You guys misunderstood what Jerry meant by "we're all in."

plasticman

Reaction score
Would you want to play for a team that willingly tanks a season?

Would you play for a coach that doesn't do his very best to prepare his team for games and acts as if he knows this will be his last season?

Would you want to be the "lame duck" quarterback for a franchise that is deliberately attempting to undermine your ability to win games just so they can replace you next season?

My team plays every second of every down as though they still have a chance to win. My team plays every game as though they want the best possible positioning before the playoffs.

If my team shows any signs whatsoever, that they are tanking a season they are no longer my team under any condition.

If the goal of my team is to obtain favorable draft position for next season then I realize this franchise does not inspire, excite, motivate or anything else to earn the pride of its fans. They are losers no matter what the final outcome happens to be.

Bullflop

Cowboys Diehard
Reaction score
At this point, it seems what Jerry meant by "all in" was far more about the players to be released than those acquired.:huh: :grin: :muttley:

Last edited:

kskboys

Reaction score
Basically what he was saying was we're all in on tanking next year so we can start fresh with a new head coach and a different starting quarterback.
Hope so. Unfortunately, I think that's the besty course of action at this time.

kskboys

Reaction score
Would you want to play for a team that willingly tanks a season?

Would you play for a coach that doesn't do his very best to prepare his team for games and acts as if he knows this will be his last season?

Would you want to be the "lame duck" quarterback for a franchise that is deliberately attempting to undermine your ability to win games just so they can replace you next season?

My team plays every second of every down as though they still have a chance to win. My team plays every game as though they want the best possible positioning before the playoffs.

If my team shows any signs whatsoever, that they are tanking a season they are no longer my team under any condition.

If the goal of my team is to obtain favorable draft position for next season then I realize this franchise does not inspire, excite, motivate or anything else to earn the pride of its fans. They are losers no matter what the final outcome happens to be.
Tanking has zero to do w/ the players or coaches. It is strictly on the FO.

Jimmy was the king of tanking. So, yes, I'd love to play for the 89-90 Cowboys.

Here's what you're missing: Those losing seasons lead to the core of your franchise being acquired. You think Nick Bosa came from the team winning? And where is this losing attitude w/ SF? Cincy doesn't touch the super bowl w/ players such as Lamaar Chase, a high draft pick that came from a losing season.

Where is this proof of a team sucking for a couple years carrying on for years afterward?

fivetwos

Reaction score
At this point, it seems what Jerry meant by "all in" was far more about the players to be released than those acquired.:huh: :grin: :muttley:
Ahhhh…..the addition by subtraction thing.

I gotta try that at my next poker game. Take money OUT of the pot while expecting to win more….while I’m sitting there with my nine and a seven.

Maybe I can draft a five in the fourth and call it blackjack, and a winner. Sell it that way.

Maybe I’m just a little pissed off over this act. Not sure….

Bullflop

Cowboys Diehard
Reaction score
Ahhhh…..the addition by subtraction thing.

I gotta try that at my next poker game. Take money OUT of the pot while expecting to win more….while I’m sitting there with my nine and a seven.

Maybe I can draft a five in the fourth and call it blackjack, and a winner. Sell it that way.

Maybe I’m just a little pissed off over this act. Not sure….
LOL -- maybe Jerry should have called his plans "all out", instead of "all in." :omg:

It really appears we'd better have an amazing draft to rectify his likely results. ;)

Last edited:

fivetwos

Reaction score
LOL -- maybe Jerry should have called his plans "all out", instead of "all in." :omg:

It really appears we'd better have an amazing draft to rectify his likely results. ;)
A “down period” would be one thing, and nothing to complain over, but this is just pure arrogance on top of incompetence.

Yeah, 12 wins, great. Anyone who thinks the arrow points up from here isn’t paying much attention to how pro sports works.

So, even after the inevitable imminent regression, if they happen to get lucky yet again and build a team with a window through the draft, we already know they won’t supplement it enough through free agency because the kid has to have a bargain or he won’t do it.

I mean, where’s the hope? I’m really trying to come to terms with it all, but it’s meant so much. It’s not easy. I guess that’s my fault but man…just why??

Whyjerry

Reaction score
Basically what he was saying was we're all in on tanking next year so we can start fresh with a new head coach and a different starting quarterback.
I think when Jerry says all in he means more of the same which includes endless marketing spin to make the fans believe this time is different. It must be getting harder to sell season tickets and merchandise. I truly think the Goodwill built from 1970 to 1999 is over and that old carnival barker and his son know they need to amp up the lies.

plasticman

Reaction score
Tanking has zero to do w/ the players or coaches. It is strictly on the FO.

Jimmy was the king of tanking. So, yes, I'd love to play for the 89-90 Cowboys.

Here's what you're missing: Those losing seasons lead to the core of your franchise being acquired. You think Nick Bosa came from the team winning? And where is this losing attitude w/ SF? Cincy doesn't touch the super bowl w/ players such as Lamaar Chase, a high draft pick that came from a losing season.

Where is this proof of a team sucking for a couple years carrying on for years afterward?
Jimmy Johnson did not tank the 1989 season. He had no reason to. The Cowboys already had their #1 overall draft pick stud quarterback. Besides, there was nothing to tank for. They had forfeited their 1st round pick for the following year because they took Seve Walsh in the supplemental draft.

The Cowboys did not deliberately tank 1989 in order to get a high draft pick, they were simply that bad, with or without Herschel Walker. No matter how high or low they ended up in the win column, they were going to get the Vikings #1 pick so there was no incentive to tank.

Quite the opposite. Even at that point I knew the Cowboys were going to be special simply by the way they fought. They were outmatched but there was no giving up.

PA Cowboy Fan

Reaction score
Jimmy Johnson did not tank the 1989 season. He had no reason to. The Cowboys already had their #1 overall draft pick stud quarterback. Besides, there was nothing to tank for. They had forfeited their 1st round pick for the following year because they took Seve Walsh in the supplemental draft.

The Cowboys did not deliberately tank 1989 in order to get a high draft pick, they were simply that bad, with or without Herschel Walker. No matter how high or low they ended up in the win column, they were going to get the Vikings #1 pick so there was no incentive to tank.

Quite the opposite. Even at that point I knew the Cowboys were going to be special simply by the way they fought. They were outmatched but there was no giving up.
Yep. By mid 1990 I could tell they were starting to turn the corner.

Reaction score
I'm thinking he meant that all the chips are in for this iteration of the team, there will be no next hand for MM and maybe even Dak,,,

Rockport

AmberBeer
Reaction score
I didnt and many of us here didn’t.