Yankees are idiots but the Nationals Throw

SDogo

Not as good as I once was but as good once as I ev
Reaction score
$126 Mil over 8 years at Jayson Werth and they are just aggressive:laugh2:.

YosemiteSam

Unfriendly and Aloof!
Reaction score
They overpaid. The average of $18M is overpaying in my mind, but making it for 7 years is cardinal sin for Werth. (it is 7 years btw)

The guy has never hit .300, his OBP is sub .400, his strikeout to walk ratio is almost 2-1, and while he has some power, he didn't even reach 30HRs last year. (27)

That is in no way deserving of $126M contract. The Nationals owners (Ted Lerner) is about as stupid as Tom Hicks was in signing A-Roid for that idiot contract. That sounds wrong considering Lerner is a self made man who attended George Washington University.

/shurg That signing is a big fat FAIL.

MichaelWinicki

"You want some?"
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
nyc;3733115 said:
They overpaid. The average of $18M is overpaying in my mind, but making it for 7 years is cardinal sin for Werth. (it is 7 years btw)

The guy has never hit .300, his OBP is sub .400, his strikeout to walk ratio is almost 2-1, and while he has some power, he didn't even reach 30HRs last year. (27)

That is in no way deserving of $126M contract. The Nationals owners (Ted Lerner) is about as stupid as Tom Hicks was in signing A-Roid for that idiot contract. That sounds wrong considering Lerner is a self made man who attended George Washington University.

/shurg That signing is a big fat FAIL.

The Nationals were in a "no win" spot. Either they make a big move or lose what fans they have left, after letting Dunn sign with the White Sox.

I've been to Nats park, it's a beautiful place for baseball. The team hasn't had a winning season in several years. It's phenom pitcher is on the shelf through the 2011 season.

The team needed some hope for 2011.

Plus they took a player from a very good divisional rival, which will benefit everyone else in the NL.

Yeah, they overpaid for the guy, but sometimes you have to make a bold move.

tko112204

Reaction score
MichaelWinicki;3734135 said:
The Nationals were in a "no win" spot. Either they make a big move or lose what fans they have left, after letting Dunn sign with the White Sox.

I've been to Nats park, it's a beautiful place for baseball. The team hasn't had a winning season in several years. It's phenom pitcher is on the shelf through the 2011 season.

The team needed some hope for 2011.

Plus they took a player from a very good divisional rival, which will benefit everyone else in the NL.

Yeah, they overpaid for the guy, but sometimes you have to make a bold move.

The "we had to overpay" idea that small market and non-contending clubs use to justify bad contracts is hilarious. A guy goes to the highest bidder 98/100 times. Contracts like these are why non-contending clubs stay non-contending.

MichaelWinicki

"You want some?"
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
tko112204;3734375 said:
The "we had to overpay" idea that small market and non-contending clubs use to justify bad contracts is hilarious. A guy goes to the highest bidder 98/100 times. Contracts like these are why non-contending clubs stay non-contending.

It's a not a small market team.

The Yankees have been giving contracts out like this one for many years. So has Boston and several others who have been contenders.

I guess it would have been better for National's brain-trust to sit on their hands after the loss of Adam Dunn.

Yeah, that would have been good for the club and the fans of the Nationals.

tko112204

Reaction score
MichaelWinicki;3734427 said:
It's a not a small market team.

The Yankees have been giving contracts out like this one for many years. So has Boston and several others who have been contenders.

I guess it would have been better for National's brain-trust to sit on their hands after the loss of Adam Dunn.

Yeah, that would have been good for the club and the fans of the Nationals.

You must have missed the part where I mentioned "non-contending" teams as well as small market ones. Oh well.

The point is, sitting on their hands WOULD have been better for the long-term health of their team. They are not ready to compete now, and won't be for 3 or 4 years. They would have been better served waiting to splurge on a FA closer to their "winning window".

Instead, they vastly overpaid for a player in his 30s that has only had 2 qualifying seasons in his career. There is a better than even-money chance that the Werth contract is an albatross in 3 years when the rest of their team is ready to contend. Spending that money on over-slot guys in the draft for the next couple years and then spending on FA when they were ready to contend seems to be the more prudent route.

