07 defense compared to the 06 defense through week 6.

BBQ101

Reaction score
InmanRoshi;1740845 said:
We've been hurt by injuries this year, but helped by playing Rex Grossman, Trent Green, Tavarius Jackson and Trent Edwards.

Mainly what I look at is a difference in players. I haven't really seen a player blossom in Wade's scheme, even after the countless articles in the offseason detailing how Parcells supposedly smothered talent. Canty under Wade is basically Canty under Parcells... 2 sacks a year. Spears is still Spears. Roy is still Roy. Kevin Burnett is still Kevin Burnett. Carpenter might actually have less impact this year. Demarcus is on pace for about 11-13 sacks this year, he had 11.5 last year. You would expect a natural improvement just from a player going from his 2nd to 3rd year, but I don't see a night and day difference. I suppose Bradie James, but he may have benefited most from the weight loss and he played at a very high level under Parcells in 05.

I think we just may see Ellis starting to blossom. The man is comming off an Achilles injury, but is averaging just over a sack a game since comming back. That is pretty dang good.

Also, the scheme has been hampered a bit by the injuries to our CBs. Newman is still not 100% and you really can't overlook that. That is still a major blow to this D. We also lost our big man NT in Fergy. Now Ratliff has definately stepped up, so not sure if that's a push though. Also, we had a rookie who changed positions starting for the first 4 or 5 games?

Personally I see the defense improving. We should start to see both CB starting which will free up the D to do some more things. A fresh Tank so too speak is comming back as well.

Lets not forget, its still the 3-4, but it is a new scheme to these guys. Personally, I think the D is better this year than last. Hasn't Wade said that other teams have had to "max protect" more? I look for us to continue to improve, although we are starting to get better competition rolling in as well, so it might not be so obvious.

BBQ

Bob Sacamano

Benched
Reaction score
I forgot to add that we won't have our both are safeties playing deep cover-2 every, single defensive snap

dboyz

Reaction score
Update from the Eagles game:

Ware has 7 sacks on pace for 14.

Ellis has 5.5 sacks on pace for 11 (actually more than that if you consider that Ellis has only played about half the year so far)

21 total sacks on pace for 42.

We've intercepted 12 balls on pace for 24.

10 forced fumbles on pace for 20.

I still say the that the story of our defense for 2007 is yet to be written, but I think one thing is clear: our defense is better than it was a year ago.

Chocolate Lab

Run-loving Dino
Reaction score
As others have said, we were amazingly injury-free last year. How would Parcells and his rigid system have coped with losing Fergy for the year? What about Henry and Newman being out? Would we have Hamlin, or would we be trying to scrape for the third year to scrape by with a scrub/project at free safety?

Reaction score
You need to factor in that the Cowboys flaws were exposed and then exploited for the rest of the year. That exploitation would have carried over to the beginning of this year if the same flaws still existed,,, but they don't!! One of the biggest flaws that was addressed was horrible offensive line play that wouldn't allow them to sustain drives and keep that defense off of the field.

Nors

Benched
Reaction score
Sure feels like we are forcing more turnovers and better pressure on QB this year.

jrumann59

Reaction score
How many of those deep plays were allowed when the team had a comfortable lead. You can play this type of statistical defense when you are playing with a huge lead in the 3rd and 4th quarters. In that time frame your cover loosens up and you try and keep everything in front of you.