Yet Another Final 53 Projection

jday

Reaction score
The following is my own pedestrian attempt at guessing the Cowboys final 53. The Cowboys front office has done an excellent job of creating competition from top to bottom which made deciding some positions extremely difficult. For instance, the Cowboys have somewhat of a log-jam at both Defensive End and Defensive Tackle, made all the more complicated by the suspensions of Randall Gregory and David Irving. A few guys may make the roster as placeholders and nothing more, though, I’d say there are even odds at this point that the Cowboys cut Randall Gregory once he is reinstated. That decision, however, likely hinges on what the other players at defensive end are able to do in his absence in the upcoming seasn.

The bolded players are my projected starters:

OFFENSE

Quarterback

Dak Prescott

Kellen Moore

Of all the reasons we Cowboys fans have to be thankful, beyond what Dak brings as a rising star, the fact that he is actually physically built to weather NFL hits is a significant advantage over the one-hit-away-from-NFL-obscurity that life with Romo became. As such, the Cowboys will most likely go light at the position keeping only Kellen Moore and likely sliding the best of the rest to the practice squad, if feasible.

Running Back

Ezekiel Elliott

Darren McFadden

Keith Smith

Rod Smith

I like Alfred Morris; both as a player and as a person…and that’s saying a lot considering his former allegiances. The problem with keeping Alfred is two-fold: 1. Even he will tell you that to be effective he needs to see the ball multiple times to get in a rhythm (which ain’t happening with Zeke on the team) and 2. He doesn’t play special teams. Keeping the Smiths gives the Cowboys two full back options and two good special teamers. Furthermore, I suspect both Switzer and Elliott will combine to fulfill the role that was etched-out for Dunbar in 2016.

Tight End

Jason Witten

Geoff Swaim

Rico Gathers

We keep waiting for father time to catch up to Witten, but he keeps proving that position-savvy and good-old-fashion-know-how still beats speed. That said, I predict a significant dip in Witten’s touches this year, as the Cowboys will be likely looking for reasons and ways to get Beasley and Switzer on the field at the same time as much as is possible. That said, the Cowboys may go lighter here than they have in years past. The only exception to this being made is if James Hanna gives the Cowboys more on Special Teams than another position the Cowboys may consider going long in. After all, more than anything, Special Teams is typically what truly decides who makes the bottom of the roster.

Wide Receiver

Dez Bryant

Terrance Williams

Cole Beasley

Ryan Switzer

Brice Butler

Once again, Special Teams could dictate going longer here and receiving ability will most likely have nothing to do with the Cowboys going longer here. If Special Teams is the reason, Lucky just might get lucky, and find his way on the final 53 once again. Noah Brown and Andy Jones is another option here, but once again, their abilities in Special Teams will be the deciding factor.

Offensive Line

Tyron Smith

Lael Collins

Travis Frederick

Zack Martin

Jonathan Cooper

Chaz Green

Joe Looney

Byron Bell

Emmett Cleary

This was easier than I thought it was going to be. Ultimately, and especially for the Cowboys offensive line, overall experience will dictate who the Cowboys keep. For now I have Cooper penciled in at starting Left Guard, but of course, he won’t earn that role without one heck of a fight. Green, Looney, Bell and Cleary will likely all be given a shot to supplant him. But for now, given his draft pedigree and physical potential surrounded by the worth ethics of the best offensive line in football, I’m going to give Cooper the nod.

Overall I have gone inordinately light on the offensive side of the ball because given the youth across the board on defense the Cowboys will likely want to implement a rotation in positions beyond just the defensive line this year. Furthermore, the defense also has the most injury risk: Sean Lee, Jaylon Smith, Orlando Scandrick, Jeff Heath, Demarcus Lawrence, Tyrone Crawford, and Charles Tapper have all dealt with health issues recently; the Cowboys will certainly want insurance policies already on the roster should the injury bug strike again. This also affords the Cowboys some flexibility in holding positions open for David Irving and Randall Gregory when (and if) they return in 2017.

