Yahoo Sports: Ngata not a Bill's target

dwmyers

Reaction score
Url: http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/news;_ylt=ArROV1oPnvYZNk.lcWJgeuc5nYcB?slug=cr-meetings032906&prov=yhoo&type=lgns

The focus of the article is actually Losman, but the first bullet item was the thing I thought to be interesting:

Speaking of Buffalo, word in scouting circles is that the Bills are not targeting Oregon defensive tackle Haloti Ngata with the No. 8 selection in the draft. That's a surprise for those who thought he was a natural fit for Buffalo's pick (including yours truly). Apparently, Ngata doesn't fit Buffalo's plans in the Cover 2 defense. One scouting source indicated Tuesday that USC offensive tackle Winston Justice could be the Bills' true target in the first round.

When you start seeing things like this, you know the draft is getting closer ;).

David.

aikemirv

Reaction score
CrazyCowboy said:
Personally, I hope he slides to #18.....what a steal :D

If you saw him play in the bowl game, I am not so sure you would say he is a steal at 18...but maybe his skills translate to NT in the NFL a bit better.

Nevertheless, how does a NT not fit into your cover 2 scheme. Last I checked they don't cover anybody?

JPM

Reaction score
I like Justice, but man that's early for him to go.

Billy Bullocks

Reaction score
aikemirv said:
If you saw him play in the bowl game, I am not so sure you would say he is a steal at 18...but maybe his skills translate to NT in the NFL a bit better.

Nevertheless, how does a NT not fit into your cover 2 scheme. Last I checked they don't cover anybody?

Actually, if you watched that Bowl Game, Oregon shut down the Oklahoma RB's for most of the game. Ngata is money. I see him play every weekend, and he's a beast. Nice guy too. If he's there at 18, wouldnt mindhim at all.

DLCassidy

Reaction score
Buffalo really can't go wrong as long as like their 1st 5 picks weigh 300 pounds or more. Both their lines stink. Maybe they like Bunkley better- they do play a 4-3.

Hiero

Reaction score
Sitting Bull said:
So, Ngata to the Bills...Check mark..:D
honestly ive been hearing over and over they dont want the fat DT's they are trying to switch towards having two pass rushing dt types.

littlewebs

Everything I type is a lie. Except that. And that.
Reaction score
Ngata could be described as a player that gets bored sometimes. I watch him, and he'll dominate for 2 or 3 plays. Then he'll sort of play patty-cake with the 3 offensive linemen that are triple-teaming him on the next play. His only downside is the occasional lack of motor. He has the skills of an elite DT in the NFL.

ghst187

Reaction score
i was hoping that "Bill's" was referring to Bill Parcells not Buffalo because I was hoping I was going to read about how we weren't interested in a 345 pound first round career-ending knee injury waiting to happen...again.

SittingBull...dude your mock draft stinks..no offense but other than Carpenter...there isn't a potential starter in there.

Hiero

Reaction score
ghst187 said:
i was hoping that "Bill's" was referring to Bill Parcells not Buffalo because I was hoping I was going to read about how we weren't interested in a 345 pound first round career-ending knee injury waiting to happen...again.

SittingBull...dude your mock draft stinks..no offense but other than Carpenter...there isn't a potential starter in there.
Ngata would be a great pick for us, finally an elite NT. Like someone said, the only bad thing, besides the injury he had a long time ago, is thta sometimes when hes like triple or quadruple teamed he gets a bit lazy, but I would really love to have him.

ghst187

Reaction score
I think the knee injury concerns are quite valid, his bad one wasn't that long ago and he injured a knee again in the bowl game. Plus, I saw nothing in his play to think he's worth a first round pick.
We can find short, fat guys on day 2 to do the same job. We need an impact player with first round picks, not a fat, backup, injury-prone, blocker-magnet. If we wanted someone like that, we could've gotten Sam Adams or Grady Jackson this offseason for about 2 mil, probably cheaper than a first round pick. Sure only a stop gap, but proven and effective.

cowboysfan31

Reaction score
I don't know how true this is, but I remember reading in an article awhile back that Ngata only has 10% Bf. I highly doubt that was true, but if it is even close to that it would be incredible for his size.