YouTube TV

Idgit

Fattening up
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I'm curious to see what they were thinking about when they had their pricing meeting. They've priced it to compete with cable, but their competition is Netflix/Amazon at a much lower price point. And network content isn't as good, generally, as what Netflix/Amazon have already.

I think it fails. Or they end up dropping pricing to the $10/month level where I'd consider it. Will be interesting to see how it plays out, though.

yimyammer

Reaction score
I wonder how the cloud DVR works.

I'm so addicted to my DVR, I can't watch shows unless I can fast forward past commercials (plus I like to pause & rewind when necessary)

seriously, I'll just quit watching the show altogether, the commercials completely ruin the momentum for me

in some ways I wish the DVR had never been invented because I pretty much quit watching TV (except the Cowboys) prior to my buddy turning me on to the DVR (damn him!)

TheCount

Pixel Pusher
Reaction score
I'm curious to see what they were thinking about when they had their pricing meeting. They've priced it to compete with cable, but their competition is Netflix/Amazon at a much lower price point. And network content isn't as good, generally, as what Netflix/Amazon have already.

I think it fails. Or they end up dropping pricing to the $10/month level where I'd consider it. Will be interesting to see how it plays out, though.

I'm sure the deals they had to make with the Networks helps determine the pricing. I doubt Youtube is making much money off this deal at all.

All those networks also provide their feeds and content elsewhere. They aren't going to give it dirt cheap to Youtube and cut the legs out from under themselves elsewhere.

The best part, for me, is that you can have up to 6 unique accounts on one subscription. Young professionals living with roomates and families might gladly subscribe and split that $35 to make it just $6 per account.

Idgit

Fattening up
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I'm sure the deals they had to make with the Networks helps determine the pricing. I doubt Youtube is making much money off this deal at all.

All those networks also provide their feeds and content elsewhere. They aren't going to give it dirt cheap to Youtube and cut the legs out from under themselves elsewhere.

The best part, for me, is that you can have up to 6 unique accounts on one subscription. Young professionals living with roomates and families might gladly subscribe and split that $35 to make it just $6 per account.

Content is King. If they can make it work, great. I know I was expecting to get an account for the house, and the price point scared me off. The lure of network programming isn't strong enough for me. Though I'm sure they have an appealing content plan for the long run.

big dog cowboy

THE BIG DOG
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I'm so addicted to my DVR, I can't watch shows unless I can fast forward past commercials (plus I like to pause & rewind when necessary)

seriously, I'll just quit watching the show altogether, the commercials completely ruin the momentum for me

in some ways I wish the DVR had never been invented because I pretty much quit watching TV (except the Cowboys) prior to my buddy turning me on to the DVR (damn him!)
Sounds like you are describing me. All my shows are DVR'ed. I don't watch anything but local news and sports live. I hate commercials so bad, my remote control buttons are worn out from my constant flipping if I'm not watching something DVR'ed.

yimyammer

Reaction score
Sounds like you are describing me. All my shows are DVR'ed. I don't watch anything but local news and sports live. I hate commercials so bad, my remote control buttons are worn out from my constant flipping if I'm not watching something DVR'ed.

I hear ya

If the DVR is the devil, then the two tuner option is the devils son because I can watch two shows simultaneously by watching the 1st one live and letting the buffer build up of the other show on the 2nd tuner. Then I switch when a commercial starts on the 1st tuner, rinse and repeat until both shows are done.

I don't spend less time watching TV because of the DVR, I watch more than ever

Never saw that coming

TheCount

Pixel Pusher
Reaction score
Content is King. If they can make it work, great. I know I was expecting to get an account for the house, and the price point scared me off. The lure of network programming isn't strong enough for me. Though I'm sure they have an appealing content plan for the long run.

Agreed on the lack of compelling content, but I actually doubt they have much planned to make it more appealing.

They've kind of played their "original content" hand with Youtube Red, and I don't think many people are biting on that either.

I think they will probably get some heavy Youtube consumers to buy into Youtube TV, but it doesn't really have mass appeal in my opinion.

CashMan

Reaction score
I wonder how this will work. I live around Chicago and I would assume get local feeds. What if I wanted to get the Dallas feed of Fox on gameday? Or my local Comcast Sportsnet?

