1-22 Updated Mock (using cbssports rankings)

jterrell

Penguinite
Reaction score
r1-16.5 ---At this point I am looking to trade down much like Latin did. I want to sell a QB obviously but the guys I had targeted early are gone. Barr, Ealy, Dix. so... assume I can trade down.

Trade pick 16.5 to Cleveland Browns for pick 26 and the 3rd round pick they have from Pitt. Browns want Dix or Carr here and Carr was on the board.

r1-26 --- Aaron Donald, DT, Pitt Dallas should stick to what has worked best for them. Moving down and targeting a guy who has played extremely well on the field for a long period of time. Donald is limited in some ways but he is truly proven and offers playmaking like only the guys in the top 10.

r2-~49 --- Lamarcus Joyner, CB/FS, FSU. Another Donald-type pick. Short player who has excelled on the field. Can hit and cover. Used to come up and play run very effectively for FSU versus Auburn who ran over everyone else including Bama. --as a caveat if Dallas wanted to use Carr at FS they could use Joyner at nickel CB.

r3-~82 --- Gabe Jackson, OG, MissSt. Fatty from SEC. Need I say more? Depth and injury protection year 1.
r3- from Browns via Pitt ~85 --- Jeremiah Attaochu, WDE, Georgia Tech. Left GT tied for career lead in sacks. Ware back up this year and replacement as soon as next. --better version of wilber

r4-~117 --- Jordan Zumwalt, LB, UCLA. Tearing up Mobile. Can play SLB position for sure. Run stopper more than pass coverage guy but length helps in eating space in zones. Effort guy and gym rat.

r5-~155 --- George Uko, DT, USC. Uko is a 275 lb pass rushing 3T which seems an odd pick after Donald in R1 but Dallas needs depth amongst it's DL and Uko can play SDE and 3T. He can give you 20-25 snaps a game as a rookie and as his team-tying 5 sacks attest he can pass rush.

no r6 due to trade in 2013.

r7a ~225 --- Tevin Reese, Slot Wr/Kick Returner, Baylor. Small but electric player. Can return kicks if Harris is needed at WR. Can back up Beasley in slot. Adds huge burst of speed.
r7b ~235 --- Trey Milliard, FB, OU. Milliard is the best true FB to come out of college in a long time. Injury drops him as does position. Dallas can basically eat a redshirt to lock up this 7 year starter. Catches well, blocks well and runs well. This is Moose but injured. PUP/IR year 1.
r7c~245 --- David Fluellen, RB, Toledo. Big back with great hands. Lacks special athleticism but can do it all right away. Fits as a 3rd RB and short yardage guy. Could be good weapon on 3rd downs due to size and hands. Good vision to get yardage and good agility to cut for a man his size. Goes to camp as 4th RB and has to beat someone out for roster spot. Size to help on special teams and ability to block due to size give him a real chance.

tm1119

Reaction score
Not a fan of Joyner or Zumwalt but overall its pretty good. I agree that a trade back looks very appealing again this year. Either a QB(carr) or LT (martin or kouandijo) will be sitting on the board and there will more than 1 team calling Jerry. We just can't pass on a more talented front 7 guy just for the sake of adding a 3rd rounder though.

jterrell

Penguinite
Reaction score
depth chart assuming no major FA signings.

WR Dez, Harris, Benford
WR TWill, Beasley, Reese
TE Witten, Hanna
WR/TE Escobar, Beasley, Reese

LT: Tyron, Weems
LG: Leary, Jackson
OC: Frederick, Costa
RG: Bern, Jackson
RT: Free, Parnell

QB: Romo, Orton
RB: Murray, UNT, Randle
FB: Clutts or none

DE: Ware, Attaochu
1T: Hayden, Wynn
3T: Donald, Bass, Uko
DE: Crawford, Selvie, Uko

WLB: Holloman, Carter
MLB: Lee, Carter
SLB: Wilber, Zumwalt

CB: Scandrick, Mo, Webb
CB: Carr, Mo, Webb

FS: Joyner, Church, Johnson/Jakar
SS: Church, Wilcox, Heath

jterrell

Penguinite
Reaction score
Not a fan of Joyner or Zumwalt but overall its pretty good. I agree that a trade back looks very appealing again this year. Either a QB(carr) or LT (martin or kouandijo) will be sitting on the board and there will more than 1 team calling Jerry. We just can't pass on a more talented front 7 guy just for the sake of adding a 3rd rounder though.

if there is a front 7 guy or Safety that fits scheme i dont think we'd trade.

jterrell

Penguinite
Reaction score

I can actually understand fully those picks being questioned.
But they are really good football players that have produced at the highest level of football college football.

both were excellent in the bowl games.

still lack of athleticism for Zumwalt and lack of height for Joyner are red flags.

I think Joyner is the closest thing to Honey Badger in this draft. He can blitz out of nickel CB/Safety slot and can cover and can tackle. He's just short.

tm1119

Reaction score
if there is a front 7 guy or Safety that fits scheme i dont think we'd trade.

That's the part that scares me. I don't want to pass on a guy that is rated higher but is too heavy for Marenelli. That's going to be a huge mistake in my opinion.

LatinMind

iPhotoshop
Reaction score
r1-16.5 ---At this point I am looking to trade down much like Latin did. I want to sell a QB obviously but the guys I had targeted early are gone. Barr, Ealy, Dix. so... assume I can trade down.

