Zimmer fooled Manning on last Colt drive.

CooterBrown

Reaction score
On the NFL Network, Mariuchi diagrammed the defense the Cowboys played on the 3rd and 2 and then the 4th and 2 plays on the Colts last drive.

On the 3rd and 2 play, Ware perfectly covered the slot guy who ran a slant out toward the pylon. Henry played the outside guy and had him covered like a blanket.

On 4th and 2 the Colts lined up the same formation. The Defense showed the same look. The Colts sent the outside guy on a short crossing route, and the slot guy slanted out and then back in towards the post. But this time, the Cowboys played zone instead of man to man. Ware stayed at home, bumped both receivers in succession and Henry picked up the guy going toward the post. If the boys had played man to man again, Ware would have been "picked" by the guy coming across and his guy, the slot guy, would have been wide open. Zimmer showed man to man and played zone, incomplete pass, Cowboys win.

I'm not sold on Zimmer's coaching some times, but you have to give him his due on this one. Zimmer fooled Manning, Who'd a thunk it?

superpunk

Reaction score
It was great design, and Ware annihilated both guys on the 4th and 2. That's how you play those guys. The coaching staff and Ware (who have both taken alot of ridiculous heat on here) came up huge.

FLCowboyFan

Hoping to be half the man Tom Landry was.
Reaction score
Just like Bellyache in NE, you have to hide what the D will be doing at the line or Peyton will change the play. I give Zimmer credit for adding that into our D this week. I'd like to see us do that week after week

LittleBoyBlue

Redvolution
Reaction score
superpunk;1175330 said:
It was great design, and Ware annihilated both guys on the 4th and 2. That's how you play those guys. The coaching staff and Ware (who have both taken alot of ridiculous heat on here) came up huge.

Exactly!

I bet Belichek's advice was just "manhandle" them... they dont like it

MapleLeaf

Maple Leaf
Reaction score
CooterBrown;1175325 said:
On the NFL Network, Mariuchi diagrammed the defense the Cowboys played on the 3rd and 2 and then the 4th and 2 plays on the Colts last drive.

On the 3rd and 2 play, Ware perfectly covered the slot guy who ran a slant out toward the pylon. Henry played the outside guy and had him covered like a blanket.

On 4th and 2 the Colts lined up the same formation. The Defense showed the same look. The Colts sent the outside guy on a short crossing route, and the slot guy slanted out and then back in towards the post. But this time, the Cowboys played zone instead of man to man. Ware stayed at home, bumped both receivers in succession and Henry picked up the guy going toward the post. If the boys had played man to man again, Ware would have been "picked" by the guy coming across and his guy, the slot guy, would have been wide open. Zimmer showed man to man and played zone, incomplete pass, Cowboys win.

I'm not sold on Zimmer's coaching some times, but you have to give him his due on this one. Zimmer fooled Manning, Who'd a thunk it?

...defensive play design on "bunch" routes.

When WRs are bunched together and initiate crossing patterns to shed defenders the standard approach is to stay in your zone and let them criss cross like bugs and engage them after they make their moves.

We should know this since the Landry Cowboys use to see this often from the Gibbs "Fun Bunch" and "Smurf" receivers.

You need good communication from the defenders lined up across from the players to call out "zone" defence.

BrAinPaiNt

Mike Smith aka Backwoods Sexy
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
CooterBrown;1175325 said:

I can not remember which article it was in, so many this morning, but I believe this is the play where Henry came up to ware and told him to watch for this play.

percyhoward

Research Tool
Reaction score
BrAinPaiNt;1175499 said:
I can not remember which article it was in, so many this morning, but I believe this is the play where Henry came up to ware and told him to watch for this play.

Great stuff.

chinch

No Quarter
Reaction score
that was a great highlight on NFL network.... ware blew up 2 guys on the final play. great play calling AND execution. :)