“Luxury” picks

Diehardblues

Reaction score
I mean...............its a term with a specific meaning. And the term is actually very accurate from what it is to how it applies to football.

A luxury pick is a pick you dont need but take anyway because you simply want it. Thats what taking Pitts or another WR would be.

Now it might be justified or it might not, but its a great example of what a luxury pick would be.
If you have to explain what a luxury pick is it’s a red flag. We determined earlier in this thread there’s some troll like tendencies going on here. I wouldn’t wasted your time Roy.

CowboyRoy

Reaction score
If you have to explain what a luxury pick is it’s a red flag. We determined earlier in this thread there’s some troll like tendencies going on here. I wouldn’t wasted your time Roy.

Great point...........if you cant understand the concept of a "luxury pick" then that says it all.

LACowboysFan1

Reaction score
As I've said before, it can't be just bpa or just need.

Teams that have grabbed the "wow" player haven't been able in many cases to be highly successful with that player, i.e. the Bears with Mack, or the Texans with Clowney (though I really think he was so highly rated based off that one sack/tackle that got so much air play) or others. Some have been of course, but the point is it's seldom a good decision to go just with the "wow" player or just the need player. Have to temper your decision with input on both criteria...

charron

Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
I see posters use the term “luxury” pick over and over on this board. I don’t mean this offensively to any poster, or posters, but that terminology may be the most idiotic phrase ever used on this board.

This phrase is usually used in the context of “I know player “A” will probably be (or was) the best player available when we will pick (or did pick) but we can’t afford the best player available because it’s a luxury pick. Do you realize how idiotic that sounds?

The draft is about talent acquisition. The sole focus of the draft should be talent acquisition. The draft is not the only means of filling holes. Moreover, just because we pick a player at a position of need does not mean that we filled that hole.

If a player is selected at a position that we don’t have an immediate need for that isn’t a “luxury pick”. Lol. It’s talent acquisition. Churn your roster to fill the holes if you need to.

If you have Donald as your DT and another Donald falls to you are you going to turn him down because it’s a “luxury pick” because you don’t need another Donald? Hell no. You are going to sprint to the podium and turn in his card and have two Donalds on the roster.

So are you suggesting we draft another qb if they are the highest rated on the board at pick #10? A simple BPA is not the best use of the draft. It helps when BPA matches a need but you can not just blindly draft BPA.

Diehardblues

Reaction score
So are you suggesting we draft another qb if they are the highest rated on the board at pick #10? A simple BPA is not the best use of the draft. It helps when BPA matches a need but you can not just blindly draft BPA.
Right

Somewhere along the line BPA has been misinterpreted by some fans. It’s meant to mean BPA based on your needs and priorities.

And why we won’t be using the 1st pick on a QB, RB or WR this year. That said we might be looking further down the draft but they aren’t high priorities or positions of immediate needs.

Now if one of these positions for example were to fall in our slot then the more prudent decision would be to trade out of it and pick up additional draft capital.

Last edited:

charron

Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
Right

Somewhere along the line BPA has been misinterpreted by some fans. It’s meant to mean BPA based on your needs and priorities.

And why we won’t be using the 1st pick on a QB, RB or WR this year. That said we might be looking further down the draft but they aren’t high priorities or positions of immediate needs.

Now if one of these positions for example were to fall in our slot then the more prudent decision would be to trade out of it and pick up additional draft capital.

Agreed it's just not that simple. Gotta see the whole draft board, including who might be available later. If Slater and Surtain are available and both grading close but maybe slater is slightly higher i'd still take surtain for several reasons. 1. Surtain would come in and start immediately and Slater wouldn't unless injury. 2. Out of PFF top 300 you would have to hope their #29th ranked player who is a CB falls to you at pick 44 otherwise you are going top have to wait till the 3rd round or longer to get a CB we need to start opposite Diggs.