DEFENSE:

Defensive End

Demarcus Lawrence

Taco Charlton

Charles Tapper

Demontre Moore

Benson Mayowa

Both Moore and Mayowa are on the bubble. Whomever shows more between now and the final cuts will get to keep Randall Gregory’s spot on the bench warm while the weaker of the two will hold David Irving’s spot until he returns in Week 5. Either way, given the additions of Tapper and Taco and the pending return of Irving and Gregory, Moore and Mayowa likely do not survive 2017 on this team…unless the Cowboys are only awaiting Gregory’s return to move forward with cutting him, which is very much possible.

Defensive Tackle

Maliek Collins

Tyrone Crawford

Stephen Paea

Cedric Thornton

For now, I’m leaning towards experience for who the Cowboys keep here. The bottom of the 2017 draft additions Joey Ivie and Jordan Carrell very well could replace one of if not both of the bottom two guys: Paea and Thornton. But until we see it in training camp / preseason, it would be foolish to assume the rookies will show more than the veterans. Carrell and Ivie look practice squad bound, for the time being.

Linebacker

Sean Lee

Jaylon Smith

Anthony Hitchens

Damien Wilson

Kyle Wilber

Mark Nzeocha

John Lotulelei

I went longer here because Sean Lee and Jaylon Smith very well could be injuries/re-injuries waiting to happen.

Corner

Orlando Scandrick

Nolan Carroll

Anthony Brown

Chidobe Awuzie

Jourdan Lewis

Jeremiah McKinnon

Leon McFadden

I believe the Cowboys may go heavier at corner than usual this year. Obviously, the bottom guys will be key contributors on Special Teams. But I also think the Cowboys would like the flexibility to move Chidobe around much like they did with Byron Jones in his first year. Also, the Cowboys seem to suffer more injuries to this position than any other position every season and will want extra guys who can slide in and not miss a beat.

Safety

Byron Jones

Jeff Heath

Kavon Frazier

Xavier Woods

For now, the Strong Safety position is Heath’s to lose. What I suspect may end up happening, however, over the course of the season is that Heath will be used the majority of the time, with Xavier Woods potentially sliding in on obvious pass plays, considering his penchant for finding the ball that he displayed in college.

Special Teams

Dan Bailey

Chris Jones

LP Ladouceur

Not much to say here other than you don’t get much more special than those three at their particular craft.

Offense – 23

Defense – 27

Special Teams – 3

Thoughts?

DoctorChicken

Reaction score
The following is my own pedestrian attempt at guessing the Cowboys final 53. The Cowboys front office has done an excellent job of creating competition from top to bottom which made deciding some positions extremely difficult. For instance, the Cowboys have somewhat of a log-jam at both Defensive End and Defensive Tackle, made all the more complicated by the suspensions of Randall Gregory and David Irving. A few guys may make the roster as placeholders and nothing more, though, I’d say there are even odds at this point that the Cowboys cut Randall Gregory once he is reinstated. That decision, however, likely hinges on what the other players at defensive end are able to do in his absence in the upcoming seasn.

The bolded players are my projected starters:

OFFENSE

Quarterback

Kellen Moore

Dark Prescott

Of all the reasons we Cowboys fans have to be thankful, beyond what Dak brings as a rising star, the fact that he is actually physically built to weather NFL hits is a significant advantage over the one-hit-away-from-NFL-obscurity that life with Romo became. As such, the Cowboys will most likely go light at the position keeping only Kellen Moore and likely sliding the best of the rest to the practice squad, if feasible.

Running Back

Ezekiel Elliott

Darren McFadden

Keith Smith

Rod Smith

I like Alfred Morris; both as a player and as a person…and that’s saying a lot considering his former allegiances. The problem with keeping Alfred is two-fold: 1. Even he will tell you that to be effective he needs to see the ball multiple times to get in a rhythm (which ain’t happening with Zeke on the team) and 2. He doesn’t play special teams. Keeping the Smiths gives the Cowboys two full back options and two good special teamers. Furthermore, I suspect both Switzer and Elliott will combine to fulfill the role that was etched-out for Dunbar in 2016.

Tight End

Jason Witten

Geoff Swaim

Rico Gathers

We keep waiting for father time to catch up to Witten, but he keeps proving that position-savvy and good-old-fashion-know-how still beats speed. That said, I predict a significant dip in Witten’s touches this year, as the Cowboys will be likely looking for reasons and ways to get Beasley and Switzer on the field at the same time as much as is possible. That said, the Cowboys may go lighter here than they have in years past. The only exception to this being made is if James Hanna gives the Cowboys more on Special Teams than another position the Cowboys may consider going long in. After all, more than anything, Special Teams is typically what truly decides who makes the bottom of the roster.