Trade pick 16.5 to Cleveland Browns for pick 26 and the 3rd round pick they have from Pitt. Browns want Dix or Carr here and Carr was on the board.

r1-26 --- Aaron Donald, DT, Pitt Dallas should stick to what has worked best for them. Moving down and targeting a guy who has played extremely well on the field for a long period of time. Donald is limited in some ways but he is truly proven and offers playmaking like only the guys in the top 10.

r2-~49 --- Lamarcus Joyner, CB/FS, FSU. Another Donald-type pick. Short player who has excelled on the field. Can hit and cover. Used to come up and play run very effectively for FSU versus Auburn who ran over everyone else including Bama. --as a caveat if Dallas wanted to use Carr at FS they could use Joyner at nickel CB.

r3-~82 --- Gabe Jackson, OG, MissSt. Fatty from SEC. Need I say more? Depth and injury protection year 1.
r3- from Browns via Pitt ~85 --- Jeremiah Attaochu, WDE, Georgia Tech. Left GT tied for career lead in sacks. Ware back up this year and replacement as soon as next. --better version of wilber

r4-~117 --- Jordan Zumwalt, LB, UCLA. Tearing up Mobile. Can play SLB position for sure. Run stopper more than pass coverage guy but length helps in eating space in zones. Effort guy and gym rat.

r5-~155 --- George Uko, DT, USC. Uko is a 275 lb pass rushing 3T which seems an odd pick after Donald in R1 but Dallas needs depth amongst it's DL and Uko can play SDE and 3T. He can give you 20-25 snaps a game as a rookie and as his team-tying 5 sacks attest he can pass rush.

no r6 due to trade in 2013.

r7a ~225 --- Tevin Reese, Slot Wr/Kick Returner, Baylor. Small but electric player. Can return kicks if Harris is needed at WR. Can back up Beasley in slot. Adds huge burst of speed.
r7b ~235 --- Trey Milliard, FB, OU. Milliard is the best true FB to come out of college in a long time. Injury drops him as does position. Dallas can basically eat a redshirt to lock up this 7 year starter. Catches well, blocks well and runs well. This is Moose but injured. PUP/IR year 1.
r7c~245 --- David Fluellen, RB, Toledo. Big back with great hands. Lacks special athleticism but can do it all right away. Fits as a 3rd RB and short yardage guy. Could be good weapon on 3rd downs due to size and hands. Good vision to get yardage and good agility to cut for a man his size. Goes to camp as 4th RB and has to beat someone out for roster spot. Size to help on special teams and ability to block due to size give him a real chance.

I dont think Donald will get past chicago. And i dont think Cleveland would trade for Carr, They want Manziel bad.

Joyners height is scary 5'8

Love Zumwalt, but i think Would have to draft him in the 3rd.

Uko would be a good pickup in Rd5

strasscat

Reaction score
Love the Joyner pick, he's like Tyrann Matthieu but better, he can do it all in the backfield, his height is the only thing that keeps him out of the first round.

AsthmaField

Outta bounds
Reaction score
I dont think Donald will get past chicago. And i dont think Cleveland would trade for Carr, They want Manziel bad.

Joyners height is scary 5'8

Love Zumwalt, but i think Would have to draft him in the 3rd.

Uko would be a good pickup in Rd5

I wrote this in another thread, but I will repeat it here:

I have heard that the Chicago GM has said they plan on playing more of a 3-4/4-3 hybrid defense next year with more 2-gap than 1-gap being played. If that is indeed the case, even if Chicago does go with a DT with their first pick, it probably would be someone more like Nix that could 2-gap if necessary.

Donald would have been a perfect fit for them when Lovie was there. Now, not so much.

He does fit perfectly here in Dallas though.

mickswag

Reaction score
Like Jackson and Zumwalt but not a fan of Joyner at all. Other than that, I'd be very happy with this.

jterrell

Penguinite
Reaction score
Never good when you have to explain your jokes, even though you know damn well everybody got it the first time. :)

lol, i didnt get back to the thread til now, i wasnt laying out on you, haha.

if it makes you feel better i had to actually cut and paste that friggin name.

jterrell

Penguinite
Reaction score
various: thanks for comments all.

player rating: i am using CBS and not drafting anyone rated above the slot. it's hardly science but it does keep me honest.
if they rate a guy poorly i will take the steal every time of course.
their list was updated the 22nd though so at least current if flawed.

donald is not expected to play more than 75% of the downs so teams may not value him as highly as say we would or seattle.
i think he'll be really high on our board compared to others but of course it only takes one team to prove me wrong... and leave us drafting a TE. (that was a joke but i know not a lot of funny in it)

joyner: yup. dude is short. can't debate that fact. but man i really do love his game. i dont see the holes that are very present in others. very physical and tough guy who can flat run and jump.
if his combine results are poor he'll fall a good ways but i dont expect that. i keyed him almost all NCG and he was excellent.

i'll do a mock via drafttek as well just to see how it shifts with another source of rankings.

JDSTAR

Reaction score
Any mock that has Aaron Donald and Gabe Jackson in it is aok by me! Love the Uko pick and the logic behind it, too.

RS12

Reaction score

Love your 3rd round but comparing Attaochu to Wilber is an insult to Attaochu. Wilber posted a measly 3 sacks as senior. Attaochu got double digit sacks this year. Pass rushers are hard to find so I doubt he is there at that point.

Future

Intramural Legend
Reaction score
That's the part that scares me. I don't want to pass on a guy that is rated higher but is too heavy for Marenelli. That's going to be a huge mistake in my opinion.
Yea but there's no point in drafting a guy who can't be used to his fullest abilities. It's a fine line between drafting for scheme and drafting talent, but in terms of our DLine, drafting a 340 lb behemoth just doesn't make as much sense as getting a guy who can get up the field consistently.