ZONERS: NFL Question

CrazyCowboy

Reaction score
Zoners:

I really respect your opinions and most of you are really SMART!

Who is the bad guy between Time Warner Cable and NFL Network?

I am sick and tired of hearing folks Bad Mouth Mr. Jones as greedy?

Who the the real villian? :bang2:

I believe it is Time Warner being greedy.......am I wrong?

Thanks

BrAinPaiNt

Mike Smith aka Backwoods Sexy
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I think the truth is somewhere in the middle.

I believe both probably share some blame while both seem to blame the other.

The losers in all of it is the NFL Fan.

adamknite

Reaction score
I have dish network, I don't really worry about it at the moment. My Dad doesn't have Dish, but he's just going to come over to my place to watch the game.

However, I would venture to say both are to blame, with Time Warner being a little more in the wrong, if that makes sense. Just my view point.

03EBZ06

Need2Speed
Reaction score
Both entities are to blame. It's all about the money and greed, unfortunately, the consumers are caught in the middle of it.

Tex

Reaction score
Its very simple really. The NFL has been selling their games to other networks to broadcast. They want to transition to having their own network to broadcast games on. To do that properly they need as many homes as possible to have access to their new network. So they want it included in the base cable package. Not included in a higher "tier" of sports packages. It is in the NFL's best interest to get their new channel in that basic cable package.

Cable companies have to pay for that NFL channel. And don't think everyone should have to pay for it. So they want it on a second "tier" of sports channels. At extra cost of course.

Now you can make either side the bad guy here......

But the bottom line is clear. The NFL intends to start broadcasting a lot (if not all) of NFL games in the coming years. And we will pay for it one way or the other........

Tex

CATCH17

1st Round Pick
Reaction score
BrAinPaiNt;1796486 said:
I think the truth is somewhere in the middle.

I believe both probably share some blame while both seem to blame the other.

The losers in all of it is the NFL Fan.

Yeah im with you.

Cable makes me angry because they wont charge the extra 70 cents or what ever to its customers a month.

NFLN pisses me off because they are showing no loyalty to the people who have pushed their products for years.

I feel really bad for Fox because the Cowboys are a bigtime ratings booster for them and they get screwed out of not getting a ton of our games since we are a primetime team.

I wish Dish didn't suck. I prefer cable and im sure soon we will all be watching NFLN on cable.

kmd24

Reaction score
I don't really think there is a good or a bad guy in the situation. It's just two business entities negotiating.

However, I strongly believe that the NFL is negotiating from a position of strength while the Cable companies are in a position of weakness. As such, the writing is on the wall, and the cable companies should give in to the demands of the NFL.

JohnnyHopkins

This is a house of learned doctors
Reaction score
From my understanding, the NFL Network is being offered to the Cable companies at a price that is too high for their tastes. The Cable Companies don't see the Network as a good enough incentive to bring in new subscribers, so in their minds, they have three choices; raise their basic cable prices to cover the extra costs, put the network on the premium package and make users pay the difference or don't carry the channel until the NFL reduced the asking price. Notice that option four, eating the additional costs is not in the equation.

From the NFL's side, Jerry and a few others made a proposal a few years ago that they could make a certain lucrative amount if they carried an additional package of games on the NFL Network instead of offering that package to an existing provider, plus it would force the cable companies to cave in and add the NFL Network to their regular package, therefore bringing in more cash for the NFL. This has not yet worked and they do not want to lower the price of what they are offering, as it would reduce their Projected Revenues from that proposal and make them wrong. They are refusing to allow the cable companies to offer the package on the premium tier, as it would make the NFL look like the bad guys and, it would equate to less revenue than would be generated by getting it on the basic package.

So, yes, it is all about money and yes, both the Cable companies and the NFL are the bad guys as it pertains to the fans. One way or another, the cable subscriber will get stuck with the fees, be it through higher rates on the basic package or having to buy the premium sports package, so they are the real losers.

Go to a Dish, I have had no complaints since I made the switch.

DC_Addict

Reaction score
Tex;1796518 said:
Its very simple really. The NFL has been selling their games to other networks to broadcast. They want to transition to having their own network to broadcast games on. To do that properly they need as many homes as possible to have access to their new network. So they want it included in the base cable package. Not included in a higher "tier" of sports packages. It is in the NFL's best interest to get their new channel in that basic cable package.

Cable companies have to pay for that NFL channel. And don't think everyone should have to pay for it. So they want it on a second "tier" of sports channels. At extra cost of course.

Now you can make either side the bad guy here......

But the bottom line is clear. The NFL intends to start broadcasting a lot (if not all) of NFL games in the coming years. And we will pay for it one way or the other........

Tex

Ok, Time Warner doesn't want to make customers 'pay' extra for NFL on basic cable BUT it's ok to charge customers if it's on a sports "Tier"??

What's the difference?