and stops right in the hole. Attack him, drive your feet, and force him out of the running lane. C
Y (Witten)- Good job. B
F (Fasano)- Good job attacking the Sam w/ the correct shoulder. Notice his feet when the play ends...still moving. B
A (Jones)- Good job. Nice vision and covering the ball in traffic. Did what he could with what he had vs. 8 man front (Safety comes down). B
WR's- OK. B

3) C (Gerode)- Step w/ left foot and run! Stop dancing with that guy. B
LG (Kosier)- Nice footwork and good cut.
LT (Adams)- What the hell was that Flo? Find somebody to block! If you are gonna go after that guy do something to him or turn upfield and block. D.
RG (Rivera)- That's a good job backside. B
RT (Colombo)- Also good backside. Could have not cut and been able to look for more work, but not bad. B
F (Fasano)- Thats what you're looking for if Adams will get out of the way. B
Y (Witten) Good job, but get more of a push. B-
A (Jones)- Good angle and good idea. Just slipped (see excuse above. lol.)
WR's- Hurd needs to take a better angle to impact the Safety. Good job by Glenn. B.

To be continued...
2nd part
Here are 4-6.
4) C (Gerode)- Excellent. Watch him put the DT (91) on his back! A
LG (Kosier)- Good job chipping off and getting to the Mike. B
LT (Adams)- OK. Not great but OK. B-
RG (Rivera)- Good push. Drive the legs. He almost gets his left ankle rolled here because of this.
RT (Colombo)- OK. B
Y (Fasano)- Step a little more upfield and not so flat when attemting this backside cut. Don't let him get his hands on you so much and cut the inside knee. C
F (Witten)- Get in the mix and clean up the leakage. Not aggressive enough on 3rd and 1. C
FB (Polite)- Excellent job attacking the Will with the correct shoulder and forcing him outside. Stopped the feet a bit at contact, but still very good. A-
WR- No Visual No Grade (NVNG)

5)C- Good job. B
LG- CRITICAL ERROR! Wrong assignment. Steps with the wrong foot and tries to correct it, but it is too late. Should have fired out and blocked the Mike.
*Appears that he didn't hear the call correctly. He thinks the play is being run to the right, when it is actually coming to the left. Mental error and a double minus. F
LT- That sucks Adams! Get into his frame and drive him. If you can't do that, run and cut him. D
RG- Good job. Nice effort to try and get to the second level to cut off the Sam. B+
RT- OK. B
Y- OK. B
F (Fasano)- Good job sealing the end inside and working the feet. B+
A (Jones)- Good job doing what he can. Could have been a better gain and been able to make a move on the corner if Kosier and Adams execute. B
WR-OK. B

6)C- Good job. Nice push. B
LG- Very good impacting the 2nd level. He gets enough of the DT so that Adams can reach him. B+
LT- Needs to gain more ground with his first step. Heads up play not to draw a clipping penalty here. B
RG- Nice job firing out, but needs to work on reaching the outside shoulder of the Mike. This causes him to lose contact with him and get beat. C+
RT- He better bring some force and power the next time we run this play to his side. Playing too high is allowing the Sam to get under his pads and getting him beat. C
Y (Witten)- Good form at the point of attack. Good hand placement, but needs to pull with his left arm, push with his right, and move his feet to force the defender inside and agin position outside. This will allow him to wall of the defender and create a lane between him and the sideline for the back. C+
F- Ok. B
A- Good job of attacking and delivering a blow rather than taking one. Not mush room to manuver here, so good job getting what he can. B
WRs- Good job by Crayton. B (NVNG for Hurd)

Here is 7-9
7) C (Gerode)- Could have been a big play if Gerode does this right. Dose a good job framing up and getting good hand placement. Works his feet OK, but should have pushed with his left arm and pulled with his right to get the DT's (95) shoulders turned. Then positioned himself inside, between the DT and Jones. He loses inside leverage and 95 makes the play. C
LG (Kosier)- Good job, but keep your feet. He over-extends when he reaches the Mike and falls down. C
LT (Adams)- Very good. Fires off and keeps his feet active. Good Job. B+
RG (Rivera)- For crying out loud, Rivera! There's no law against running your feet to help block a DT. He does fine initially, but ends up looking like hes dancing because his feet get stuck in concrete. C-
RT (Colombo)- Not bad, but after he pulls around (about the 10 Yard line) he should look to find work INSIDE not outside. He should have picked up the Safety (32) in run support. No need to block 26 as that is Hurd's responsibility. B-
Y (Witten)- OK at first, but play through the whistle. His guy ends up making the tackle. C
F (Fasano)- Pretty good, but make a decision and stay on somebody. Too indecisive. C+
A- Pretty good. Could have been better if 95 doesn't beat Gerode in the hole. B

