‘The Largest Television Series Ever Made’: Amazon’s ‘Lord Of The Rings’ Season One To Cost $465 Mill

Hardline

Reaction score
Amazon Studios plans to make its “Lord of the Rings” television series one of the most expensive ever-produced, costing a grand total of $465 million … and that’s just for the first season alone.

According to The Hollywood Reporter (THR), the show will cost more than the entirety of the original trilogy, far above initial estimates. To illustrate just how gargantuan of a number that is, one season of “Game of Thrones” cost $100 million to produce.

“Amazon will spend roughly NZ$650 million — $465 million in U.S. dollars — for just the first season of the show,” reported THR. “That’s far above previous reported estimates that pegged the fantasy drama as costing an already record-breaking $500 million for multiple seasons of the show.”

https://www.dailywire.com/news/the-...WwwKuWRiOqCNsKzsCELgownf7wkc_zbEBZ1Un6azK5zFc

CouchCoach

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
They're still optimistic they'll have Peter Jackson involved.

That is an interesting gathering of writers, one from Breaking Bad, one from The Sopranos and one from Game of Thrones as well as the other writers all trying to match Tolkien's style of character development to honor his creativity and imagination.

If you haven't seen the HBO biopic "Tolkien", I recommend it. It is most interesting to see the development of the Balrog.

Last edited:

NorthoftheRedRiver

Reaction score
Holy Cow. What are they going to spend all that money on? They've got to be celebrating down in New Zealand.

CouchCoach

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Holy Cow. What are they going to spend all that money on? They've got to be celebrating down in New Zealand.
250M for the rights to begin with and the country of NZ is helping with the bank rolling and getting some criticism for it as well.

Hardline

Reaction score
They're still optimistic they'll have Peter Jackson involved.

That is an interesting gathering of writers, one from Breaking Bad, one from The Sopranos and one from Game of Thrones as well as the other writers all trying to match Tolkien's style of character development to honor his creativity and imagination.

If you haven't seen the HBO biopic "Toklien", I recommend it. It is most interesting to see the development of the Balrog.
I hope they don't allow Peter Jackson anywhere near this.
He butchered The Hobbit and LOTR to the point it was nothing like the books.

DandyDon52

Reaction score
CGI ??
I think it is stupid to spend that much on a series that isnt going to appeal to non fans.
when they spend too much it is almost impossible to turn a profit.

Turk

Reaction score
The vast majority of Tolkien fans think the film trilogy was done very well. Just because you throw a lot of money at something does not mean it will be any good.

Hardline

Reaction score
The vast majority of Tolkien fans think the film trilogy was done very well. Just because you throw a lot of money at something does not mean it will be any good.
Those weren't hardcore Tolkien fans. They cut out major scenes and rewrote many characters roles.

Turk

Reaction score
Those weren't hardcore Tolkien fans. They cut out major scenes and rewrote many characters roles.
I said the vast majority. Who really cares what a small fraction think?
The Hardcore fans will never be satisfied with anything-that has been proven again and again in other works of vastly popular works.
If the producers of this are STUPID enough to pander to those hard core fans you love so much it will be a financial disaster.

Hardline

Reaction score
I said the vast majority. Who really cares what a small fraction think?
The Hardcore fans will never be satisfied with anything-that has been proven again and again in other works of vastly popular works.
If the producers of this are STUPID enough to pander to those hard core fans you love so much it will be a financial disaster.
The vast majority of people that seen the trilogy never even heard of Tolkien before the movies.
The vast majority never read a single Tolkien book.
The hardcore Tolkien fans were going to see this movie regardless. The plot was changed so much that it basically was a different movie with Lord of the Rings name attached to it.

CouchCoach

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Since they're writing origin stories about some of the characters Tolkien referred to in his books, they don't have to be concerned with Tolkien fans.

The producers of the LOTR don't really care because every complaining Tolkien fan paid to see the films and the Tolkien family gave their blessing after having reservations. It's like Stephen King or Tom Clancy fans complaining about breaking the books when making the films. The only films that I've seen that I would say closely modeled the books are the ones from John Grisham.

Turk

Reaction score
The vast majority of people that seen the trilogy never even heard of Tolkien before the movies.
The vast majority never read a single Tolkien book.
The hardcore Tolkien fans were going to see this movie regardless. The plot was changed so much that it basically was a different movie with Lord of the Rings name attached to it.
I was never all that impressed with the books anyway. I thought the movies were better.