CFZ Zeke/Pollard or prospect the RB starter in 2023?

Cowboyny

Reaction score
The majority of us are aware that the front office could not release Zeke this offseason due to his high dead money, but that isn't the case after this season. I believe his charge would be 11 million compared to 30 million if cut prior to this season. If he's a June 1st release, it would only be half that number. Coming off of an injury plagued season and an OL that really struggled, this is a huge season for his future not only with the Cowboys but could be showcasing himself for another team.

Tony Pollard will be playing on his final year of his contract. We all would agree, Kellen Moore has under utilized him within the starting offense. He probably wants to go somewhere else to be the main runner for his team. Since his numbers are low due to lack of touches, as well as the low demand at the position in fa, could the Cowboys resign him to a reasonable contract extension? Would it be risky resigning another RB to an extension?

In the early going, I have heard that the RB Class in next year's draft is very good. Perhaps a day 2 pick at a low, controlled amount would be the best choice to fill the need.

fivetwos

Reaction score
The majority of us are aware that the front office could not release Zeke this offseason due to his high dead money, but that isn't the case after this season. I believe his charge would be 11 million compared to 30 million if cut prior to this season. If he's a June 1st release, it would only be half that number. Coming off of an injury plagued season and an OL that really struggled, this is a huge season for his future not only with the Cowboys but could be showcasing himself for another team.

Tony Pollard will be playing on his final year of his contract. We all would agree, Kellen Moore has under utilized him within the starting offense. He probably wants to go somewhere else to be the main runner for his team. Since his numbers are low due to lack of touches, as well as the low demand at the position in fa, could the Cowboys resign him to a reasonable contract extension? Would it be risky resigning another RB to an extension?

In the early going, I have heard that the RB Class in next year's draft is very good. Perhaps a day 2 pick at a low, controlled amount would be the best choice to fill the need.
Fully agree on the best way to replace Elliott, but if I know Jerry, it may very well be a day one pick lol.

It's gonna hurt to put all those 21 jerseys on the discount rack.

Take a look at Kipers list in the draft zone. The #1 and #3 ranked RBs play locally. That's probably the big name jersuh sailin' answer to the question.

DonaldM

Reaction score
Gotta love these guys wanting to be sports writers. Keep up the good work.

CWR

Reaction score
Re-sign Pollard now and draft a RB. It's time to part ways with Zeke.

John813

Reaction score
Ryan Nall 2k rusher this season.

Hopefully draft another if Zeke shows signs that he isn't the impact player worth that cap hit.

fivetwos

Reaction score
It'll be Zeke.

Jerry loves him and it's Dak's BFF.
Yeah, can't discount those factors.

The guy is shot though, and thats not a knock on him, that position is thankless at times.

Even if he has a career year this year, banking on him doing it into the future is plain stupid. He hasn't been any type of HR threat in quite some time now, so I doubt he accumulates those type numbers.

He got his money for what he gave the team. It's time to move on....for several reasons. If Jerry and Dak want to win games, they bring some fresh legs in here and don't be spending big cap dollars on a RB.

Jfconrow

Reaction score
I think they’re hoping one of the UDFAs will shine. I expect a lot of work in the preseason for the new rbs. You need zeke and pollard fresh the second half of the season. I almost want zeke as the short yardage back and pollard on 3rd downs. If zekes healthy he’ll be the starter. They almost couldn’t draft a rb this year Dak and zeke are buddies. I’m not cool with zeke limping around all season though. If he’s hurt you don’t pay him.

MountaineerCowboy

Reaction score
Yeah, can't discount those factors.

The guy is shot though, and thats not a knock on him, that position is thankless at times.

Even if he has a career year this year, banking on him doing it into the future is plain stupid. He hasn't been any type of HR threat in quite some time now, so I doubt he accumulates those type numbers.

He got his money for what he gave the team. It's time to move on....for several reasons. If Jerry and Dak want to win games, they bring some fresh legs in here and don't be spending big cap dollars on a RB.
He would've had back to back under 1,000 yard rushing seasons if we didn't use that last extra game of the year to break records and get guys season milestones against the Eagles practice squad.