8) C (Johnson)- Good job. Nice technique and footwork. A
LG (Proctor)- Pretty good, only work those feet more. B-
LT (McQuistan)- Almost a real good block. Tries to chip off to the second level, but gets tripped up. Needs to gain more ground and punch with his first step. C+
RG (Peterman)- OK, but pull with purpose. Don't just pull around and dive into the pile. Get upfield and move people. B-
RT (Colombo)- Good job. Good seal backside. B
Y (Curtis)- Good. Continue to drive those legs to win the stalemate. B
F (Fasano)- Good job,but don't leave your feet so soon. B-
WRs- Attaboy Crayton! Thats the way to get into the mix and give the back the option (which he doesn't take) to bounce outside. A- Copper does OK here as well. B+
A (Barber)- This could have been a real big play if he just sees the cutback. The Will vacates his fit responsibility and over pursues. The cutback off of Johnson's left hip is there. He just didn't see it. C+

9) C (Johnson)- Good Job. Way to work. B
LT (McQuistan)- Helluva job son! Thats how you drive a DE inside and create movement. A
LG (Proctor)- Good effort, but do a better job impacting the Sam. McQuistan actually blocks the DE so far inside, that he runs into Proctor here a bit.
RG (Peterman)- This is not his fault. Almost gets to his guy (Will), but gets tripped up because Colombo has a brain-fart. B
RT (Colombo)- This sucks. He's supposed to step with his left foot FIRST at a 45 degree angle inside. This will allow him to get his head across the face of the DE and eliminate this kind of penetration. Instead, he steps with the wrong foot (probably because he's right handed and fell into an old habit) and gets beat inside. Thus the DE penetrates and trips up Peterman. F
WRs- Excellent, excellent job by Crayton. This is the type of block a lot of receivers in this league (especially one with Crayton's size) will not make. It allows Barber to bounce it outside. A+ Copper needs to give more effort. Eventhough the play is going the other way, give more effort. C-
Y (Curtis)- Good job. B
F (Fasano)- Good job. B
A (Barber)- Nice vision to bounce outside, but make a move on that corner. You get a better oooh and aaaah out of a 40 yard gain than a 7 yard gain by running over Lance Frazier. Make a move on him and go for the big play. B

Plays 10-14 Sat afternoon.

Yakuza Rich

Reaction score
LG (Kosier)- Not bad. Good effort to get to the second level. B

LG (Kosier)- Not bad, but as he comes around he needs to turn upfield as soon as he clears Rivera blocking down. Needs to attack the defender more upfield. Turn his shoulders square to the line and get to the second level. Should be helping double the De on his "inside" shoulder or proceed upfield if he is already engaged. B-

LG (Kosier)- Nice footwork and good cut.

LG (Kosier)- Good job chipping off and getting to the Mike. B

LG (Kosier)- Good job, but keep your feet. He over-extends when he reaches the Mike and falls down. C

This simply can't be true. Kosier sucks....JFE said so. :rolleyes:

Rich...........

AbeBeta

Reaction score
Great work -- looking forward to this afternoon's report!

MONT17

Reaction score
I cant ge the Video but I have the game on tape so I will try to follow along... would this be a Thread if the OL was good? I dont think so... they are serviceable guys... No Pro Bowlers!

QF (Stephen A. Smith) this reminds me of what the Quincy backers used to do!

can we see his pass in the BK commercial broke down next... just kidding Q backers!

Dont get me wrong your breakdown is right on... I can find the plays in the game based on your breakdown, I dont even need the Vid.... but that is not a full game!!! 1 bad play by the OL can cost u a drive, 3 bad plays by the OL can cost u a game!!!

If u think the OL will not have problems this year then good for you... I hope u are right!

But considering the NFCE teams and blitzing styles and Bledsoe inability to read a defense, I mean, get rid of the ball.... I will be shocked!

AbeBeta

Reaction score
MONT17 said:
Dont get me wrong your breakdown is right on... I can find the plays in the game based on your breakdown, I dont even need the Vid.... but that is not a full game!!! 1 bad play by the OL can cost u a drive, 3 bad plays by the OL can cost u a game!!!

If u think the OL will not have problems this year then good for you... I hope u are right!

Do you ever break down film? I'm going to guess that every team's line makes lots of bad plays each game.

Arch Stanton

it was the grave marked unknown right beside
Reaction score
MONT17 said:
I dont even need the Vid.... but that is not a full game!!!

Its a FOUR part series, two of which were in that post.

I guess that's why he's only broken down part of game. :)

marchetta

Reaction score
Play #14 is the play that injured Crayton. BTW, thanks for the vid. Great job and great analysis.

TEK2000

Reaction score
marchetta said:
Play #14 is the play that injured Crayton. BTW, thanks for the vid. Great job and great analysis.

Yeah.. Barber happened to end up rolling up on his leg. Just unfortunate... I sure hope he's back to full speed before long.

And you're quite welcome for the video.