I think they panicked.

MichaelWinicki

"You want some?"
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
tko112204;3734537 said:
You must have missed the part where I mentioned "non-contending" teams as well as small market ones. Oh well.

The point is, sitting on their hands WOULD have been better for the long-term health of their team. They are not ready to compete now, and won't be for 3 or 4 years. They would have been better served waiting to splurge on a FA closer to their "winning window".

Instead, they vastly overpaid for a player in his 30s that has only had 2 qualifying seasons in his career. There is a better than even-money chance that the Werth contract is an albatross in 3 years when the rest of their team is ready to contend. Spending that money on over-slot guys in the draft for the next couple years and then spending on FA when they were ready to contend seems to be the more prudent route.

I think they panicked.

You could be right.

But run that thought across all the season ticket holders of the Nationals and see if they think waiting until their "winning window" arrives and then signing an expensive free agent is a good for them. :)

The Nationals don't lose their high first round draft pick either.

tko112204

Reaction score
MichaelWinicki;3734639 said:
You could be right.

But run that thought across all the season ticket holders of the Nationals and see if they think waiting until their "winning window" arrives and then signing an expensive free agent is a good for them. :)

The Nationals don't lose their high first round draft pick either.

So appeasing your fans is tantamount to intelligently and responsibly building your team?

Gotcha.

MichaelWinicki

"You want some?"
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
tko112204;3734668 said:
So appeasing your fans is tantamount to intelligently and responsibly building your team?

Gotcha.

:rolleyes:

You just don't get it.

And who says that they aren't building it responsibly?

I mean, who says?

tko112204

Reaction score
MichaelWinicki;3734685 said:
:rolleyes:

You just don't get it.

And who says that they aren't building it responsibly?

I mean, who says?

I don't get what?

That a team that can presumably only afford one "superstar" contract decided to use that asset on a 32 year old outfielder with 3 good seasons, no GREAT ones, and laundry list of injury issues?

EVERYONE says the contract was a mistake. Seriously, just search for Jayson Werth+Contract. It turned baseball upside down.

But I don't get it? Ok.

Pleasure doin' business with ya.

MichaelWinicki

"You want some?"
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
tko112204;3734719 said:
I don't get what?

That a team that can presumably only afford one "superstar" contract decided to use that asset on a 32 year old outfielder with 3 good seasons, no GREAT ones, and laundry list of injury issues?

EVERYONE says the contract was a mistake. Seriously, just search for Jayson Werth+Contract. It turned baseball upside down.

But I don't get it? Ok.

Pleasure doin' business with ya.

Why not let the Nationals decide what's best for them?

I think the contract is heavy too, but I won't condemn a franchise for trying to break out of the "irrelevant" category.

I don't think the fans of the Royals, Pirates or several other "irrelevants" would pitch a fit if their teams decided to take a chance like that.

tko112204

Reaction score
MichaelWinicki;3734745 said:
Why not let the Nationals decide what's best for them?

I think the contract is heavy too, but I won't condemn a franchise for trying to break out of the "irrelevant" category.

I don't think the fans of the Royals, Pirates or several other "irrelevants" would pitch a fit if their teams decided to take a chance like that.

If they understood baseball they would.

tko112204

Reaction score
I mean, 7 for 150M would have gotten them Crawford. And if you don't think Carl Crawford is worth 24 million more Jayson Werth over the next 7 years, than I don't want to know you.

(That's a general "you" of course, our debate has been friendly Michael.)

MichaelWinicki

"You want some?"
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
tko112204;3734763 said:
I mean, 7 for 150M would have gotten them Crawford. And if you don't think Carl Crawford is worth 24 million more Jayson Werth over the next 7 years, than I don't want to know you.

(That's a general "you" of course, our debate has been friendly Michael.)

I like Carl Crawford. I just don't think he's better than Werth. I don't like Crawford's low walk totals. His power isn't anything to write home about. His defense is better. He's younger and he's faster. The Nats were looking for someone to replace Dunn in the lineup. Crawford wouldn't do that.

It will be interesting to see what Crawford gets.