'08 Injuries a product of conditioning?

AdamJT13

Salary Cap Analyst
Reaction score
I'm pretty sure broken bones have nothing to do with conditioning.

TheCount

Pixel Pusher
Reaction score
AdamJT13;2383524 said:

I'm not sure he understands what conditioning means.

khiladi

Reaction score
AdamJT13;2383524 said:

Muscle weakness, as a result of poor conditoning, can lead to less stability, resulting in broken bones...

joseephuss

Reaction score
Doesn't Dallas still have the same strength and conditioning coach that they have had for years? If so, then the answer is no. Some of these injuries are just bad luck like Romo breaking a pinky or Roy breaking his arm.

The team rarely participates in full contact drills especially in camp, but a lot of teams do the same thing. Injuries are just part of the game. Dallas has been fairly lucky the past couple of years and now they have been very unlucky. It happens. The Patriots are going through a lot of injuries this year as well. So are the Steelers. Do people question their off season and training camp methods?

bootyhunta

Reaction score
This years camp was no different than last years camp, and we had very few injuries last year.

Injuries are just a part of the game, are some due to conditioning, probably, but I would say a majority are just bad luck.

AdamJT13

Salary Cap Analyst
Reaction score
khiladi;2383544 said:
Muscle weakness, as a result of poor conditoning, can lead to less stability, resulting in broken bones...

I'm not a doctor, but it doesn't seem like conditioning and muscle strength would be closely related. A 130-pound ultramarathon runner would be highly conditioned but might not be able to bench press 100 pounds. A 290-pound bodybuilder might bench press 500 but get winded running 40 yards. If you put both of them in an NFL game, I'm pretty sure the well-conditioned ultramarathon runner would be much more likely to end up with a broken bone than the poorly conditioned bodybuilder.

I'm also wondering what type of "conditioning" strengthens the muscle below the pinky knuckle.

theebs

Believe!!!!
Reaction score
I'm also wondering what type of "conditioning" strengthens the muscle below the pinky knuckle

oh we all know the answer to that...!

Chocolate Lab

Run-loving Dino
Reaction score
AdamJT13;2383593 said:
I'm also wondering what type of "conditioning" strengthens the muscle below the pinky knuckle.
Or a forearm bone... Or a rib...

The only injuries that you might say *could* be conditioning-related are the hamstring pulls. But Felix is an extremely hard worker, so I doubt that's a factor. Spencer, who knows, but it's still a stretch to say he pulled his hamstring due to laziness.

superpunk

Reaction score
Joe Jurazek is still here.

But I don't think you can rule out lack of contact in training camp as a possible drawback - it's not like taking it easy on them last year helped them look fresh in December.

You can't rule it out. Nothing prepares you for contact except for contact.

AdamJT13

Salary Cap Analyst
Reaction score
superpunk;2383607 said:
You can't rule it out. Nothing prepares you for contact except for contact.

Are we talking about contact or conditioning? You can condition in shorts and shirts. Or you can pad up and beat on each other without being in condition.

superpunk

Reaction score
AdamJT13;2383617 said:
Are we talking about contact or conditioning? You can condition in shorts and shirts. Or you can pad up and beat on each other without being in condition.
Joe Jurazek is still here - I think that addresses the conditioning issue.

Being prepared for full speed contact is another thing entirely. I know these guys have gone at it all their life, but your body needs to work up to it's instinctive reaction to getting hit, and not being put in a position leading to injury.

It's not the same issue, but it's related. I think the OP is intimating that Camp Cupcake is to blame for our injury problems.

I would say that you can't rule it out - but you can't say it's definitely so, either.

khiladi

Reaction score
AdamJT13;2383593 said:
I'm not a doctor, but it doesn't seem like conditioning and muscle strength would be closely related.

Enduarnce training requires strength, but it employs a different muscle fibre. Endurance runners have a high concerntration of slow-twitch muscle fibers. It also is beneficial for bone density as well. The point I was making though is that lack of conditioning may force the muscle into awkward positions over a period of time, which could lead to breakage.

Hell, even strength training can increase the potential for injury, depending upon how the muscles are exercised. Many people, while adding strength, train in such a way that they create imbalances.

Tobal

Reaction score
I think he is referring to the knuckle shuffle, which might make it more Jessica's fault than Wades.

Seriously though, injuries come in bunches and Dallas has been somewhat lucky.

CF74

Vet Min Plus
Reaction score
Fatigue can be caused by lack of proper rest, water or dehydration, and proper nutrition, or 350 lbs falling on your pinkie...;)

Nightman

Capologist
Reaction score
Going full contact in practice would only add injuries. Getting hit more doesn't toughen you up physically. It would help tackling technique and attitude, but that is not the question. The idea is to weight train, condition, prepare and execute.

Nors

Benched
Reaction score
Bill Parcells was adament on conditioning lessons chances of injuries. Probably bad luck some but I have never seen injuries to this extent.

Tnew - Groin
Henry - Quad
Felixcat - Hammy
Austin - knee
Stanbach - shoulder

It's far from all broken bones.