Zach Mettenberger waived

Jenky

Reaction score
Zach Mettenberger - QB - Free Agent
Chargers waived QB Zach Mettenberger.

NFL Network's Ian Rapoport reports the Chargers spoke with the Cowboys before making the move, so it is possible Dallas snatches Mettenberger off waivers. The Bengals and Giants could also be options after both put in claims when Mettenberger was waived in May. Despite a somewhat promising showing as a rookie, Mettenberger has not proven to be even a capable backup, losing his spot to undrafted rookie Mike Bercovici this preseason.
Related: Chargers

Source: Rand Getlin on Twitter
Aug 30 - 11:55 AM

Zimmy Lives

Reaction score

NFL Network's Ian Rapoport reports the Chargers spoke with the Cowboys before making the move, so it is possible Dallas snatches Mettenberger off waivers. The Bengals and Giants could also be options after both put in claims when Mettenberger was waived in May. Despite a somewhat promising showing as a rookie, Mettenberger has not proven to be even a capable backup, losing his spot to undrafted rookie Mike Bercovici this preseason.

Is he better than Showers? That is the all important question.

Cowboys22

Reaction score

If he can't beat out an undrafted rookie, why would we want him. We already have an undrafted qb that knows our system and has shown to be a decent player. No need to start over with someone who has been a miserable failure.

John813

Reaction score
The fact he can't stick with a team is odd and I doubt we would want him now

Mr Cowboy

Reaction score
according to Bill Polian, Mettenberger is not an NFL QB and will be out of the league in 2 years...........FWIW

TheCount

Pixel Pusher
Reaction score
NFL Network's Ian Rapoport reports the Chargers spoke with the Cowboys before making the move, so it is possible Dallas snatches Mettenberger off waivers.

What?

Because the Chargers called us to ask for a pick for a guy they were going to cut and we said no, that means we might make a waiver claim?

I'm having a tough time following the logic on that one.

reddyuta

Reaction score
Another LSU headcase, I swear they only recruit the dumbest people in the country.

jazzcat22

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
If he can't beat out an undrafted rookie, why would we want him. We already have an undrafted qb that knows our system and has shown to be a decent player. No need to start over with someone who has been a miserable failure.

Maybe he doesn't fit their system as well as they thought he would.

Reaction score
It's strange because he wasn't THAT bad with Tennessee. I thought he showed enough to be at least a decent backup QB.

Maybe he's just lost his confidence.

superonyx

Reaction score
It's strange because he wasn't THAT bad with Tennessee. I thought he showed enough to be at least a decent backup QB.

Maybe he's just lost his confidence.

Probably has something to do with this shining moment;

watt27n-1-web.jpg

erod

Reaction score
I like him as a quarterback physically, but apparently he's a constant malcontent. So no thanks.

RS12

Reaction score
Chargers like Bercovicci the guy they got out of ASU better.

xwalker

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Agree. Showers knows the system and none of these guys that have been cut from other teams seem like enough of a talent upgrade to make it worth dumping a guy (Showers) that knows the scheme.

Cowboys22

Reaction score
Maybe he doesn't fit their system as well as they thought he would.

Maybe but he is nothing like Dak and wouldn't fit the system and game plans designed for Dak or Romo. Surprising, we have a qb behind Dak that is very similar and can do many of the same things Dak can do and already knows the system. Doesn't that sound like a better fit for the Cowboys and isn't that what really matters?

big dog cowboy

THE BIG DOG
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Despite a somewhat promising showing as a rookie, Mettenberger has not proven to be even a capable backup, losing his spot to undrafted rookie Mike Bercovici this preseason.
Tells me all I need to know.

jazzcat22

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Maybe but he is nothing like Dak and wouldn't fit the system and game plans designed for Dak or Romo. Surprising, we have a qb behind Dak that is very similar and can do many of the same things Dak can do and already knows the system. Doesn't that sound like a better fit for the Cowboys and isn't that what really matters?

Can't disagree.
Was only giving an option to why he was waived. I am not high on Mettenberger, but sometimes QB's just need to find the right system.

Deep_Freeze

Reaction score
To quote a legend in his own mind.......if he is so good, why is he available?

rynochop

Reaction score
What?

Because the Chargers called us to ask for a pick for a guy they were going to cut and we said no, that means we might make a waiver claim?

I'm having a tough time following the logic on that one.
Maybe they think a couple other teams might actually want him so they're calling to see if we.ll give em some sort of conditional pic.