Xvid, AVI to DVD

Cochese

Benched
Reaction score
Due to recent compute failures, I was forced to purchase a new PC. This new PC also included a DVD burner, which I have never had before. I am wondering what is the best way to get my legal backup copies of films in Xvid or AVI format into a DVD I can watch in a standard player.

Thanks for sharing your knowledge, I look forward to the responses.

silverbear

Semi-Official Loose Cannon
Reaction score
JustSayNotoTO;1522954 said:
Due to recent compute failures, I was forced to purchase a new PC. This new PC also included a DVD burner, which I have never had before. I am wondering what is the best way to get my legal backup copies of films in Xvid or AVI format into a DVD I can watch in a standard player.

Thanks for sharing your knowledge, I look forward to the responses.

If you go to download.com and type in AVI to DVD conversion in the search engine, you'll find a series of them... none of them that I found are completely free, but there are several that offer free trials of 7 days to as much as a month...

Like you, I plan on converting some movies I have on my PC to DVDs that will play on my home system, so I started to investigate the subject, but I haven't gotten around to it yet... never do today what you can put off until tomorrow... LOL...

I figure I'll try one of them that the reviews say is easy to use, then when the trial period expires, delete the program and download another...

If you got an HP DVD burner with the LightScribe features, make sure to spend a coupla bucks more for a stack of LightScribe enabled DVD-Rs, you can easily make the nicest labels for your DVDs, instead of writing on them with Sharpies... I love that feature on my burner...

Cochese

Benched
Reaction score
What format is native to DVD? When I am screening through files to download, what format should I look for to minimize the hassel?

Kevinicus

Reaction score
Did the computer not come with some sort of software? Nero perhaps?

Are you just wanting to make a copy of them? Or are you wanting to make them into a video DVD with menus and everything that you can watch on a normal DVD player? If you just backing them up and will only access them on your compuer, then you can just make a data DVD, which won't require any conversion.

I would imagine the computer came with some sort of burning software.

Edit: I reread your message, and saw you wanted to use it on your home system. So yeah, you'll need some kind of software. I don't have much experience with programs outside of nero really, which came with my DVD burner. DVD video files are .vob files. They are basically Mpeg-2.

Cochese

Benched
Reaction score
My computer came with some Roxio piece of crap that cant even handle AC3 audio support. I take it you like the Nero program? I saw Nero 7 at Frys last night, but diddnt feel like paying 80$ for it.

Cochese

Benched
Reaction score
Alright, so I downloaded a program called Cheetah that seems simple enough to use, but the conversion to dvd is going to take the better part of the afternoon. Im gonna hate to see how long it takes to get through a television season.

Viper

Reaction score
Nero is a good program, but it is costly.

Winavi converter is okay, pm and I can give you the key to v.8.0. It does give you alot of options!

If you wish to "backup" your dvd's the best out there is slysofts anydvd. It will make a copy of anydvd, well worth the money. It is very simple to use.

AVI DIVX to DVD SVCD VCD converter is a good one, been looking for a crack for it:laugh2: .

Cochese

Benched
Reaction score
Winavi looked like what I needed to solve my problems....

but it doesnt like Windows vista, it gets to 97% finished in the conversion and says there is an error.

I cant believe how difficult this is.