“Luxury” picks

kskboys

Reaction score
not according to what stephen jones said.
he said at the time of their pick,fsu rb dalvin cook was the last player on their board with a 1st round grade.
the pick should have been cook,tj watt or david njoku in hind sight.
loved the Taco pick at the time.
i defended it.
i was wrong.
Taco was a forced pick for need.
he was not BPA.
No, quit trying to further your BPA agenda. Taco was a bad pick, but he was BPA. What we should've done was evaluate better.

cowboyec

Reaction score
No, quit trying to further your BPA agenda. Taco was a bad pick, but he was BPA. What we should've done was evaluate better.
no.
he wasnt bpa.
i have no agenda.
just an opinion that apparently you disagree with or dont like.
move along.

Kingofholland

Reaction score
Do you select Taco Charlton if your team needs defense but Travis Kelce is available.

A large part of this board thinks you do lol.

Travis Kelce was a 3rd round pick so teams felt there were 62 players graded higher. Knowing what we know now it would be a no brainer to select Kelce over Taco of course. In that draft though Efiert was considered the best TE, how did that pan out?

Few TEs ever go high in the draft because it's not considered a premium position. I agree that Pitts is an intriguing option if he were to fall to 10, but in honesty I hope he's long gone so its not a decision we have to make.

Verdict

Reaction score
Pretty simple definition. A "luxury Pick" is one you don't need. Pretty accurate statement.

Cowboys at this point cant afford any "luxury picks" early. They need to nail the draft at positions of need. And since they have so many of them, this shouldnt be a problem.

RB, WR, TE, QB are not one of those needs. Not by a long shot.

And no, if you have 2 Donalds, you dont run the podium and pick a 3rd. LOL

For the simple fact that no one can guarantee that the draft pick will turn out to be another Donald.

"Luxury pick" is a great term and one that definitely applies to any WR or TE in the first round. Only way you take Pitts is if every other quality option is gone and no one will trade up for him.
There is no such thing as a luxury pick. Lol.

ICP

Reaction score
When you have Jerry a D Company drafting I'm not sure if there is such a thing as a luxury pick

plasticman

Reaction score
I always thought a "luxury pick" was when a really good team got their hands on a really high 1st round pick as the result of a trade. The idea is that this team is already successful and they are getting their original low pick in the 1st round in addition to a top 5.

For example, the Cowboys go to the Super Bowl in 1975, they also go to the playoffs in 1976 after an even better regular season, both seasons have a top 5 offense......and in the 1977 draft they have the #2 overall pick in the draft. They get Hall of famer Tony Dorsett and it almost seems unfair.

This was how I thought a "luxury pick' was defined. Another way would be when you have a league recognized elite squad and you then use a high pick on that position. In 1985 the Giants 3-4 featured a squad of linebackers in which 3 of the 4 were perennial pro bowlers. They had HOFer Lawrence Taylor, HOFer Harry Carson, Gary Reasons and Carl Banks. In the 1986 draft they take LB Pepper Johnson in the 2nd round.

So, a luxury pick to me was when a team is so good, they can get a top 5 pick that they didn't even earn, mess it up by drafting a bust, and it wouldn't even matter....except they wouldn't pick a bust with that pick which is why they are so good.

Imagine the Cowboys in the 70's....a team in the middle of a 20 year winning streak gets three drafts in four years in which they have the overall #1 or #2 pick.....other teams might consider that a luxury......and then two of the three players end up in the Hall of Fame......consider this a short version of the history of why the rest of the NFL hates the Dallas Cowboys.

RonnieT24

Reaction score
Surtain is the pick at 10 because he has the highest floor and will be a shutdown corner for years, something that we really need. He is a great player at a position of need.

There is no such thing in today's NFL. Surtain will likely be a good player in the NFL for a decade.. However it won't be in 2021.. He's going gets roasted this year no matter where he gets drafted. You can count the number of cornerbacks who have been dominant from day one in the NFL on one hand and have fingers leftover.

slick325

Reaction score
If he was the best player on our board, YES. I would even select a QB after signing Dak to his mega-deal, if I thought he was the next Tom Brady or Peyton Manning.

I was wondering if someone would have posted this, even after giving Prescott that deal. Would this Board go nuts if they decided to acquire talent at the QB position that they have rated higher on their board than any other player available when they select in the 1st round? Yes!

Highly doubt that anyone on this board, except non-Prescott people, would be happy with Dallas' FO. No way they would accept..."it is about talent acquisition and we stuck to our board." Especially with salary cap implications involved.

Last edited:

RonnieT24

Reaction score
I was wondering if someone would have posted this, even after giving Prescott that deal. Would this Board go nuts if they decided to acquire talent at the QB position that they have rated higher on their board than any other player available when they select in the 1st round? Yes!

