Associated Press

Aug. 6, 2009, 4:17PM

/**/
b
// no ads

http://www.chron.com/photos/1984/01/01/17795424/260xStory.jpg
260xStory.jpg

Associated Press

The credits for John Hughes, shown in 1984, also include National Lampoon's Vacation, Mr. Mom and Weird Science.

NEW YORK — A spokeswoman for John Hughes said the director of 1980s coming-of-age films like Sixteen Candles and The Breakfast Club has died in Manhattan.

Michelle Bega said Hughes, 59, died of a heart attack during a morning walk. He was in Manhattan to visit family.

He made a teen star of Molly Ringwald with 1984's Sixteen Candles, about a girl's nightmarish birthday on the eve of her sister's wedding.

Ringwald also starred in The Breakfast Club, about a group of high school misfits during Saturday detention, and Pretty in Pink.

Hughes also directed Ferris Bueller's Day Off and wrote Home Alone.. He lived in Illinois and set many of his films in the Chicago area.

http://www.chron.com/disp/story.mpl/ent/movies/6563327.html

vta

The Proletariat
Reaction score
Aww, that stinks.
Uncle Buck, Plains, Trains and all of that good stuff.

A little young to go; RIP young man.

Duane

Reaction score
If you grew up in the 80s his movies helped shaped your life. RIP John.

Maikeru-sama

Mick Green 58
Reaction score
RIP

John Bender will always be one of my favorite characters.

[youtube]2pybSRca-cA[/youtube]

kmp77

Reaction score
He was an 80s god!! He was responsible for a ton of hits. Starting to get old...people who had an influence on me are starting to pass now. That's when age catches up to you.

CowboyWay

If Coach would have put me in, we'd a won State
Reaction score
National Lampoons Vacation was based on a short story he wrote. Pure Greatness.

Benny Blue Boy

Reaction score
His movies, always great. National Lampoon, Ferris Bueller, Breakfast Club. Even those Home Alone movies were good for what it was. One of the absolute best movies to me ever is Planes,Trains, & Automobiles