Recap: Zack Martin Interview 105.3 FM Fan

VaqueroTD

Reaction score
https://www.dallascowboys.com/video/zack-martin-on-105-3-the-fan-12-21-23
  • Doing as much as I can on quad to get soreness out. Keep it firing. Ready to play Sunday.
  • It was tough to watch on sidelines. A lot to learn and clean up. But definitely want that one back.
  • Obviously on road you have to be on top of communication with crowd noise. But our mechanics on this are as good as I've seen since I've been here. But everything must be sharper on the road. We're used to sometimes having fans at road games. This was one of those old school throwback games with the crazy Buffalo fans. Just needs to be heightened awareness on the communication and details.
  • Yes, you want us vs them mentality on the road. I really do enjoy playing on the road. You take that team flight, you're in the hotel together, out of your comfort zone, but you roll into that stadium and it's "this is all we got, this is all we need." For whatever reason we haven't been up to par on the road, but Coach does a good job evaluating the team and making adjustments.
  • Absolutely there are things we can pick up from the Buffalo game. At this point in the season, we can't be throwing away tape and letting things slide. We have to address issues now and move forward. Big road game next week and we may have to play on the road in the Playoffs. So big time games coming up that we must come together and play a complete game.
  • (Asked about penalty from protecting Dak) At my angle, I guess it looked like that if Dak hadn't gotten down, defender would have taken his head off. I think he flopped on me. But that's okay, part of an O-Lineman's job. It's an attitude thing, especially on the road. In an environment like that you have to put your foot down at some point and stand up for your guys. We'd like to be smarter and not get the penalty, but we will stand up for our guys.
  • When Coach McCarthy came in, something new we started doing was going through the ref crew every week and seeing who was calling and their history. I think it's helpful. You put a name to the face instead of "hey ref" and have a conversation with them.
  • Christian Wilkins, we played him his rookie year and can tell on film he has gotten better. His lateral quickness is what stands out. He does a great job at hiding his line movement and their whole D-Line does. As good a job as anyone I've seen this year. He's big strong guy and can push pocket. Him and Seiler there, they're both nose tackles and run their game as well as anyone I've seen.
  • Seiler is hard-nosed old school tough player. Will bring it every snap. He sets up those guys around him. He makes plays himself, but he really sets up those guys around him.
  • They've got guys all across the board on their line. We talk about this every week. Everyone has a good front. Phillips is a stud but unfortunately hurt. They brought in Chubb who is consistent on edge. We talked about the guys inside who can run the twist and push the pocket.
  • They're simulated pressure team too, they blitz a guy and drop another guy out so they can screw with your protection. That's a step we've taken this year. Big time. Just our blitz pickups and communication. Backs have done an awesome job and receivers are really locked into their hots. If we do have protection wrong, Dak and receivers are on top of it. So when you play a team like this everyone has to be on same page on passing game and making sure ball getting to right guy and that's a step we've taken in right direction.
  • (Asked about current recruiting) I committed early to Notre Dame. Summer before my senior year. Recruiting can be stressful. I visited a bunch of schools and liked a few and could see myself going to any of them. So it's tough having those conversations with the coaches and telling them you're not coming. I was a little undersized when I came in, so I redshirted. I couldn't see myself in tyransfer portal now. It's crazy now, it's like free agency now. I feel bad for the coaches. You say one bad thing to the player their first year, and you have to watch yourself. You're spending as much time now making sure the kids stay as recruiting them.
  • (Asked about Christmas) Martin family tradition to have prime rib on Christmas. I double down, I add au jus with the horse radish. I'm a meat and potatoes guy. You give me mashed potatoes with my prime rib and I'm okay. I will still be wrapping presents. When you walk down the stairs, you can definitely tell which presents were wrapped by me and which by the wife. My son likes Elf so I've seen it 12x. Home Alone is family favorite.
Several pointers in here about things that have improved or introduced to team since McCarthy took over. What a waste in those Garrett Years. Dude was not ready. Zack is a leader, smart player and speaks effortlessly. If he wants one, this man has a career ready as a coach, executive or media when playing days are over.

Last edited:

VaqueroTD

Reaction score
Me too. But realistically, if not this year, then the next Dallas has to draft his replacement. He was basically injury-free for years, but lately he's missed games, please Dallas don't wait until he's done to get a replacement...
Think most of draft picks next year will be on Offensive Line and Defensive Front 7. Tyron, Zack, Tank, Hankins all getting near end of the line, and LB is bare. We are fine with CB and WR. Assume Dak will be healthy. I would try to fix or tweak RB and S in free agency. Lots of guys available.