07 defense compared to the 06 defense through week 6.

theebs

Believe!!!!
Reaction score

dargonking999

DKRandom
Reaction score
Let's remember though, through the first 6 games, our defense was kickin ***. It was the last 8 that burned us.

Idgit

Fattening up
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
That is pretty interesting. This year, we've had key injuries. I'd imagine the offenses we've played overall have been comparable--some really bad teams this year, but we also had the Giants and Pats in that mix.

It bodes well for the rest of the year now that we have Ellis and Henry back if we can get better from here on out. Our defense was strong through midseason last year.

superpunk

Reaction score
dargonking999;1740797 said:
Let's remember though, through the first 6 games, our defense was kickin ***. It was the last 8 that burned us.

I think that's what we're all still afraid of.

Through those games in 06, I will say for the defense, that it wasn't playing with Reeves and Parakeet Jones having a huge role on defense. So, I think you can point at a slight improvement, in that we've basically maintained our defensive production from last year (which was very good early) despite losing quite a few starters to injury.

That's a feather in 07's cap.

dargonking999

DKRandom
Reaction score
superpunk;1740806 said:
I think that's what we're all still afraid of.

Through those games in 06, I will say for the defense, that it wasn't playing with Reeves and Parakeet Jones having a huge role on defense. So, I think you can point at a slight improvement, in that we've basically maintained our defensive production from last year (which was very good early) despite losing quite a few starters to injury.

That's a feather in 07's cap.

Well we can also say in 06 we had a rookie starting at FS, and BP's coaching style.

But in 07 we did have a rookie playing a OLB, and Ratliff at NT since Week 2.

So i guess the glass still tips in 07's favor

superpunk

Reaction score
dargonking999;1740809 said:
Well we can also say in 06 we had a rookie starting at FS, and BP's coaching style.

You're right. With Bill's two-time Super Bowl winning coaching style, that 06 defense should have been WAY better.

I just can't figure out which cap this feather goes in. :confused:

theebs

Believe!!!!
Reaction score
dargonking999;1740809 said:

I think it is a warning sign that this defense is still very similar. Last year we played jax, philly and ny in the first 6 weeks.

This year you could argue we played ny, ne and the bears as the only good teams. Not so sure the bears are as good as the jax team we played last year though.

Time will tell, I just think those numbers are interesting.

dargonking999

DKRandom
Reaction score
superpunk;1740819 said:
You're right. With Bill's two-time Super Bowl winning coaching style, that 06 defense should have been WAY better.

I just can't figure out which cap this feather goes in. :confused:

Let's not forget the decade that those SB's were won in.

Hint: it wasn't in the 2000's

theebs

Believe!!!!
Reaction score
dargonking999;1740824 said:
Let's not forget the decade that those SB's were won in.

Hint: it wasn't in the 2000's

We did have a 6 sack game against the skins last year in week 2 so that skews those numbers a bit. And those were under bp's coaching style, not sure what you mean by that.

Rampage

Benched
Reaction score
theebs;1740831 said:
We did have a 6 sack game against the skins last year in week 2 so that skews those numbers a bit. And those were under bp's coaching style, not sure what you mean by that.
unaggresive defense. hey theebs, i see you removed your terry glenn tombstone sig. it's too late theebs:(

InmanRoshi

Zone Scribe
Reaction score
We've been hurt by injuries this year, but helped by playing Rex Grossman, Trent Green, Tavarius Jackson and Trent Edwards.

Mainly what I look at is a difference in players. I haven't really seen a player blossom in Wade's scheme, even after the countless articles in the offseason detailing how Parcells supposedly smothered talent. Canty under Wade is basically Canty under Parcells... 2 sacks a year. Spears is still Spears. Roy is still Roy. Kevin Burnett is still Kevin Burnett. Carpenter might actually have less impact this year. Demarcus is on pace for about 11-13 sacks this year, he had 11.5 last year. You would expect a natural improvement just from a player going from his 2nd to 3rd year, but I don't see a night and day difference. I suppose Bradie James, but he may have benefited most from the weight loss and he played at a very high level under Parcells in 05.

CrazyCowboy

Reaction score
We must stay focused and try to improve.

I am really excited to see how Tank can cause problems in the middle of the line......and Henry will be back.......I am worried about Glenn though....he may not make it Zoners.

