You look bored so I mocked for you!

Tobal

Reaction score

Ok I'm bored you might not be, so I thought I would do this differently. This is a fan speak premium draft. I modified the big board half way through the 2nd round.using Kiper and CBS to adjust it. I try not to trade too much, but it's hard not to gamble and bail out when your pet cats are taken.

I'm posting a few picks before and notable guys around my picks. guys in green are guys I made at least some effort to trade up for, blue are my picks and guys in orange are guys I debated taking, first few rounds I put alot as we get deeper I put less

11 S CALVIN PRYOR TENNESSEE TITANS
12 OT JAKE MATTHEWS NEW YORK GIANTS
13 OT ZACK MARTIN ST. LOUIS RAMS
14 DT AARON DONALD CHICAGO BEARS
15 OT TAYLOR LEWAN PITTSBURGH STEELERS
16 OLB DEE FORD ARIZONA CARDINALS even my fall back guys are taken, so I bail a few spots knowing there still good talent, but not loving on of them decisively..
17 CB DARQUEZE DENNARD BALTIMORE RAVENS
18 WR MIKE EVANS NEW YORK JETS
19 CB JUSTIN GILBERT MIAMI DOLPHINS
20 ILB C.J. MOSLEY DALLAS COWBOYS Love Mosely, but I really wanted to take jernigan, but knowing the teams 1 tech thoughts
25 DT TIMMY JERNIGAN SAN DIEGO CHARGERS
31 DE KONY EALY DENVER BRONCOS
I had him much higher on the big board, because he seems to be moving up, no clue why he lasted so long.

2nd Round

37 DE SCOTT CRICHTON ATLANTA FALCONS couldn't get anyone to trade down without giving up the farm
39 S JIMMIE WARD JACKSONVILLE JAGUARS
43 DE MARCUS SMITH NEW YORK GIANTS

46 DT RA’SHEDE HAGEMAN PITTSBURGH STEELERS somewhat relieved he was taken, yea I know
47 WR KELVIN BENJAMIN NEW ORLEANS SAINTS I bailed, didn't get value on my trade back either oops

48 WR DONTE MONCRIEF BALTIMORE RAVENS
53 S LAMARCUS JOYNER GREEN BAY PACKERS I know guys are high on him, but I haven't watched him yet
54 DE STEPHON TUITT PHILADELPHIA EAGLES
55 DE TRENT MURPHY CINCINNATI BENGALS

58 G GABE JACKSON DALLAS COWBOYS Just a beast, love the thought of him and Frederick in the middle
59 G ANTHONY STEEN INDIANAPOLIS COLTS
60 OT JOEL BITONIO CAROLINA PANTHERS really had a tough decision here, really like this guy

3rd Round
67 DT DOMINIQUE EASLEY OAKLAND RAIDERS
69 DT WILL SUTTON TAMPA BAY BUCCANEERS
77 DT KELCY QUARLES SAN FRANCISCO 49ERS

78 S TERRENCE BROOKS DALLAS COWBOYS I was excited Brooks was here I really likehis game and I think he'd help our secondary.
86 DT JUSTIN ELLIS PHILADELPHIA EAGLES I almost took Ellis over brooks, nonstop motor and mean, quick even though he's bigger than we like, but I thought he'd last until 91, I should have noticed the run on DT's at the beginning of this round
89 OT BILLY TURNER SAN DIEGO CHARGERS Tons of talent in this guy, might just need good coaching
91 DE DEMARCUS LAWRENCE DALLAS COWBOYS rushman, holds up against the run pretty well, lots of pass rush moves
93 G DAKOTA DOZIER NEW ENGLAND PATRIOTS

4th Round

115 RB LACHE SEASTRUNK DALLAS COWBOYS value pick
122 DE JAMES GAYLE DALLAS COWBOYS Good explosion off the edge, we need that. He has trouble with adjusting to finish the play, but hopefully he'll force the QB off his spot.

5th Round
146 DT DEANDRE COLEMAN DALLAS COWBOYS
he's not gonna be in during nickle situations, but I think he has some value in collapsing the pocket and stopping the run.

