Reaction score
1) Phil Mathis DT
2) Jarrett Patterson OC
3) Channing Tindall LB
4a) Sam LaPorta TE
4b) Zach Harrison DE
5) Sterling Weatherford S
6) Max Kallenberger OG

We have elite guys on the edge and an elite LB. Now it’s time to add an elite DT up the middle.

KingintheNorth

Chris in Arizona
Reaction score
No.
1) Phil Mathis DT
2) Jarrett Patterson OC
3) Channing Tindall LB
4a) Sam LaPorta TE
4b) Zach Harrison DE
6) Max Kallenberger OG

We have elite guys on the edge and an elite LB. Now it’s time to add an elite DT up the middle.
giphy.gif

No-gif.gif

The Realist

Reaction score
I'm not in love with the idea of Mathis in the 1st round.

Who’s the best all around DT in the draft?

Who’s the best pass rushing DT in the draft?

Is your opinion on him at all influenced by where internet scouts gave him ranked?

KingintheNorth

Chris in Arizona
Reaction score
Who’s the best all around DT in the draft?

Who’s the best pass rushing DT in the draft?

Is your opinion on him at all influenced by where internet scouts gave him ranked?

I don't really want another "pass rushing DT" to be honest. We've invested consecutive 2nd or 3rd round picks in the "explosive, great first step" pass-rushing 3Tech types in Trysten Hill, Neville Gallimore, and Osawaru Odighizuwa.

Mathis doesn't flash for me. I don't see elite movement skills or explsoion out of him. He just kinds of muscles people and has a consistent motor (nothing wrong with that). As far as his numbers, his grading is really close to Georgia's Jordan Davis.

Jordan Davis 81.9 85.1 69.1
Phidarian Mathis 81.9 80.6 78.4

Stats-wise, Mathis has had a much better year with 49 tackles, 12 TFL's, and 9 sacks vs Davis with 30 tackles, 4.5 TFL, and 2 sacks

Davis is the run-stopper I want (need). He's bigger (6/6/340 vs 6/4/312) and younger (Class of 2018 vs Class of 2017).

If Mathis is still there in the 2nd round, then yes.

The Realist

Reaction score
I don't really want another "pass rushing DT" to be honest. We've invested consecutive 2nd or 3rd round picks in the "explosive, great first step" pass-rushing 3Tech types in Trysten Hill, Neville Gallimore, and Osawaru Odighizuwa.

Mathis doesn't flash for me. I don't see elite movement skills or explsoion out of him. He just kinds of muscles people and has a consistent motor (nothing wrong with that). As far as his numbers, his grading is really close to Georgia's Jordan Davis.

Jordan Davis 81.9 85.1 69.1
Phidarian Mathis 81.9 80.6 78.4

Stats-wise, Mathis has had a much better year with 49 tackles, 12 TFL's, and 9 sacks vs Davis with 30 tackles, 4.5 TFL, and 2 sacks

Davis is the run-stopper I want (need). He's bigger (6/6/340 vs 6/4/312) and younger (Class of 2018 vs Class of 2017).

If Mathis is still there in the 2nd round, then yes.

Mathis has more pass rush production in his final year than Osa/Hill/Gallimore had combined and vs better completion.

The Realist

Reaction score
I'm not saying he's not a good player.

I am saying I want more with my 1st round pick.

Part of our problem is we always try to get DT’s off the bargain bin. I think the last time we took DT in one was Russell Maryland in 1991. We take them in 2-3 like we used to try to do with OL prior to Tyron and we end up with DT’s who have the quickness but lack elite production. A proven producer at DT would do wonders for the rest of our pass rushers when there is no pocket to step up into.

Hardline

Reaction score
1) Phil Mathis DT
2) Jarrett Patterson OC
3) Channing Tindall LB
4a) Sam LaPorta TE
4b) Zach Harrison DE
6) Max Kallenberger OG

There are no elite DTs falling to our draft slot.