1 Week Out! Great, Good and Bad picks at 24

J-man

Reaction score
Man Newton and Wiggins as bad picks? Interesting.
I keep hearing far too much about Newton being "lazy". He's a beast for sure, when he wants to be, but he apparently doesn't care very much so that's a big rd 1 red flag for me.
I just don't think Wiggins, or any 3rd best CB is worth us using our rd 1 pick on.

Don't get me wrong, I'd take either at 56 or later.

cnuball21

Reaction score
I keep hearing far too much about Newton being "lazy". He's a beast for sure, when he wants to be, but he apparently doesn't care very much so that's a big rd 1 red flag for me.
I just don't think Wiggins, or any 3rd best CB is worth us using our rd 1 pick on.

Every scouting report i’ve read has his work ethic and motor as a plus so not buying that.

NDGAEDE

Reaction score
Best possible scenario is someone falls. Ideally either TF guy--Fautanu or Fuaga--who would also fill a need.

I'd be most upset if our board is wiped out and we reach for the next best player because it is a position of need. Like we did with Taco years back.

I think my fav scenario would be grabbing a center first. I like Barton, JPJ, and Frazier all well enough to make an immediate impact. The LTs at our spot will be projects, more than likely worse than Tyler would be in 2024. Of the OTs, I like Kingsley and Morgan for different reasons, and hope that either would be acquired in a trade down.

speedkilz88

Reaction score

McGinn always has the worst stuff and there is nothing about him being lazy, on the contrary it says high motor. ESPN has a scout saying he still thinks he goes late first because the tape is so good. NFL.COM has non-stop motor, energizer bunny, outworks and outlasts.

2. JOHNNY NEWTON, Illinois (6-1 ½, 304, no 40, 1-2): Fourth-year senior, three-year starter mainly as a 3-technique. ”High motor,’ said one scout. “Lacks some length but compensates with good quickness, burst and power in both phases (run and pass). Has the physical tools to disrupt and see the field early. Just the size holds you back, but he doesn’t necessarily play to that. He’ll be a solid starter.” Arms were 32 3/8, hands were 9 ½. “He can really use his hands,” a second scout said. “His hands and feet are tied together, particularly as a rusher. He’s a little stiff and not real big, but he has a knack for rushing the passer.” Finished with 187 tackles (28 for loss) and 17 ½ sacks. “If you put him in a penetrating scheme he can change the line of scrimmage,” said a third scout. “He can play square and two-gap equally good. All 32 teams looking for a defensive lineman will find this guy as a fit. He absolutely has quickness and athleticism. He’s very, very strong at the point, and he can find the football where some guys don’t make any plays. Jordan Davis, the Georgia kid, didn’t make any plays.” Played hurt down the stretch in 2023 and underwent surgery on his foot in January. “It’s the infamous Jones fracture,” said a fourth scout. “Fifth metatarsal is one of the worst injuries you can have coming out because it is so highly likely to reoccur. Our doctors would say take those guys off the board … He plays a style that’s a big man’s game. He can use extension, press, shed and get to the ball. He plays high pads. His shin angles and ankle stiffness really show up. He’s an awesome college football player whose game does not translate ideally to the NFL. I don’t think he’ll be a failure because he’s instinctive and knows how to play the game.” From St. Petersburg, Fla.
- Illinois defensive tackle Jer'Zhan Newton had his pro day workout for scouts on Tuesday. He only participated in positional drills, but this was the first time Newton took the field since Illinois' season finale against Northwestern. "He looked really good considering he's fresh off of surgery a few months ago [in January]," said an NFC area scout who was in attendance. "I still believe he goes in the back end of Round 1 because the tape is too good." Texas' Byron Murphy II is still expected to be the first interior defender off the board, but with many teams searching for help inside, Newton could still find himself getting picked on Day 1. He ended at No. 25 on my board.
5. Jer'Zhan Newton DT Illinois
There is always a place in the league for talented interior defenders with non-stop motors. Newton is the Energizer Bunny at the point of attack, and he has a combination of skills that enable him to win with force or finesse. He outworks and outlasts opponents at the line of scrimmage, producing sacks and splash plays on extra-effort attempts in the backfield.

Last edited: