Zack Martin is good

jujoboys

Reaction score
Good thing the entire scouting department and Stephen overruled Jerry when Jerry was wanting to draft Johnny Football.

AsthmaField

Outta bounds
Reaction score
I so bad wanted Dallas to trade up for Aaron Donald… but it wasn’t to be. Some here will probably remember that.

I’ve never once regretted having Zack, though. He’s an incredible football player and is as rock solid as they come.

Great pick.

plasticman

Reaction score
I dunno.

I mean, they coulda done what Jerry wanted and drafted Johnny Manziel.

;)

TheMightyVanHalen

Reaction score
Worst thread of the year... for our best player. :flagwave:
IMO, he's not even our best lineman much less our best player. There's a reason why he doesn't like playing tackle. He's a big boy that can dominate other big boys. But no way could he handle speedy edge rushers. He's too slow. When healthy, Tyron Smith is our best lineman. He can handle speed rushers and also bull rushers as well.

It's the Gerry Cooney effect when it comes this argument.

I might even argue that Steele is more important to our success than Martin.

BleedSilverandBlue

Curator of Excellent Takes
Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan
Yup. I was going back and forth with a couple posters who were trying to convince me and the board he was no longer dominant and not worth the extension. They know who they are so no need to call them out. Posted one video where he got beat to try and prove a point LOL
There’s a good chance that video was literally one of the only times he had been beat in the entire season. Martin is an absolute menace.

erod

Reaction score
IMO, he's not even our best lineman much less our best player. There's a reason why he doesn't like playing tackle. He's a big boy that can dominate other big boys. But no way could he handle speedy edge rushers. He's too slow. When healthy, Tyron Smith is our best lineman. He can handle speed rushers and also bull rushers as well.

I might even argue that Steele is more important to our success than Martin. Edge
I disagree because, in today's game, interior pressure is far more difficult to manage than the edge. Without Martin, this line is a crap show.

John813

Reaction score
I so bad wanted Dallas to trade up for Aaron Donald… but it wasn’t to be. Some here will probably remember that.

I’ve never once regretted having Zack, though. He’s an incredible football player and is as rock solid as they come.

Great pick.

Remember that draft. IIRC Donald went from a player that seemed attainable prior to his combine/proday and then it became hopes and prayers.

If only Dallas went 6-10 instead of 8-8...

FuzzyLumpkins

The Boognish
Reaction score
I disagree because, in today's game, interior pressure is far more difficult to manage than the edge. Without Martin, this line is a crap show.
Lawrence was lining right up on Biadasz or on a shade. He is one of if not the most powerful DT in the game and was trying to punk him. He did get him once or twice but Biadasz is pretty good all things considered. It's not like he was getting ragdolled like you would see with lesser centers.

Doesn't look like Smith is practicing this week so it ill be Edoga again but I didn't see Edoga getting beat at all. Not exactly consistent drivefest but I couldn't find bad snaps for him last week.

Combine that with Dak not holding onto the ball and we will be fine.

Streifenkarl

Reaction score

I might even argue that Steele is more important to our success than Martin.
Well when you take the consistency into account, then he's second to none. How many games has he missed? How many penalties has he caused. How many pro bowls? (as much as his penalties? LoL)

Of course he's not the only important player on that line. And to be honest I'm very glad we have drafted so we'll. I'd still call him the best atm. I mean the "when healthy" part of your Tyron argument just kicked it out if the window.

But that's just my opinion, I absolutely respect yours.

erod

Reaction score
Lawrence was lining right up on Biadasz or on a shade. He is one of if not the most powerful DT in the game and was trying to punk him. He did get him once or twice but Biadasz is pretty good all things considered. It's not like he was getting ragdolled like you would see with lesser centers.

Doesn't look like Smith is practicing this week so it ill be Edoga again but I didn't see Edoga getting beat at all. Not exactly consistent drivefest but I couldn't find bad snaps for him last week.

Combine that with Dak not holding onto the ball and we will be fine.
Against the Giants, yes.

Unfortunately, that's not who we'll be playing when it really starts to matter.

It's going to take more dynamics than that

FuzzyLumpkins

The Boognish
Reaction score
Against the Giants, yes.

Unfortunately, that's not who we'll be playing when it really starts to matter.

It's going to take more dynamics than that
Giants had better and moreso deeper DL talent. Their front 7 was tackling extremely well. The Jets advantage is in their corners not their front.

TheMightyVanHalen

Reaction score
I disagree. And that's okay because I don't argue over arm-chair GM/Coach opinions. It's when people use words like "Loser" and "Sucks" is when I take offense. Martin is a bad *** no doubt!

TheMightyVanHalen

Reaction score
Well when you take the consistency into account, then he's second to none. How many games has he missed? How many penalties has he caused. How many pro bowls? (as much as his penalties? LoL)

Of course he's not the only important player on that line. And to be honest I'm very glad we have drafted so we'll. I'd still call him the best atm. I mean the "when healthy" part of your Tyron argument just kicked it out if the window.

But that's just my opinion, I absolutely respect yours.
No doubt about all that, brother. Martin is a man amongst boys out there.

When talking Tyron you almost always have to talk about his health. I had to be honest there.

GO COWBOYS!

AsthmaField

Outta bounds
Reaction score
Remember that draft. IIRC Donald went from a player that seemed attainable prior to his combine/proday and then it became hopes and prayers.

If only Dallas went 6-10 instead of 8-8...
Yeah, at the beginning of that pre draft cycle, he was being talked about as a 2nd round pick because he was too small with short arms.

Then, he dominated everyone at the senior bowl and people started putting Donald in the late first round area. Then he absolutely killed the combine and he just kept moving up.

At first, I was hoping Dallas could get him in round 2… then with their first… then I was hoping they’d trade up with their first.

Alas, it wasn’t meant to be but I wanted Dallas to draft him more than anyone I’ve ever scouted before the draft.