Wide Receiver

Dez Bryant

Terrance Williams

Cole Beasley

Ryan Switzer

Brice Butler

Once again, Special Teams could dictate going longer here and receiving ability will most likely have nothing to do with the Cowboys going longer here. If Special Teams is the reason, Lucky just might get lucky, and find his way on the final 53 once again. Noah Brown and Andy Jones is another option here, but once again, their abilities in Special Teams will be the deciding factor.

Offensive Line

Tyron Smith

Lael Collins

Travis Frederick

Zack Martin

Jonathan Cooper

Chaz Green

Joe Looney

Byron Bell

Emmett Cleary

This was easier than I thought it was going to be. Ultimately, and especially for the Cowboys offensive line, overall experience will dictate who the Cowboys keep. For now I have Cooper penciled in at starting Left Guard, but of course, he won’t earn that role without one heck of a fight. Green, Looney, Bell and Cleary will likely all be given a shot to supplant him. But for now, given his draft pedigree and physical potential surrounded by the worth ethics of the best offensive line in football, I’m going to give Cooper the nod.

Overall I have gone inordinately light on the offensive side of the ball because given the youth across the board on defense the Cowboys will likely want to implement a rotation in positions beyond just the defensive line this year. Furthermore, the defense also has the most injury risk: Sean Lee, Jaylon Smith, Orlando Scandrick, Jeff Heath, Demarcus Lawrence, Tyrone Crawford, and Charles Tapper have all dealt with health issues recently; the Cowboys will certainly want insurance policies already on the roster should the injury bug strike again. This also affords the Cowboys some flexibility in holding positions open for David Irving and Randall Gregory when (and if) they return in 2017.

DEFENSE:

Defensive End

Demarcus Lawrence

Taco Charlton

Charles Tapper

Demontre Moore

Benson Mayowa

Both Moore and Mayowa are on the bubble. Whomever shows more between now and the final cuts will get to keep Randall Gregory’s spot on the bench warm while the weaker of the two will hold David Irving’s spot until he returns in Week 5. Either way, given the additions of Tapper and Taco and the pending return of Irving and Gregory, Moore and Mayowa likely do not survive 2017 on this team…unless the Cowboys are only awaiting Gregory’s return to move forward with cutting him, which is very much possible.

Defensive Tackle

Maliek Collins

Tyrone Crawford

Stephen Paea

Cedric Thornton

For now, I’m leaning towards experience for who the Cowboys keep here. The bottom of the 2017 draft additions Joey Ivie and Jordan Carrell very well could replace one of if not both of the bottom two guys: Paea and Thornton. But until we see it in training camp / preseason, it would be foolish to assume the rookies will show more than the veterans. Carrell and Ivie look practice squad bound, for the time being.

Linebacker

Sean Lee

Jaylon Smith

Anthony Hitchens

Damien Wilson

Kyle Wilber

Mark Nzeocha

John Lotulelei

I went longer here because Sean Lee and Jaylon Smith very well could be injuries/re-injuries waiting to happen.

Corner

Orlando Scandrick

Nolan Carroll

Anthony Brown

Chidobe Awuzie

Jourdan Lewis

Jeremiah McKinnon

Leon McFadden

I believe the Cowboys may go heavier at corner than usual this year. Obviously, the bottom guys will be key contributors on Special Teams. But I also think the Cowboys would like the flexibility to move Chidobe around much like they did with Byron Jones in his first year. Also, the Cowboys seem to suffer more injuries to this position than any other position every season and will want extra guys who can slide in and not miss a beat.

Safety

Byron Jones

Jeff Heath

Kavon Frazier

Xavier Woods

For now, the Strong Safety position is Heath’s to lose. What I suspect may end up happening, however, over the course of the season is that Heath will be used the majority of the time, with Xavier Woods potentially sliding in on obvious pass plays, considering his penchant for finding the ball that he displayed in college.

Special Teams

Dan Bailey

Chris Jones

LP Ladouceur

Not much to say here other than you don’t get much more special than those three at their particular craft.

