Zimmer's Butt is on the line

dfense

Reaction score
With the talent and parts the Cowboys have assembled to this point, if they don't perform well, I can see Zimmer taking the fall. I don't believe the guy has the feel for coaching the 3-4. Of his blitz packages, I never really saw one that was surprising or original. To me, he's a week link on this team.

theogt

Surrealist
Reaction score
You know it isn't Zimmer that's holding the blitzing back dont you?

CIWhitefish

Reaction score
If you have listened to the PCs all preseason you would have heard BP saying Zimmer has a great grasp of the 3/4 concept now. He is not the weak link any week. Oh, and every coache's butt is on the line every season. That's the NFL.

Doomsday101

Reaction score
dfense said:
With the talent and parts the Cowboys have assembled to this point, if they don't perform well, I can see Zimmer taking the fall. I don't believe the guy has the feel for coaching the 3-4. Of his blitz packages, I never really saw one that was surprising or original. To me, he's a week link on this team.

I would agree if the defense fails then Zimmer will take the heat by the same token should Dallas defense be one of the top 5 in the league he deserves the credit.

Idgit

Fattening up
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
dfense said:

You can't have been watching the games too closely, then. The defense is going to perform well. It's the signature of this team.

We're lucky to have Zimmer.

dfense

Reaction score
Well, Parcell's praised Pettiti and Copper to. What does that tell you?

jman

Reaction score
That despite making marked improvements, that he will still keep the best players on the team.

That's what releasing Pettiti and Copper tells me.

So stand down the failed defense warning before the first game of the season.

superpunk

Reaction score
It must have been some other defense I saw dominating in the preseason, allowing a grand total of 1 TD against the first team D, in 4 games. 6.8 ppg....2.5 points per game given up by the first team....taking opposing Offenses off the field so our offense could finish first overall in TOP at 38 minutes per game.

Maybe we're not watching the same things. Zimmer is a great DC. Most teams should be so lucky. It's not his fault if he sends the house and they all run into eachother.

Crown Royal

Insulin Beware
Reaction score
I can't understand fans' obsession with the downfall of Zimmer. He is in NO sling, outside of complete failure. Parcells has endorsed Zimmer time and time again, regardless of fans blaming him for failure. Zimmer is closer to being the next head coach than fired.

Zimmy Lives

Reaction score
Okay, here we go...

Zimmy sucks! Zimmy can't coach the 3-4! Zimmy does not know how to use his talent! Zimmy doesn't know blitz packages....

Doomsday101

Reaction score
Zimmy Lives said:
Okay, here we go...

Zimmy sucks! Zimmy can't coach the 3-4! Zimmy does not know how to use his talent! Zimmy doesn't know blitz packages....

You forgot, Zimmy has some photos of Bill and that is the only reason he is here. :laugh2: Seem BP always has some good things to say about Zimmer that just goes right over the heads of Zimmer critics.

Kilyin

Reaction score
Wolverine, is that you? Whatever happened to that guy anyway.. ?

Zimmy Lives

Reaction score
Doomsday101 said:
You forgot, Zimmy has some photos of Bill and that is the only reason he is here. :laugh2: Seem BP always has some good things to say about Zimmer that just goes right over the heads of Zimmer critics.

Right! :laugh2:

Whatever happened to BadAttitude anyway?

austintodallas

Consider Yourself Sucked
Reaction score
Crown Royal said:
I can't understand fans' obsession with the downfall of Zimmer. He is in NO sling, outside of complete failure. Parcells has endorsed Zimmer time and time again, regardless of fans blaming him for failure. Zimmer is closer to being the next head coach than fired.
Not only that, but Parcells has mentioned a couple times now in recent PCs that he keeps having to reel Zimmer in a bit because he's starting to understand some of the more complex nuances that he could throw at opposing offenses with the 3-4.

iceberg

rock music matters
Reaction score
dfense said:
Well, Parcell's praised Pettiti and Copper to. What does that tell you?

mostly is says you're a deluxe idiot if you take parcells at his literal word.

theebs

Believe!!!!
Reaction score
dfense said:

I am curious did you ever watch parcells giants or pats teams?

They never blitzed, the whole two gap read and react defense relies on superior athletes with size who are smart. Most of it is cover 2 or 2 man under with safety help for like 75 percent of the team.

We will play the 3-4 two gap read and react defense the same way here, so zimmer does not call blitzes because it is not in the plan with this scheme.

Now having said that, we will come after people in odd sets like the nickel but dont expect us to blitz too much. I have seen alot of what looks like cover 1 or robber though with roy coming up to the line of scrimmage and watkins and the corners being left alone.

Clove

Shrinkage
Reaction score
I am ready to see our blitz package, especially with Watkins involved. His speed coming on a blitz and jumping ability to swat the ball down, is something I'd like to see.

Also, when the bring in Carpenter in the Nickel, Carp has a knack for slicing thru the line on blitzes...CAn't wait!!