Yo-Yo Ma and Lil Buck duet

Wimbo

Reaction score
This is fantastic. Yo-Yo Ma is the world's most celebrated cellist. Lil Buck is a dancer who I had not heard of prior to this video. He obviously has some classical training, but is also apparently an artist that uses that training along with street/hip-hop influence to 'paint' his interpretation of the music through dance.

[youtube]C9jghLeYufQ[/youtube]

YosemiteSam

Unfriendly and Aloof!
Reaction score
Yo-Yo Ma is awesome, but I couldn't watch that guy dance to Yo-Yo's playing. Watching the two "as a pair" was like ranking fingernails across a chalkboard. (for me anyhow)

TheCount

Pixel Pusher
Reaction score
Lil Buck made his name off this performance but he's not classically trained. He's doing a street style of dance called Jookin' that's been around since the late 80's and originated in the south.

I think this collaboration is great for that very reason. If someone had seen him dancing to the music this is typically set to, they'd easily discard it. But because he's teamed with a classical musician, the art of the dance is more easily accepted.

Sam I Am;4468280 said:
Yo-Yo Ma is awesome, but I couldn't watch that guy dance to Yo-Yo's playing. Watching the two "as a pair" was like ranking fingernails across a chalkboard. (for me anyhow)

That's a shame because clearly they've both inspired each other.

YosemiteSam

Unfriendly and Aloof!
Reaction score
TheCount;4468284 said:
That's a shame because clearly they've both inspired each other.

Maybe, but to me it came off like this.

[youtube]AHb4gs1hwck[/youtube]

:laugh2:

Wimbo

Reaction score
TheCount;4468284 said:
Lil Buck made his name off this performance but he's not classically trained.

Lil Buck constantly looked to his teachers and dancers on film and television — such as Michael Jackson and Michael Chambers -- for inspiration. His style is also influenced by the two years of classical training he received at the New Ballet Ensemble and School in Memphis, and he refers to Jookin as “urban ballet,” noting a similar smoothness about the two techniques.

http://www.realvail.com/community-c...esidence-at-Vail-International-Dance-Festival