News: “Move Over Sweetness, Make a Place for Emmitt!”

CCBoy

Reaction score
“Move Over Sweetness, Make a Place for Emmitt!”

http://www.5pointsblue.com/move-over-sweetness/

October 27th is the anniversary of one of the greatest milestones in the history of the Cowboys: Emmitt Smith breaking Walter Payton’s career rushing record.

(AP Photo/Tim Sharp)

Smith became the NFL’s all-time leading rusher in a game at Texas Stadium against the Seattle Seahawks on October 27, 2002. In the 4th quarter with 9:28 remaining on the clock, the Cowboys had the ball 2nd and 7 at their own 30 yard line. Emmitt took a handoff and burst up the middle with an 11-yard gain for the record-breaking run.

Here’s the call from Cowboys Radio play-by-play voice Brad Sham: “I-formation, two receivers right. Second-and-seven from the Dallas 30. Hutchinson handoff, Smith at left guard, 35, 40 yard-line! Right on the mark! That should do it! Move over, Sweetness! Make a place for Emmitt!”

With that carry, Emmitt moved past Payton (nicknamed “Sweetness”), the former Chicago Bear, and Payton’s previous record of 16,726 career rushing yards which he set during his final season in 1987 .

By the end of the game on October 27th versus the Seahawks, Emmitt had 16,743 yards. At the end of the 2002 season, his last as a Dallas Cowboy, he extended the record to 17,162 career rushing yards.

Here’s a look back at the record-setting event and some fun facts about Emmett’s big night:

– The starting offensive line that blocked for Emmitt that night was: LT Flozell Adams, LG Jeremy McKinney, C Andre Gurode, RG Solomon Page, and RT Javier Collins.

– Do you remember which Cowboys’ quarterback started that game and handed the ball to Emmitt on the record breaking run? Give yourself a pat on the back if you remembered it was Chad Hutchinson!

– The play call in the huddle by Hutchinson was “15 lead”.

– The Seahawks defender credited with making the tackle on Emmitt’s record-breaking run was cornerback Ken Lucas.

– The fullback who, along with the offensive line, helped clear the path on Emmitt’s run was Robert Thomas...

Bullflop

Cowboys Diehard
Reaction score
What I admired about that whole thing about Emmitt and Sweetness is that to this day, Emmitt still credits Payton with being the greatest.

There's always a place for humility and giving him his due, even if you had broken his record for career yardage. I thought that was cool!

Bullflop

Cowboys Diehard
Reaction score
Let's not get off course here...they BOTH had tremendous heart and took the fight to the opponent on very single play.

To be sure, both had incredible careers. To me, it just made Emmitt even greater in stature to give Payton the respect that he did. It's quite natural for anyone to desire the lion's share of accolades for himself but I felt that humbly honoring the player whose record he broke was exemplary and really spoke volumes for Emmitt as a human being. Not taking anything away from him, though -- what he accomplished was beyond outstanding.

Last edited:

Don Corleone

Reaction score
That game was spoiled by a defenseless receiver penalty at the end by Woody. Seattle won.

big dog cowboy

THE BIG DOG
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
emmitt-smith-cowboys-nfl-all-time-leading-rusher.jpg

MileyDancer

Reaction score
I got Emmitt's autograph yesterday. Of course, I had to pay for it since Emmitt is a little ***** when it comes to autographs.