#1 pick - would you

DBOY3141

Reaction score
Let's play the "what if game" and say the new CBA puts in a rookie salary cap. Our free agency period goes as follows:

Offense

Resign Kosier to a two year deal.
Cut Columbo and Davis
Cut Barber
Do not resign Barron

Sign Tyson Clabo from Atlanta to play RT
Sign Chris Chester from Baltimore to play RG

Defense

Resign Bowen
Do not resign Spears/Hatcher/Sensy
Cut Brooking

Sign Paul Soliai from Miami to play NT and move Ratliff to DE
Sign Eric Weddle from San Diego to play S

Would you do the following:

Trade the #9 pick and the 2nd rounder to Carolina for #1 overall and draft Patrick Peterson or whoever you feel would best fit the team

or

Keep the #9 and the 2nd rounder take whoever you think we be in those two spots. (can only trade the #9 pick for the 1st overall)

CATCH17

1st Round Pick
Reaction score
DBOY3141;3794245 said:
Let's play the "what if game" and say the new CBA puts in a rookie salary cap. Our free agency period goes as follows:

Offense

Resign Kosier to a two year deal.
Cut Columbo and Davis
Cut Barber
Do not resign Barron

Sign Tyson Clabo from Atlanta to play RT
Sign Chris Chester from Baltimore to play RG

Defense

Resign Bowen
Do not resign Spears/Hatcher/Sensy
Cut Brooking

Sign Paul Soliai from Miami to play NT and move Ratliff to DE
Sign Eric Weddle from San Diego to play S

Would you do the following:

Trade the #9 pick and the 2nd rounder to Carolina for #1 overall and draft Patrick Peterson or whoever you feel would best fit the team

or

Keep the #9 and the 2nd rounder take whoever you think we be in those two spots. (can only trade the #9 pick for the 1st overall)

Keep my picks..

I like Peterson but no rookie is worth that #1 overall picks contract.

DBOY3141

Reaction score
CATCH17;3794265 said:
Keep my picks..

I like Peterson but no rookie is worth that #1 overall picks contract.

Part of my question was that the new CBA would fix that problem and institute some sort of rookie salary cap.

I like Peterson also, but I think Prince at #9 and then either a DL/OL in the 2nd could be just as good.

It would be a hard decision. Peterson could be a very special player.

eightysiX

Reaction score
It would probably take a lot more than our 1st and 2nd to get to the #1 pick. I know the draft point chart isnt really used anymore, but just as reference our 1st and 2nd are 1840 points and the 1st is 3k.

edit: to answer your question though i would keep our picks.

DFWJC

Reaction score
Lot of moving parts in that scenario (in the OP). lol

TheCount

Pixel Pusher
Reaction score
Signing a CB #1 overall would be, frankly, moronic in my opinion. And that is not to say I think your post isn't worth discussing, I just think a CB would have to be 6'8" with feet like a ballerina to validate being #1 overall.

No matter how good a CB is, he can only do so much. He isn't gonna shut his guy down for the entire game, not in the NFL and even if he is all world, who's to say they won't just exploit your #2 and #3?

dbair1967

Arch Defender
Reaction score
DBOY3141;3794245 said:

)

no way in hell...he isnt worth the first pick of the draft for starters, and he isnt worth us trading our 2nd rd pick to move up anywhere for

lastly, it would cost alot more than just our 2nd to move from 9 to 1

TwoCentPlain

Numbnuts
Reaction score
Given the scenario you laid out, I'd go for it.

However, it is a very rosey scenario. If a rookie salary cap is in place, the #1 pick's value increases tremendously.

Now, if Carolina asks for the Cowboys 1st rd, 2nd rd, and CB Jenkins? What do you do?