6th Round
186 CB AARON COLVIN DALLAS COWBOYS Physical and talented needs to learn to control it

7th Round
206 WR MATT HAZEL DALLAS COWBOYS
Not a size speed guy, but he's smooth, gets open and catches the ball
208 CB DONTAE JOHNSON DALLAS COWBOYS Large CB /FS off Coverage guy, zone
215 DE AARON LYNCH DALLAS COWBOYS can he mature?

tm1119

Reaction score
Not a fan of Gayle but everything else looks good. Think you have too many picks there for only trading down 4 spots though. Looks like you added a 3rd, 4th, and 6th. Unless I'm missing something else

Tobal

Reaction score
Seems like I picked up a 4th and a 6th for the drop from 16 to 20 ugh on the value , picked up the extra 3rd for the drop in the 2nd round.

xwalker

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
It looks like you put some thought into it.

I'm not a big fan of drafting a 4-3 LB that early, but it does appear to be a safeguarding pick.

I'm not a huge fan of Jackson. He will jack people up at times, but he just not consistently good and does not play with as much power as expected. He's going to have to make changes to his pass pro technique in the NFL. I also don't think he the best fit forms the Cowboys zone scheme.

I like Brooks but I really like some of the guys you thought about taking. Billy Turner, Dozier and Ellis are all really good prospects.

I'm not a big fan of D.Coleman.

Gayle is worth a shot based on physical upside.

I like Dontae Johnson.

My favorite pick might be Aaron Lynch in the 7th. If not for the mental makeup issues, I believe he would have been a 1st round pick. I have his raw physical ability ranked 2nd in this draft at DE.

Macnalty

Reaction score
I question drafting Colvin, he just had the ACL surgery and playing this year without a training camp is questionable. I do like Colvins talent just not in the 6th. Give me a backup QB who has fallen down the charts like Brett Smith or Murray. I like the picks maybe not who I would of chosen but solid choices. Keep hoping we snag Storm Johnson RB in the seventh along with Norwood WR Alabama.
I agree that Kelvin Benjamin being passed on in this draft will be lamented for some time(serious WR talent will be bypassed to shore up this defense). Stephen has come out and said our attention to QB's and WR is very much misplaced could be smoke screen like in years past.
Looks like the media is starting to agree on Donald to the Bears, last month they were buying Jernigan.

AsthmaField

Outta bounds
Reaction score
Wow, a lot of work and I appreciate all you put into this.

Having said that, I'm not real thrilled with some of your picks.

Mosely, is a good player but I would be very, very surprised if Dallas went LB in round 1. They did say they didn't want to draft a 1-tech in the first, but what they didn't say is that they don't want to draft a LB for this scheme in the first either. The team feels like you can find a perfectly acceptable LB candidate after round 1, and I agree with them. When they ran a 34 defense, LB was an impact position, but in the 43 it simply isn't. They would do it in the second, but not the first IMO.

They look at DE, 3-tech DT, and CB as the positions that you spend a first round pick on and since I don't think they'll go with a corner in this year's first round, I would expect them to pick a 3-Tech or DE in the first if they go defense.

In this instance, I think they would probably try to trade back but they wouldn't take Mosely. I think in this example they would probably go with Jernigan (and I would agree) even though they said they don't want a 1-tech in the first because they can find them later. They'll do that before going LB. I'm not crazy about Ealy, but I think they'd take him before Mosely as well.

More than likely, Dee Ford wouldn't go that early and he would be in play for us if we trade back from 16.

Sydla

Reaction score
If Tuitt is there at 47, you take him, not trade out of that pick.

rwalters31

Reaction score
Ok I'm bored you might not be, so I thought I would do this differently. This is a fan speak premium draft. I modified the big board half way through the 2nd round.using Kiper and CBS to adjust it. I try not to trade too much, but it's hard not to gamble and bail out when your pet cats are taken.

I'm posting a few picks before and notable guys around my picks. guys in green are guys I made at least some effort to trade up for, blue are my picks and guys in orange are guys I debated taking, first few rounds I put alot as we get deeper I put less

11 S CALVIN PRYOR TENNESSEE TITANS
12 OT JAKE MATTHEWS NEW YORK GIANTS
13 OT ZACK MARTIN ST. LOUIS RAMS
14 DT AARON DONALD CHICAGO BEARS
15 OT TAYLOR LEWAN PITTSBURGH STEELERS
16 OLB DEE FORD ARIZONA CARDINALS even my fall back guys are taken, so I bail a few spots knowing there still good talent, but not loving on of them decisively..
17 CB DARQUEZE DENNARD BALTIMORE RAVENS
18 WR MIKE EVANS NEW YORK JETS
19 CB JUSTIN GILBERT MIAMI DOLPHINS
20 ILB C.J. MOSLEY DALLAS COWBOYS Love Mosely, but I really wanted to take jernigan, but knowing the teams 1 tech thoughts
25 DT TIMMY JERNIGAN SAN DIEGO CHARGERS
31 DE KONY EALY DENVER BRONCOS
I had him much higher on the big board, because he seems to be moving up, no clue why he lasted so long.

