#1 running defense vs. #1 rushing offense

SaltwaterServr

Blank Paper Offends Me
Reaction score
HoosierCowboy;4198944 said:
I think the game will be decided by the Dallas passing game--Philly should try to stop the run and single up our WRs; if we can run on them, we win. if they stop the run, we have to get Austin and Dez some big plays. i hope Romo's ribs are okay because he might need to scramble a time or two up field

Negative. It's going to be on Witten's shoulders as usual. Philly has perennially sucked at covering tight ends and their linebacking corps is just as bad as its been in the past. Same with the screen pass.

SaltwaterServr

Blank Paper Offends Me
Reaction score
The30YardSlant;4201110 said:
The only thing that scares me about this game is Reid's undefeated record after the bye.

6 straight wins.

24-0

Never lost a first round playoff game.

34-14.

Both of these things were insurmountable omens that showed Dallas was going up against a far superior team and coaching staff at the end of 2009.

The30YardSlant

Benched
Reaction score
SaltwaterServr;4201112 said:
6 straight wins.

24-0

Never lost a first round playoff game.

34-14.

Both of these things were insurmountable omens that showed Dallas was going up against a far superior team and coaching staff at the end of 2009.

12-0 after a bye speaks to a remarkable level of focus and preparation though. It doesnt mean they will win, just a cause for concern IMO.

DL23

Reaction score
SaltwaterServr;4201109 said:
Negative. It's going to be on Witten's shoulders as usual. Philly has perennially sucked at covering tight ends and their linebacking corps is just as bad as its been in the past. Same with the screen pass.

I anticipate they will play Witten the way they played Vernon Davis. They'll put Nnamdi on him when in the nickel and let DRC play outside. DRC and Asante are top-tier cover guys, but they're probably the least 2 physical defensive backs in the league. Austin and Bryant on the other hand are two of the more physical receivers in the league. I expect Tony will throw the ball up and give our guys a chance to go get it. Two things can happen. A) Dez and Miles simply over-power Asante and DRC and make the play or B) DRC and Asante (who are both ball-hawks) come down with the interception. I guess it all depends on which Tony Romo we get that day.

SaltwaterServr

Blank Paper Offends Me
Reaction score
The30YardSlant;4201122 said:
12-0 after a bye speaks to a remarkable level of focus and preparation though. It doesnt mean they will win, just a cause for concern IMO.

Let's take a look at that and maybe see if it isn't a product of scheduling. The list below is their opponent following the bye week and that opponent's final season record.

2010 Home - Indy, 10-6

2009 Home - Tampa Bay 3-13

2008 Home - Atlanta 11-5

2007 Away - NYJ - 4-12

2006 Home - Wash - 5-11

2005 Home - San Diego - 9-7

2004 Home - Carolina - 7-9

2003 Away - Buffalo - 6-10

2002 Home - Tampa Bay - 12-4

2001 Away - NYG - 7-9

2000 Home - Cinci 4-12 (week 16 bye???)

1999 Home - St. Louis, 13-3 (week 16 bye)

1998 Home, blown out by Dallas, 34-0.

12 wins, 7 against teams with a losing record. That 1999 game sure looks like it could've been St. Louis resting its starters for the playoffs.

They've played some good teams as well, but three of the last five years with three cupcakes hasn't hurt their ability to maintain the streak.