Zone blocking?

jblaze2004

Reaction score
How long will it take to convert our offensive line to learn how to zone block.
Like the texans and Commanders run....what type of blocking scheme do the patriots use?

jobberone

Kane Ala
Reaction score
The left side of the line can do it. Maybe Gurode. But not the right side. You'd have to have athletic and mobile OL at RG and RT. And you'd need a new OL coach.

DLT

Reaction score
jobberone;3746266 said:
The left side of the line can do it. Maybe Gurode. But not the right side. You'd have to have athletic and mobile OL at RG and RT. And you'd need a new OL coach.

I agree with your statement. Especially "...you'd need a new OL coach." Hudson Houck has done a terrible job coaching/teaching the OL. He is the first to go after this season IMO.

cowboyschmps3

Reaction score
i'd love the zone blocking scheme with our Runningbacks, the texans show you that any rb who enters that system can excell as the broncos from the past, the titans kind of use that with Johnson just one cut and let the Rb choose the whole

Illini88228

Reaction score
jblaze2004;3746233 said:
How long will it take to convert our offensive line to learn how to zone block.
Like the texans and Commanders run....what type of blocking scheme do the patriots use?

More than one scheme over another, what this offensive line needs is an overriding philosophy and style. It seems like for years now, the left side of the line has been one style and the right has been another. Used to, the left side was a mauler with Flo and LA, and the right side was smaller (marco rivera, ryan young, etc.) Now its the opposite, the left side is athletic but a little lighter with Free and Kosier and the right side is a mauling style line. When you look at the teams that are successful, they have a lot of consistency in the style of lineman they look for.

UnoDallas

Benched
Reaction score
no

The linemen of some teams that use zone blocking schemes have been criticized for their penchant for cut blocking the knees of defenders, sometimes away from the play. Cut blocks are illegal in the open field and when a defensive player is engaged by another offensive player.

jblaze2004

Reaction score
cowboyschmps3;3746312 said:
i'd love the zone blocking scheme with our Runningbacks, the texans show you that any rb who enters that system can excell as the broncos from the past, the titans kind of use that with Johnson just one cut and let the Rb choose the whole

exactly choice and felix would look great in this kind of blocking.

CATCH17

1st Round Pick
Reaction score
Just get rid of Colombo and Davis and you can do it.

Doesn't fit JG's style though.

jblaze2004

Reaction score
CATCH17;3746406 said:
Just get rid of Colombo and Davis and you can do it.

Doesn't fit JG's style though.

how about the guy in your sig:laugh1:

CATCH17

1st Round Pick
Reaction score
jblaze2004;3746385 said:
exactly choice and felix would look great in this kind of blocking.

Yeah he would do great in a 1 cut offense like that.

Right now he still doesn't know when to hit the hole and when to get it outside.

If he would cut it back inside once in a blue moon he'd help his cause.

MarionBarberThe4th

Reaction score
CATCH17;3746409 said:
Yeah he would do great in a 1 cut offense like that.

Right now he still doesn't know when to hit the hole and when to get it outside.

If he would cut it back inside once in a blue moon he'd help his cause.

Your sig and my username are about to be irrelevant

CATCH17

1st Round Pick
Reaction score
MarionBarberThe4th;3746413 said:
Your sig and my username are about to be irrelevant

Wait... You guys think I don't like Felix or are you just joking with me? lol

ABQCOWBOY

Regular Joe....
Reaction score
Well, you figure Kosier is much closer to the end then the beginning, you would really need 4 new lineman. Gurode doesn't fit that scheme either. Only Free would fit IMO. Would be almost impossible for us to do it in less then 2 years. Would also be expensive IMO.