YosemiteSam

Unfriendly and Aloof!
Reaction score
As Parcells says, you are what you are. You can make excuses and give reasons till the cows come home, but nothing changes. The Cowboys look the same. They still give up deep plays when facing a good passing team. They aren't producing sacks like everyone thought they would under Wade.

Now, I'm not saying their defense sucks by no means. What I will say is while the Chargers defense dominated last year early, they fell off the table at the end of the year and finished pretty much middle of the pack. (10th overall) I expect the same thing from the Cowboys defense this season. Middle of the pack by the time the season is over.

Look out, better offenses ahead.

theebs

Believe!!!!
Reaction score
nyc;1740882 said:
As Parcells says, you are what you are. You can make excuses and give reasons till the cows come home, but nothing changes. The Cowboys look the same. They still give up deep plays when facing a good passing team. They aren't producing sacks like everyone thought they would under Wade.

Now, I'm not saying their defense sucks by no means. What I will say is while the Chargers defense dominated last year early, they fell off the table at the end of the year and finished pretty much middle of the pack. (10th overall) I expect the same thing from the Cowboys defense this season. Middle of the pack by the time the season is over.

Look out, better offenses ahead.

by the end of the seasons, somthing that Babe Laufenberg (who is always spot on) said in July may ring true.

The scheme doesnt matter here because the players on defense are not very good.

I cringed when he said that because he is right about so much, I still think we have to wait to evaluate this D, but right now I see slight to none in terms of difference.

koolaid

Drink Me
Reaction score
even if the only difference is in an improved player attitude that is at least some improvement. However, i don't think those numbers exactly tell the whole story.

YosemiteSam

Unfriendly and Aloof!
Reaction score
theebs;1740886 said:
by the end of the seasons, somthing that Babe Laufenberg (who is always spot on) said in July may ring true.

I cringed when he said that because he is right about so much, I still think we have to wait to evaluate this D, but right now I see slight to none in terms of difference.

I agree, and as much as so many people are going to hate this, I think Roy Williams play is tailing off from where it was when he entered this league. I think Hamlin is a better overall SS and we just need to land a good FS.

What I mean by better overall safety is the same thing people mean when they say Witten is the best overall TE even though the "Experts" only look at receiving numbers.

Can Watkins step into that role? I don't know, but with Hamlin being a field general type player and Roy being a big-time fan favorite. I don't think thats going to happen this year and won't happen next year if they resign Hamlin.

dboyz

Reaction score
The story of the 2007 defense definitely remains to be written. However, there are some good signs about this year's defense.

1. Our cornerbacks have not been healthy and Reeves and Jones have played much more extensively than planned, yet our defense has still been all right.

2. In addition, Ellis is coming off of injury and is just getting healthy.

3. Our pressure on the QB is better this year by my eyes. Now is it multitudes better, no, but it is better and it hasn't gotten better by sacrificing the run D, because our run defense has still been very solid.

4. I think this scheme is better for Spears, Hatcher, and maybe others. Some are expecting Spears to be Reggie White, which he is not close, but I think he is a better player this year.

The rest of the year will tell the true story, particularly when we play the good passing offenses and are able to match up with a healthy secondary. That's what I'm looking to. We are on pace to have to guys with double digit sacks. When's the last time that happened? I bet we have more sacks this year than we've had in 10 years.

Bob Sacamano

Benched
Reaction score
the big difference between the '06 2nd half, and the soon to be coming '07 2nd half, is having Greg Ellis, we missed him dearly last year, and now we'll have him and another good pass-rusher in Tank Johnson for the 2nd half of the season, along w/ a healthy Newman and Henry, plus our FS position isn't as piss-poor as it was last year, I agree w/ the person who said that we might ultimately finish around 10th on D, but our bread and butter is the O, which is good enough to win alot of games

Wade's scheme should help our D in the 2nd half, not by making our players, esp. our ends, play much better, but that they won't have do the tire-some job of manning up on their guy every single play, and will be allowed to shoot the gaps, I think that was the biggest reason why our D sagged in the 2nd half every year under Parcells, the players, and again, esp. the ends, got wore down by playing the 2-gap style of 3-4 preferred by Parcells

Rampage

Benched
Reaction score
theebs;1740886 said:

ya know i was starting to wonder if that is the case. i think we wasted some of those 1st rounders on guys like spears and carpenter.