‘NYPD Blue’ legend Dennis Franz loves life off the Hollywood grid

WoodysGirl

U.N.I.T.Y
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
By Michael Starr

September 18, 2015 | 3:56am

Dennis Franz was a prime-time powerhouse on “NYPD Blue,” snaring four Emmys (and another four nominations) for his role as hot-tempered Detective Andy Sipowicz — partnered mostly with Bobby Simone (Jimmy Smits) — on the long-running ABC cop drama. When the series ended its 12-year run in 2005, Franz, only 61 at the time, vanished off the Hollywood grid — and hasn’t acted since.

The Post reached out to Franz, and he agreed to a rare interview in which he talks about what he’s doing these days.

The answer? Anything he wants — including watching lots of TV.

What are you up to these days?
As I’m talking to you, I’m getting my fishing gear together … and that’s a good part of what I do now. We have a home up in north Idaho, on a lake, and we’re there all summer long. We do a lot of swimming and fishing and enjoying the lake. We leave [Friday] to go back home to California and then we’re coming out to New York City for a month to catch up on a lot of theater. Last year we went to India and Argentina and Cuba and we go to Europe a lot. So we travel and spend time with our family. I have three grandkids who live a block from us and I’m with them every day. They come with us [to Idaho] for just about the entire summer and bring all their friends. Life is good.

Why did you retire?
What happened was, at the end of that [“NYPD Blue”] run, I needed a break.

Read the rest: http://nypost.com/2015/09/18/nypd-blue-legend-dennis-franz-loves-life-off-the-hollywood-grid/