2nd Round
37 DE SCOTT CRICHTON ATLANTA FALCONS couldn't get anyone to trade down without giving up the farm
39 S JIMMIE WARD JACKSONVILLE JAGUARS
43 DE MARCUS SMITH NEW YORK GIANTS
46 DT RA’SHEDE HAGEMAN PITTSBURGH STEELERS somewhat relieved he was taken, yea I know
47 WR KELVIN BENJAMIN NEW ORLEANS SAINTS I bailed, didn't get value on my trade back either oops

48 WR DONTE MONCRIEF BALTIMORE RAVENS
53 S LAMARCUS JOYNER GREEN BAY PACKERS I know guys are high on him, but I haven't watched him yet
54 DE STEPHON TUITT PHILADELPHIA EAGLES
55 DE TRENT MURPHY CINCINNATI BENGALS
58 G GABE JACKSON DALLAS COWBOYS Just a beast, love the thought of him and Frederick in the middle
59 G ANTHONY STEEN INDIANAPOLIS COLTS
60 OT JOEL BITONIO CAROLINA PANTHERS really had a tough decision here, really like this guy

3rd Round
67 DT DOMINIQUE EASLEY OAKLAND RAIDERS
69 DT WILL SUTTON TAMPA BAY BUCCANEERS
77 DT KELCY QUARLES SAN FRANCISCO 49ERS

78 S TERRENCE BROOKS DALLAS COWBOYS I was excited Brooks was here I really likehis game and I think he'd help our secondary.
86 DT JUSTIN ELLIS PHILADELPHIA EAGLES I almost took Ellis over brooks, nonstop motor and mean, quick even though he's bigger than we like, but I thought he'd last until 91, I should have noticed the run on DT's at the beginning of this round
89 OT BILLY TURNER SAN DIEGO CHARGERS Tons of talent in this guy, might just need good coaching
91 DE DEMARCUS LAWRENCE DALLAS COWBOYS rushman, holds up against the run pretty well, lots of pass rush moves
93 G DAKOTA DOZIER NEW ENGLAND PATRIOTS

4th Round

115 RB LACHE SEASTRUNK DALLAS COWBOYS value pick
122 DE JAMES GAYLE DALLAS COWBOYS Good explosion off the edge, we need that. He has trouble with adjusting to finish the play, but hopefully he'll force the QB off his spot.

5th Round
146 DT DEANDRE COLEMAN DALLAS COWBOYS
he's not gonna be in during nickle situations, but I think he has some value in collapsing the pocket and stopping the run.

6th Round
186 CB AARON COLVIN DALLAS COWBOYS Physical and talented needs to learn to control it
7th Round
206 WR MATT HAZEL DALLAS COWBOYS
Not a size speed guy, but he's smooth, gets open and catches the ball
208 CB DONTAE JOHNSON DALLAS COWBOYS Large CB /FS off Coverage guy, zone

I hope you are very wrong! I would consider this a major blow to the Cowboys and send us into another 10 years of 8-8 or more likely 4-12 to 6-10. No thanks!

tm1119

Reaction score
I hope you are very wrong! I would consider this a major blow to the Cowboys and send us into another 10 years of 8-8 or more likely 4-12 to 6-10. No thanks!

Lol how? Who out of the first 5 picks is a bad pick? You can question the late picks, but the 6th and 7th rounds are like playing the lottery anyway.

Sydla

Reaction score
Lol how? Who out of the first 5 picks is a bad pick? You can question the late picks, but the 6th and 7th rounds are like playing the lottery anyway.

Well as I said passing up Tuitt, who some say could still find his way into the first round, to trade down and take Jackson, who some sites rate as a 3rd round player would seem peculiar.

Tobal

Reaction score
Wow, a lot of work and I appreciate all you put into this.

Having said that, I'm not real thrilled with some of your picks.

Mosely, is a good player but I would be very, very surprised if Dallas went LB in round 1. They did say they didn't want to draft a 1-tech in the first, but what they didn't say is that they don't want to draft a LB for this scheme in the first either. The team feels like you can find a perfectly acceptable LB candidate after round 1, and I agree with them. When they ran a 34 defense, LB was an impact position, but in the 43 it simply isn't. They would do it in the second, but not the first IMO.