CashMan

Reaction score
I wonder how this will work. I live around Chicago and I would assume get local feeds. What if I wanted to get the Dallas feed of Fox on gameday? Or my local Comcast Sportsnet?

I did the chat and asked. The answer was no.

Supercowboy1986

Reaction score
Agreed on the lack of compelling content, but I actually doubt they have much planned to make it more appealing.

They've kind of played their "original content" hand with Youtube Red, and I don't think many people are biting on that either.

I think they will probably get some heavy Youtube consumers to buy into Youtube TV, but it doesn't really have mass appeal in my opinion.

Agree about YouTube red. I may be the minority but I don't care about "content creators" on YouTube especially when I don't know who most, if not all of them are. My brother (36!) showed me this random YouTuber he found because his "subscription" goal was to get 500,000 new subs in a week. If he got that (spoiler alert, he did) he would sit in a bathtub with a lobster and let it pinch him. My brother thought it was the most hilarious thing he had ever seen, I couldn't believe it.

It's interesting how YouTube has evolved. All I see now are thumbnails with bright colors/images and people making stupid faces to get views. Not to mention all the reaction videos that exist. I'll pass on all of that.

Super_Kazuya

Reaction score
From what I understand it works well. Keep in mind it is intended for people who want to watch live TV, not Hulu/Netflix type stuff. I'm really happy with DIRECTV Now, but I'm glad to see a similarly priced alternative if things go south with it.

DanteEXT

Reaction score
I pay the same for PS Vue and have a few more channels. Plus no Roku? I'll have to pass for now. Sad though, I have hopes for this and/or Hulu after DirecTV Now crashed and burned my interest at launch.

65fastback2plus2

Reaction score

Content is king...which is why Youtube TV is DIFFERENT and what will set them apart.

Its filling the gaps of what people lose when cutting cable/satellite.

Some quotes from some articles.

What you get and what you don't
YouTube TV offers plenty of live sports, one of the chief reasons people stick with cable. Pick a team, and the service automatically records all the televised games it can find. Available channels include ESPN, Big Ten and sports networks from Comcast, Fox and CBS — but not Turner networks such as TBS and others that aired the bulk of March Madness. New York Mets fans won't get baseball games on SNY.

At launch, YouTube TV has 40-plus channels, including the five broadcast networks and local and national sports channels.

Their goal, is to add national and LOCAL sports channels to their entire lineup.

Idgit

Fattening up
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Also, $35 / 6 people is $5.83 a person...cant get much cheaper.

That still requires you to find 6 people and to divvy up the bill each month.

It all depends whether or not they can get a real content advantage. Though to compete with Netflix in that regard right now because it's episodic content that drives subscription services and Netflix is investing heavily in generating exclusive content. Obviously, this is google, and they have the pockets to compete.

I see this and assume it's just their counter to Amazon so they're in position to keep pace down the road as the market evolves. The same way they created a mobile operating system so that Apple didn't eventually eat their lunch on mobile search. As a platform, though, it's not all that interesting to me, though it does look like they did a good job with the UX, what little I've seen of it.

DanteEXT

Reaction score

Since it's cable over the internet I disagree they are in competition with Netflix/Amazon. At least until one or both of those start offering live TV shows from the networks and cable channels. I think the competition right now Sling/DirecTV Now/PS Vue for the "cord cutters" who can quite cut the cord completely..

LittleBoyBlue

Redvolution
Reaction score

They are competing with big tv. Not really movie sites.

Live TV streaming from ABC, CBS, FOX, NBC, and popular cable networks

They are gonna "uber" the industry!

65fastback2plus2

Reaction score
That still requires you to find 6 people and to divvy up the bill each month.

It all depends whether or not they can get a real content advantage. Though to compete with Netflix in that regard right now because it's episodic content that drives subscription services and Netflix is investing heavily in generating exclusive content. Obviously, this is google, and they have the pockets to compete.

I see this and assume it's just their counter to Amazon so they're in position to keep pace down the road as the market evolves. The same way they created a mobile operating system so that Apple didn't eventually eat their lunch on mobile search. As a platform, though, it's not all that interesting to me, though it does look like they did a good job with the UX, what little I've seen of it.

Well, they're offering channels that I havent seen any other streaming service offer yet...so thats a start.