Zone Blocking Running Backs

Galian Beast

Reaction score
I think finding running backs who fit and excel in Zone Blocking Schemes should be our priority going forward.

One of the knocks on McFadden is that he really struggled when Oakland incorporated a ZBS. He also struggled here when we used zone blocking, but excelled when we used man blocking.

This is part of the reason I don't want Derrick Henry in the 2nd round even if he is available. I don't think we get the best value from him there.

I think getting Lamar Miller would give us a top 5 running back in the league with our system. The same with Ezekiel Elliott.

Ideally, I'd like to see us trade down in the draft if we can't get Bosa, and pick up Elliot, if we somehow can't get Miller in free agency, though I don't think that should be an issue.

I like McFadden but he's a square trying to fit into a circle peg. There are many other reasons we shouldn't rely on him for a year, outside of just consistency.

This offensive line might be extremely good at run blocking next year and the year after that (assuming we do something about Doug Free sooner than later). A young running back falling into this line, could set them up to be one of the all time greats, but they need to fit what we're trying to do here.

I would also say we definitely need more speed here. I hope we can bring back Dunbar next year, but McFadden no longer has that 3rd or 4th gear.

Alohawg1

Reaction score
It's weird, there were times when my McFadden seemed like he was stuck in 3rd gear and other times when he looked really fast. Unfortunately I'm afraid you're right though as evidenced by a couple runs he would have scored on 5 years ago, but was run down from behind. One too many hamstring injuries probably.

Tobal

Reaction score
I'm all for getting a back, but it's more for protection. I trust Romo to play 16 games more than McFadden and I have no doubt we can find a better back than McFadden.

RW31

Reaction score
Powell from the Jets. Very underrated guy IMO.

Alohawg1

Reaction score
At the risk of sounding like a Razorback homer......I went back and looked at several rb's highlights and came to the conclusion, again, that no rb in this draft fits Dallas offense better than Collins. His only weakness is sheer top end speed, his being average....which is what Emmitt's was. In every other category, he is as good or the best in my observation. The vision, initial burst, cutting etc....., and his footwork is elite. Literally the dude is custom made for a ZBS.

YosemiteSam

Unfriendly and Aloof!
Reaction score
Galian! You have found the hidden secret passage of good football!

https://lh3.***BROKEN***/-6F5i8oLXmHk/VrUv9D70uBI/AAAAAAAEt-Q/VPb5J0NVPXo/w456-h804/fantasy-door-gif-2800770.gif

JW82

JJ21
Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
I think finding running backs who fit and excel in Zone Blocking Schemes should be our priority going forward.

One of the knocks on McFadden is that he really struggled when Oakland incorporated a ZBS. He also struggled here when we used zone blocking, but excelled when we used man blocking.

This is part of the reason I don't want Derrick Henry in the 2nd round even if he is available. I don't think we get the best value from him there.

I think getting Lamar Miller would give us a top 5 running back in the league with our system. The same with Ezekiel Elliott.

Ideally, I'd like to see us trade down in the draft if we can't get Bosa, and pick up Elliot, if we somehow can't get Miller in free agency, though I don't think that should be an issue.

I like McFadden but he's a square trying to fit into a circle peg. There are many other reasons we shouldn't rely on him for a year, outside of just consistency.

This offensive line might be extremely good at run blocking next year and the year after that (assuming we do something about Doug Free sooner than later). A young running back falling into this line, could set them up to be one of the all time greats, but they need to fit what we're trying to do here.

I would also say we definitely need more speed here. I hope we can bring back Dunbar next year, but McFadden no longer has that 3rd or 4th gear.

I'd like a good young RB too but really because I don't think you can expect DMC to stay healthy for two straight years. If you look at the year he had it is pretty impressive to be a top 5 rusher in the league WHEN, he didn't start for the first few games and more importantly, unlike Murray in 2014 he had ZERO passing threat behind him to take some pressure off the run game and force guys out of the box.

Hardline

Reaction score
At the risk of sounding like a Razorback homer......I went back and looked at several rb's highlights and came to the conclusion, again, that no rb in this draft fits Dallas offense better than Collins. His only weakness is sheer top end speed, his being average....which is what Emmitt's was. In every other category, he is as good or the best in my observation. The vision, initial burst, cutting etc....., and his footwork is elite. Literally the dude is custom made for a ZBS.
I agree.
Collins is still my third choice behind Elliott and Henry.

darthseinfeld

Groupthink Guru
Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan

Not a homer opinion. Collins is the best ZB back in the draft