They look at DE, 3-tech DT, and CB as the positions that you spend a first round pick on and since I don't think they'll go with a corner in this year's first round, I would expect them to pick a 3-Tech or DE in the first if they go defense.

In this instance, I think they would probably try to trade back but they wouldn't take Mosely. I think in this example they would probably go with Jernigan (and I would agree) even though they said they don't want a 1-tech in the first because they can find them later. They'll do that before going LB. I'm not crazy about Ealy, but I think they'd take him before Mosely as well.

More than likely, Dee Ford wouldn't go that early and he would be in play for us if we trade back from 16.

I don't disagree, Ford being taken was not expected If it was my decision I'd take Jernigan, Ford if available, then Mosely. I like Jernigan more than most on here. I let the possible smoke screen of not taking a 1 tech influence me.

Tabascocat

Dexternjack
Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
I will lose another gasket if they take a LB in the first, especially if Ealy or Jernigan is there.

Tobal

Reaction score
If Tuitt is there at 47, you take him, not trade out of that pick.

Where are you playing Tuitt? I think he's a late 1st round player as a 5 tech, but I think if you play him as a 3 tech he's no better than Sutton or Easley. I think he can play some spot duty at LE, but he's no better than a 4th or 5th round option. I might be wrong on him, but I just never saw him as a fit in the 2nd round.

Jackson on the other hand he's not nimble at the 2nd level, but he wins at the 1st level in both the running game and the passing game. Watch the you tube of him against LSU I felt he dominated the los, and I think he was ok pulling. My one gripe is It seems he's a little slow getting off the ball from time

Alexander

What's it going to be then, eh?
Reaction score

Since we apparently have a thing for UCF defensive lineman, I would expect Lynch to be a target of ours. Though probably a little before the seventh.

Sydla

Reaction score
Where are you playing Tuitt? I think he's a late 1st round player as a 5 tech, but I think if you play him as a 3 tech he's no better than Sutton or Easley. I think he can play some spot duty at LE, but he's no better than a 4th or 5th round option. I might be wrong on him, but I just never saw him as a fit in the 2nd round.

Jackson on the other hand he's not nimble at the 2nd level, but he wins at the 1st level in both the running game and the passing game. Watch the you tube of him against LSU I felt he dominated the los, and I think he was ok pulling. My one gripe is It seems he's a little slow getting off the ball from time

He's better than Sutton or Easley as the 3 tech. I am not saying take Tuitt for sure there, but taking Jackson over him in the 2nd would be silly IMO. You can find Jackson types in the 3rd and 4th rounds.

xwalker

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
He's better than Sutton or Easley as the 3 tech. I am not saying take Tuitt for sure there, but taking Jackson over him in the 2nd would be silly IMO. You can find Jackson types in the 3rd and 4th rounds.

Just based on pure talent and not considering the injury risks, Easley is much better than Sutton or Tuitt.

Now if you said that Tuitt might be as good as Hageman, then I might agree with that.

mrmason67

Reaction score
i think this is a better draft.
1. T. Jernigan or K. Ealy
2. Ra. Hageman or S. Tuitt
3. T. Brooks or D. Easley or K. Quarles
4. BAP DL or DE
5. BAP OL or WR or RB
6. BAP OL or WR or RB
7. BAP DL or DE

we have to hit on the first 4 picks and then find a sleeper in the later rounds.

Sydla

Reaction score
Just based on pure talent and not considering the injury risks, Easley is much better than Sutton or Tuitt.

Now if you said that Tuitt might be as good as Hageman, then I might agree with that.

Pure talent? They are comparable. Both highly rated coming out of high school, Tuitt had the better college career because he wasn't hurt nearly as much.

So yea, given the fact Easley's working on two ACL tears now, Tuitt is likely the better player at this point.

xwalker

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Pure talent? They are comparable. Both highly rated coming out of high school, Tuitt had the better college career because he wasn't hurt nearly as much.

So yea, given the fact Easley's working on two ACL tears now, Tuitt is likely the better player at this point.

If we're going by ratings out of high school, then Seantrel Henderson would be the #1 overall pick.

Easley, even after 1 ACL was much more talented, especially as a projected 4-3 DLineman, than Tuitt. Very few people would disagree with me on that one. For a guy to still be rated as a 2nd round pick despite 2 ACL injuries, he had to have been really good when healthy. Tuitt is projected as possibly a 2nd round pick despite being healthy.