Highly doubt that anyone on this board, except non-Prescott people, would be happy with Dallas' FO. No way they would accept..."it is about talent acquisition and we stuck to our board." Especially with salary cap implications involved.

Drafting a QB after you just locked up your QB for a top 3 salary for the next 4 years and you wrote him a $65 million dollar bonus check would just plain stupid. Anybody advocating for such a thing simply wants the Cowboys to suck..

Tussinman

Reaction score
I think people get caught up in what we need this year as opposed to you a selecting a guy for not only this year but hopefully the next 5 to 10 years.
Whats even more funny is if in 2022 Gallup is gone and Cooper is either injured or declining those same fans that called Lamb a "luxury pick" would be on here saying "we could still have the rights to him for 3 more years, why didn't the cowboys draft him if they knew Gallup was gone and Cooper can't play on the road" if he had never been drafted.

Basically no matter what there going to complain.

CowboyRoy

Reaction score
Passive aggressive much? LOL.

I mean...............its a term with a specific meaning. And the term is actually very accurate from what it is to how it applies to football.

A luxury pick is a pick you dont need but take anyway because you simply want it. Thats what taking Pitts or another WR would be.

Now it might be justified or it might not, but its a great example of what a luxury pick would be.

Verdict

Reaction score
Whats even more funny is if in 2022 Gallup is gone and Cooper is either injured or declining those same fans that called Lamb a "luxury pick" would be on here saying "we could still have the rights to him for 3 more years, why didn't the cowboys draft him if they knew Gallup was gone and Cooper can't play on the road" if he had never been drafted.

Basically no matter what there going to complain.
That’s mostly true for many members on this board.

Verdict

Reaction score

If you stick to your board, year in and year out, things would average out over time. 80 percent of your draft picks might be on offense this year and 90 percent may be on defense next year.

If you stick to your draft board you get Zack Martin. If you reach for need you get Taco. That’s why you stick to your draft board.

If you have Dak, who you just resigned and the next Tom Brady is there you draft him, and then find out if he is who you think he is. If he is you flip Dak for lots of draft picks and roll with cheap Tom Brady labor costs.

If you stick to your board, you will end up with a lot higher percentage of hits than if you are reaching. A reach is generally a bust.

Scotman

Reaction score
Draft talent. If you don't take a quality player who is clearly ahead of the other options, you'll regret is. You are one injury away from it being a "luxury" pick to being an absolute necessity.

RonnieT24

Reaction score
Draft talent. If you don't take a quality player who is clearly ahead of the other options, you'll regret is. You are one injury away from it being a "luxury" pick to being an absolute necessity.

I agree to a point.. It's not JUST talent.. It has to be ability to impact the game. If there a running back rated as the top player left on your board you pass because you already have two good ones and there is no easy way to get impact from the new guy. You'd have to dump Zeke and eat a ton of cap and even then there is no guarantee the new guy will be what you project him to be.. If he turns into a bust you end up with very stinky egg on your face. You gotta be logical in how you approach this thing. Get you a great player who you can use to impact your team. If you can't use him (or won't) then don't take him.. If we take Slater or Sewell I believe both can play guard and probably play it well until it's determined that Tyron or Collins can no longer perform.. If we take Surtain or Horn either would be a day one starter at corner and be a solid starter at minimum with a possibility to develop into a great one. If we take Chase or Pitts, unless we have a plan to use them to maximize their talents then it would be a huge mistake.

TheGoat73

Reaction score
I think people get caught up in what we need this year as opposed to you a selecting a guy for not only this year but hopefully the next 5 to 10 years.

And that’s why taking Sewell, if he fell, would be amazing.

Scotman

Reaction score
I agree to a point.. It's not JUST talent.. It has to be ability to impact the game. If there a running back rated as the top player left on your board you pass because you already have two good ones and there is no easy way to get impact from the new guy. You'd have to dump Zeke and eat a ton of cap and even then there is no guarantee the new guy will be what you project him to be.. If he turns into a bust you end up with very stinky egg on your face. You gotta be logical in how you approach this thing. Get you a great player who you can use to impact your team. If you can't use him (or won't) then don't take him.. If we take Slater or Sewell I believe both can play guard and probably play it well until it's determined that Tyron or Collins can no longer perform.. If we take Surtain or Horn either would be a day one starter at corner and be a solid starter at minimum with a possibility to develop into a great one. If we take Chase or Pitts, unless we have a plan to use them to maximize their talents then it would be a huge mistake.

I completely agree. I was generalizing. There are other variables that can have a huge impact. Taking a QB top 10 right now would crack the space-time continuum. lol