Offense – 23

Defense – 27

Special Teams – 3

Thoughts?

I think it's pretty accurate for now but I made one change I definitely think should happen

jazzcat22

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I think, or more like want to see Brown making them keep 6 WR's.
If hands is healthy, then I think they keep 4 TE's.

Going longer on DL over DB's.
McKinnon and McFadden are out, though Leon could push for a spot.
Maybe White makes it, but a total of 9 DB's. Maybe 10 if only 9 DL.
Also 10 on the DL, 6 LB's. Lotulelei on the PS. Ivy may make it, with Irving suspended.

This is as of today, but also thinking they would be heavy on TE's if Rico is as good as they say he has been looking. And I prefer to keep an extra player on defense.
Will rethink all of this right before TC.

jday

Reaction score
I think, or more like want to see Brown making them keep 6 WR's.
If hands is healthy, then I think they keep 4 TE's.

Going longer on DL over DB's.
McKinnon and McFadden are out, though Leon could push for a spot.
Maybe White makes it, but a total of 9 DB's. Maybe 10 if only 9 DL.
Also 10 on the DL, 6 LB's. Lotulelei on the PS. Ivy may make it, with Irving suspended.

This is as of today, but also thinking they would be heavy on TE's if Rico is as good as they say he has been looking. And I prefer to keep an extra player on defense.
Will rethink all of this right before TC.
The Cowboys may move away from going 4 deep at TE simply because they were never able to make the 12 personnel grouping the potent weapon it was supposed to be. With the addition of Switzer, I think we will see 10 more which makes keeping 4 TE's overkill. I could easily see McKinnon being cut in favor of going deeper on the DL. And I certainly could see White making it, but from what I've seen of him he is extremely raw. I don't think the Cowboys would have any issues getting him past waivers. Leon McFadden has actually played in NFL games, so he's a borderline lock over White and McKinnon. I chose McKinnon over White simply because McKinnon has a year of experience in this system, so for now he has the advantage. Obviously, that could change very quickly come preseason.

JoeyBoy718

Reaction score
Why are all the boneheads on defense? Three young players with start potential have jeopardized their Cowboys careers (not including idiots we picked up like Greg Hardy and Ro McClain).

Gregory might never play again. Could've been our RDE of the future.

Irving is out the first four games. Add that on top of the fact that Gregory is out.

Now Damien Wilson getting caught up with this drama. Doesn't help that Jaylon Smith is still a question mark.

jday

Reaction score
Why are all the boneheads on defense? Three young players with start potential have jeopardized their Cowboys careers (not including idiots we picked up like Greg Hardy and Ro McClain).

Gregory might never play again. Could've been our RDE of the future.

Irving is out the first four games. Add that on top of the fact that Gregory is out.

Now Damien Wilson getting caught up with this drama. Doesn't help that Jaylon Smith is still a question mark.
If there wasn't enough pressure on Jaylon playing this season and playing well...{smh}

Before the week is out, the Cowboys will likely make a move to bring in an insurance policy for the impending worst case scenario.

Irvin88_4life

Reaction score
White will make this roster

Seems DL is tough to figure out

I don't think we keep that many LBs

Overall great job. I understand your reasoning for the picks you made and it may possibly end up week 1. Training camp and preseason will be huge......plus guys that can stay out of trouble

jday

Reaction score
White will make this roster

Seems DL is tough to figure out

I don't think we keep that many LBs

Overall great job. I understand your reasoning for the picks you made and it may possibly end up week 1. Training camp and preseason will be huge......plus guys that can stay out of trouble
I figured the White cut may raise some eyebrows. My problem with creating a 53 man projection this early in the game is that in most cases I'm going to lean towards experience over youth, even though, it is always me preference to stick with youth where you can. For this selection, I leaned on what I know about White which is he is very much a project; very raw for a corner. As such, I think the Cowboys have a good chance of sliding him to the practice squad past waivers. McKinnon and McFadden are at least more familiar with the system, which is why they got the nod over White. Of course, that all could change very quickly come training camp.

