Zone Blocking and Offensive Line Culture

Galian Beast

Reaction score
We all realize that this offensive line has been highly invested in. I think we've created something that is only going to get better and better as time goes on. It'll be interested to see whether they decide to replace Free or keep him around for another couple years.

One thing that has become obvious is that we are taking the same zone blocking approach to running backs as Shanahan. Rather than pay Murray big money, this team will simply look for a running back who can excel in a zone scheme and make his proper reads.

This zone blocking scheme has taken over the format of the two tight end offense we planned on running. It's very different from what Linehan did in Detroit, and it's really different from what we've been doing recently over the last few years. I think we had better trade Escobar by the trade deadline, because I don't think he's ever going to be a fit in this scheme. I can't complain about Cole Beasley getting more snaps, but I am disappointed since I had really high hopes for Escobar here.

What's also interesting is that I don't think our players are prototypical zone blocking players. They are a nice mix. I'd like to see them continue to improve in pass protection as a result. We might not beat Seattle, but I think the sky's the limit with this offensive line. This reminds me a lot of the 97 Broncos. The only problem is I still don't think we have the defense to take us the entire way.

Galian Beast

Reaction score
Escobar's in-line blocking is the only reason he's not getting more snaps in this offense right now. And that's because Hanna does a better job of it. But there's almost 0 chance we trade Escobar here before the trade deadline.

http://www.bloggingtheboys.com/2014...oach-mike-pope-has-a-positive-impact-on-gavin

As the line continues to gel and gain experience, I can't help but think we're going to focus more on the running game down the stretch. It's really not what I was expecting from Linehan, and more what I would have expected from Callahan last year.

By not trading Escobar, we're walking into another Bennett situation where we just lose out on the player. We have Escobar for two more years after this. You either make him a staple of the offense or he's going else where.

kramskoi

Reaction score
We all realize that this offensive line has been highly invested in. I think we've created something that is only going to get better and better as time goes on. It'll be interested to see whether they decide to replace Free or keep him around for another couple years.

One thing that has become obvious is that we are taking the same zone blocking approach to running backs as Shanahan. Rather than pay Murray big money, this team will simply look for a running back who can excel in a zone scheme and make his proper reads.

This zone blocking scheme has taken over the format of the two tight end offense we planned on running. It's very different from what Linehan did in Detroit, and it's really different from what we've been doing recently over the last few years. I think we had better trade Escobar by the trade deadline, because I don't think he's ever going to be a fit in this scheme. I can't complain about Cole Beasley getting more snaps, but I am disappointed since I had really high hopes for Escobar here.

What's also interesting is that I don't think our players are prototypical zone blocking players. They are a nice mix. I'd like to see them continue to improve in pass protection as a result. We might not beat Seattle, but I think the sky's the limit with this offensive line. This reminds me a lot of the 97 Broncos. The only problem is I still don't think we have the defense to take us the entire way.

Yeah...it is said of the system, that if you stay disciplined in what is required (especially the RB), it will take care of you. Always the problem with changing schemes is players you have committed to that don't totally fit the new plan...sort of what has happened with Claiborne.

Idgit

Fattening up
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
As the line continues to gel and gain experience, I can't help but think we're going to focus more on the running game down the stretch. It's really not what I was expecting from Linehan, and more what I would have expected from Callahan last year.

By not trading Escobar, we're walking into another Bennett situation where we just lose out on the player. We have Escobar for two more years after this. You either make him a staple of the offense or he's going else where.

I think we're going to need 3 TEs at some point this season. And there are going to be situations where he's getting snaps and making plays. His in line blocking needs to improve, as Hanna's doing a good job of that now, but I just don't believe the organization isn't really high on him. Everything I've ever heard from every front--players, coaches, media--indicates that the team likes him. And when he does get on the field, he's demonstrated that he's capable of making plays. His value to the team over the next three years is more than anything we'd recoup in a trade, so hang onto him and see what you've got in the player. Sooner or later, we'll be glad we did.