Young oline prospects

jnday

Reaction score
The more I read about the young oline prospects on this board , the more concerned I become . Costa , Nagy , Kolwalski and Arkin have created so much hope with posters , that some think that drafting one more lineman will actually fix our problems . Why ? What have these young guys done ? Have our standards been lowered so much ?
Costa is a second year center that ranked 31st out of 32 centers . He gets abused up the middle , and his snaps are worse than Gurode . He is a strong player that plays weak .
Nagy was rated as one of the worst guards in the league . He is small , weak and has little room to get stronger . He couldn't even start in college and it wasn't only due to his scooter injury . He just wasnt that good .
Kowalski seems better than Costa . Who isn't ? I did see some hope that he had more talent than the usual UDFA . He could make a solid backup at best .
Arkin was drafted as a two or three year project . If he ever starts , it will take a while . He had problems with the physical and mental side of the game this year . He is a gamble , just like AOA , Stanback and many others .

Are these players the answer ? I don't think so .
How many more years can Romo survive behind these quality players ?
A new oline coach and strength coach can only do so much . They can't make these guys have talent .
One free agent or draft pick will only have a small impact .
What do you think and why ?

johnnyd

Reaction score
jnday;4428814 said:
The more I read about the young oline prospects on this board , the more concerned I become . Costa , Nagy , Kolwalski and Arkin have created so much hope with posters , that some think that drafting one more lineman will actually fix our problems . Why ? What have these young guys done ? Have our standards been lowered so much ?
Costa is a second year center that ranked 31st out of 32 centers . He gets abused up the middle , and his snaps are worse than Gurode . He is a strong player that plays weak .
Nagy was rated as one of the worst guards in the league . He is small , weak and has little room to get stronger . He couldn't even start in college and it wasn't only due to his scooter injury . He just wasnt that good .
Kowalski seems better than Costa . Who isn't ? I did see some hope that he had more talent than the usual UDFA . He could make a solid backup at best .
Arkin was drafted as a two or three year project . If he ever starts , it will take a while . He had problems with the physical and mental side of the game this year . He is a gamble , just like AOA , Stanback and many others .

Are these players the answer ? I don't think so .
How many more years can Romo survive behind these quality players ?
A new oline coach and strength coach can only do so much . They can't make these guys have talent .
One free agent or draft pick will only have a small impact .
What do you think and why ?

I think the hope on some of those guys is coming from the excellent coachscout thread(s) at least with Nagy. Maybe it's wishfull thinking for others . Otherwise i think the majority of posters truly believe we need 2 guards as well as a center which is why you still see so many people drooling for a nicks ,decastro, myers coupling this offseason

Flinger

Reaction score
Defense...

Let the young ones develop... Acquire a center in FA...

Defense...

jnday

Reaction score
Flinger;4428867 said:
Defense...

Let the young ones develop... Acquire a center in FA...

Defense...

That is my point . How do you delelop a player that doesn't have talent to begin with ? How many games are going to be won without Romo ? Romo has been injured the last couple of years . You can upgrade the defense all you want , but you won't win 4 games if Romo is not able to play .

CCBoy

Reaction score
jnday;4428933 said:
That is my point . How do you delelop a player that doesn't have talent to begin with ? How many games are going to be won without Romo ? Romo has been injured the last couple of years . You can upgrade the defense all you want , but you won't win 4 games if Romo is not able to play .

You know, good coaches that make men of them, and hold them fully accountable and at task for all their actions. Not just potential....

Picksix

A Work in Progress
Reaction score
jnday;4428933 said:

How do you know they don't have talent to begin with? The only player you have any kind of a decent handle on at this point is Costa. You're right, they definitely to improve there. But we saw very little of Arkin, and not much more than that on Kowalski and Nagy. To say they have no room for development is premature at this point.

You don't give up on players you just drafted a year ago, just because they don't knock it out of the park their first year. A while back we drafted a Tackle in the third round, coming off a season where we went 7-9 and missed the playoffs. Although we didn't have a great OL at the time, this rookie didn't play at all. He needed work on his technique before he was ready to play at the NFL level. A lot of people on this board would have written him off, and said we need to get someone else. That guy's name was Erik Williams, and he turned out all right.

Sure, you have plenty of guys that don't work out, but unless it's clear the guy can't play, it's too soon to write any of them off. Except for Costa, none of us have seen enough of any of them to make a really strong conclusion either way.

jnday

Reaction score
:lmao:
Picksix;4428950 said:
How do you know they don't have talent to begin with? The only player you have any kind of a decent handle on at this point is Costa. You're right, they definitely to improve there. But we saw very little of Arkin, and not much more than that on Kowalski and Nagy. To say they have no room for development is premature at this point.

You don't give up on players you just drafted a year ago, just because they don't knock it out of the park their first year. A while back we drafted a Tackle in the third round, coming off a season where we went 7-9 and missed the playoffs. Although we didn't have a great OL at the time, this rookie didn't play at all. He needed work on his technique before he was ready to play at the NFL level. A lot of people on this board would have written him off, and said we need to get someone else. That guy's name was Erik Williams, and he turned out all right.

Sure, you have plenty of guys that don't work out, but unless it's clear the guy can't play, it's too soon to write any of them off. Except for Costa, none of us have seen enough of any of them to make a really strong conclusion either way.
I understand your point of view , I really do . I have noticed that these young olinemen are the only positions on the team that some posters are content to risk the future on . Fans are content to risk that Nagy will develop into a player . What about Albright at LB , Butler at CB or Ross at CB ? I wouldn't care to risk the future on these type of players . They are jags . Nagy or Costa are only different in the fact that they are linemen . They are jags as well . They have done nothing to prove otherwise . I have read post after post that says that we should play these guys . I am not wanting to bet the future on these guys .