I honestly think (especially now with Damien Wilson's pending suspension/cut) the Cowboys are handcuffed to going long here. Sean Lee has only one season of remaining healthy for the entire season, and that was last year...and he is in his thirties. We want to, but we just can't count on Sean Lee staying healthy. At this point, we don't even know if Jaylon is playing this year. We think so, but we don't know so. While the coaches certainly know more about Jaylon's chances of playing than anyone, they also know there is a significant chance he re-injures it. The Cowboys have to have guys who can step in should the Cowboys have to do without either or both of them. This is not a position the Cowboys are going to want to have to plug a guy in who was sitting on the coach a week prior. They need that guy already on the team.

Irvin88_4life

Reaction score
I figured the White cut may raise some eyebrows. My problem with creating a 53 man projection this early in the game is that in most cases I'm going to lean towards experience over youth, even though, it is always me preference to stick with youth where you can. For this selection, I leaned on what I know about White which is he is very much a project; very raw for a corner. As such, I think the Cowboys have a good chance of sliding him to the practice squad past waivers. McKinnon and McFadden are at least more familiar with the system, which is why they got the nod over White. Of course, that all could change very quickly come training camp.

I honestly think (especially now with Damien Wilson's pending suspension/cut) the Cowboys are handcuffed to going long here. Sean Lee has only one season of remaining healthy for the entire season, and that was last year...and he is in his thirties. We want to, but we just can't count on Sean Lee staying healthy. At this point, we don't even know if Jaylon is playing this year. We think so, but we don't know so. While the coaches certainly know more about Jaylon's chances of playing than anyone, they also know there is a significant chance he re-injures it. The Cowboys have to have guys who can step in should the Cowboys have to do without either or both of them. This is not a position the Cowboys are going to want to have to plug a guy in who was sitting on the coach a week prior. They need that guy already on the team.
Between Smith, Lee, Hitchens, Nacho and John I think we are OK if an injury happens. Again I understand your point and it's a high possibility that happens.

While experience usually trumps youth Leon and McKinnon aren't top veterans that will be hard to beat out. While White needs to develop he can compete right now and you will see that in training camp. These guys are bench guys, sure they could help but the upside is much more higher in White.

jday

Reaction score
Between Smith, Lee, Hitchens, Nacho and John I think we are OK if an injury happens. Again I understand your point and it's a high possibility that happens.

While experience usually trumps youth Leon and McKinnon aren't top veterans that will be hard to beat out. While White needs to develop he can compete right now and you will see that in training camp. These guys are bench guys, sure they could help but the upside is much more higher in White.
This 53 is certainly subject to mass changes once we know more about the rookies. For now, I have us cutting quite a few guys that were actually drafted this year (Noah Brown, Joey Ivie, Jordan Carrell, Marquez White), which is not something you see a team in the NFL do often. On the other hand, the veterans I'd have to cut to keep the rookies just didn't seem realistic either; the lone exception being White over McKinnon and McFadden. The only reason I gave those two the nod over white is because of their experience in this system and what scouting tape I've seen on White, which wasn't all that impressive.

That said, I fully admit I didn't watch alot of White so my first impression very well may be inaccurate. For now, I have him slotted for practice squad, but I do hope he changes my mind in training camp.

Last edited:

Irvin88_4life

Reaction score
This 53 is certainly subject to mass changes once we know more about the rookies. For now, I have us cutting quite a few guys that were actually drafted this year (Noah Brown, Joey Ivie, Jordan Carrell, Marquez White), which is not something you see a team in the NFL do often. On the other hand, the veterans I'd have to cut to keep the rookies just didn't seem realistic either; the lone exception being White over McKinnon and McFadden. The only reason I gave those two the nod over white is because of their experience in this system and what scouting tape I've seen on White, which wasn't all that impressive.

That said, I fully admit I didn't watch alot of White so my first impression very well may be inaccurate. For now, I have him slotted for practice squad, but I do hope he changes my mind in training camp.
All the things you say could happen. Great job and I always enjoy your info.

For the first time we have competition across the roster

jday

Reaction score
All the things you say could happen. Great job and I always enjoy your info.

For the first time we have competition across the roster
The fact that I had to cut 4 rookies that we just drafted to make that 53 a reality tells you everything you need to know about the collective talent level of this group. Normally, we've got UDFA's making the team and now we can't even fit our entire draft class on the roster. Today's experience was absolutely night and die from previous years stabs at it.