We all know how Jerry operates. It's usually with his heart instead of his brain.

quickccc

Reaction score

- I say let’s see what happens .. see if Zeke responds,. How he will respond. .. what if he actually has a superlative year and surprisingly recaptures that patent 2016 frame and burst ?
Or what if the Cowboys and Zeke agree upon a pay cut… or even another restructure of his contract base off that superlative year ?

- i really don't expect him to lead the NFL in rushing anymore, as we are transitioned into pass first, run 2nd. And it's gonna be Dak-first and far most, ..than laid it on the back of ZKE.
Imagine it more like the design and workload such as what ex-Saints RB Mark Ingram Jr. was added to Payton/Brees area.

- Unless Pollard gets seriously hurt, i really am preparing to lose Pollard to FA, and the McClay draftnik will tinker with bringing in a similar player in the mid rounds.

- If I’m in the Pollard camp, I’d test the FA market and I can see some team making a considerable bid offer for him,… I wouldn’t even be surprised if it’s the Eagles.
Some team is gonna overvalue him as a full time starter – but depending upon the team, and how he is used and designed …. he could be a major attribute.

blueblood70

Reaction score
Dallas Cowboys career rushing leaders:

1. Emmitt Smith, 17162
2. Tony Dorsett, 12036
3. Ezekiel Elliott, 7386
4. Don Perkins, 6217
5. Calvin Hill, 5009
6. Robert Newhouse, 4784
7. DeMarco Murray, 4526
8. Marion Barber III, 4358
9. Walt Garrison, 3886
10. Herschel Walker, 3491

Dallas Cowboys career rushing touchdown leaders:

1. Emmitt Smith, 153
2. Tony Dorsett, 72
3. Ezekiel Elliott, 56
4. Marion Barber III, 47
5. Don Perkins, 42

Not bad for player that fans seem to want out and hate on since 2019 deal was struck. 1960 to present, many of those decades were run heavy eras.

JBS

Reaction score
Cowboys will not sign Pollard to another contract. You can almost bet everything you own on that.

whether Zelle is here next year or not is a different story but they will draft a rb next April.

fivetwos

Reaction score
How many RB in recent history were top of the line one year, then basically out of the league soon after?

Guys like Shawn Alexander, Larry Johnson, Chris Johnson just off the top of my head. There's plenty of other examples.

Elliott isn't making some miraculous comeback to his 2016 form.

Cowboyny

Reaction score
Fully agree on the best way to replace Elliott, but if I know Jerry, it may very well be a day one pick lol.

It's gonna hurt to put all those 21 jerseys on the discount rack.

Take a look at Kipers list in the draft zone. The #1 and #3 ranked RBs play locally. That's probably the big name jersuh sailin' answer to the question.
Yeah, I saw a few 1st rd running backs being projected next yr.

MountaineerCowboy

Reaction score
Dallas Cowboys career rushing leaders:

1. Emmitt Smith, 17162
2. Tony Dorsett, 12036
3. Ezekiel Elliott, 7386
4. Don Perkins, 6217
5. Calvin Hill, 5009
6. Robert Newhouse, 4784
7. DeMarco Murray, 4526
8. Marion Barber III, 4358
9. Walt Garrison, 3886
10. Herschel Walker, 3491

Dallas Cowboys career rushing touchdown leaders:

1. Emmitt Smith, 153
2. Tony Dorsett, 72
3. Ezekiel Elliott, 56
4. Marion Barber III, 47
5. Don Perkins, 42

Not bad for player that fans seem to want out and hate on since 2019 deal was struck. 1960 to present, many of those decades were run heavy eras.
He's clearly washed and anybody that watches it can see it.

He was good when he was good, but those days are gone.

Those first 4 years were great, but the last two have been a drag to watch.

Cowboyny

Reaction score
My guess is Zeke is back at a reduced cap number, but extended a couple of years. Pollard walks in FA, and the Cowboys use a round 3 or 4 pick on a new Pollard.
That is very possible, goes the DLaw route and takes a paycut to stay.