$10 bucks says Leinart plays in the NFL this year...

Danny White

Winter is Coming
Reaction score
I'm not one to usually jump to the "supplemental draft" conclusion, but this sounds like a guy with serious second thoughts running through his mind.

From the sound of these quotes I wouldn't be shocked at all if he declared for the Supplemental Draft.

LA Times

February 8, 2005

USC offensive coordinator Norm Chow has been offered a similar job with the Tennessee Titans and could accept the offer from the NFL team as soon as today, a source close to the situation said Monday.

"He's as gone as yesterday," the source said.

On a day that offensive line coach Tim Davis informed Coach Pete Carroll and players that he was leaving to take a similar position with the Miami Dolphins, Chow declined to say whether Titan Coach Jeff Fisher had offered him the team's offensive coordinator's job.

But Chow, 58, has been regarded as the leading candidate for the position ever since Mike Heimerdinger left the Titans to become offensive coordinator for the New York Jets.

Chow, who interviewed with Fisher and team officials in Nashville on Friday, received an offer from Fisher that could be in the range of $1 million annually, which is at least double the salary that Chow earns as one of the highest paid assistants in college football.

As he left campus in the early afternoon Monday, Chow said his situation would be resolved in "the next day or two."

"We'll just have to see what happens," Chow said.

Trojan quarterback Matt Leinart, who was scheduled to meet with Chow Monday, said the possibility of Chow's leaving was "definitely upsetting."

Last month, Leinart decided to forgo a chance to enter the NFL draft and announced he would return for a fifth and final season of eligibility. The Heisman Trophy winner's decision bolstered the Trojans' chances of winning a third consecutive national championship.

"It was kind of inevitable it was going to happen the last couple years," Leinart said of Chow's possible departure. "It's just, now, I decided to come back for my fifth year. But I still have no regrets regardless of what he does."

Leinart, who had elbow surgery two weeks ago, said the loss of quarterbacks coach Carl Smith — now the offensive coordinator for the Jacksonville Jaguars — and Chow would put him in "a tough position."

Asked if he would have returned for his final season of eligibility if he had known that Chow might not be in the fold, Leinart said, "Obviously, it would have changed my thought process. In all honesty, I didn't really want to play for a new guy coming in.

"If I had known he would be gone for sure, it definitely would have changed my thought process a lot. I don't know if would still have left or still stayed. I don't know that and, obviously, I never will. But I know it would have [affected] my decision."

Four members of USC's staff — Davis, Smith, defensive line coach Ed Orgeron and special teams graduate assistant Dennis Slutak — have left for other jobs since the Trojans routed Oklahoma in the Orange Bowl.

"The challenge is to replace guys that are championship caliber but I'm prepared to do it," Carroll said. "I'm always expecting that you might have to do this."

If Chow leaves, Lane Kiffin and Steve Sarkisian could be named co-offensive coordinators. Kiffin, 29, coached USC receivers the last two seasons and was named recruiting coordinator by Carroll last week. Sarkisian, 30, played for Chow at BYU and was USC's quarterbacks coach in 2002 and 2003 before joining the Oakland Raiders' staff before last season.

Davis, 46, interviewed with the Dolphins on Friday in Miami. Carroll made a counteroffer that Davis pondered over the weekend before deciding on Monday to pursue the NFL opportunity.

"I couldn't sleep a wink," Davis said. "I just said, 'Let's go.' I talked to Norm and talked to Pete. It's a good opportunity — that crack in your life when you've got to go."

Carroll said he wished Davis well.

"I hate to see him go," said Carroll, who hired Davis before the 2002 season. "He's been an awesome part of our program and a big reason for us winning with all the development of the young kids. It's a big loss, but I couldn't be more happy for him."

Offensive tackle Sam Baker said it would be hard to replace Davis' fiery attitude and intensity, especially on the practice field. "You can't find a guy like coach Davis everywhere," Baker said.

Derinyar

Reaction score
Danny White said:
I'm not one to usually jump to the "supplemental draft" conclusion, but this sounds like a guy with serious second thoughts running through his mind.

From the sound of these quotes I wouldn't be shocked at all if he declared for the Supplemental Draft.
Could happen. If it does the question is which team worse than us decides to give up its #1 next year.

Paniolo22

Hawaiian Cowboy
Reaction score
San Fran, Cleveland, Miami, Washington, and all the other teams with a crappy QB.

Avery

The Dog that Saved Charleston
Reaction score
I don't feel bad for Leinart one bit.

USC are back to back national champions. Coaches are going to be offered the chance for promotion left and right. This is something he should expect to happen and it should have weighed heavily into his thought process a month ago.

That elbow surgery is going to limit him for months to come. I don't see him declaring anytime soon.

BigWillie

Reaction score
Danny, where/when can I get that 10 bucks? ;)

If Norm Chow ends up with the Titans, I am 100% happy for him. After he and Lane Kiffin (Monte Kiffin's son) got into an argument during practice the week of the Orange Bowl and Carroll decided to side with his golden boy, instead of the man who re-invented that teams offense, I cannot blame him.

I honestly believe that without Norm Chow, USC wouldn't be back up atop the mountain in college football and it's way past due for the guy to get some type of promotion even though it's a little late in his career which is unfortunate.

k19

Reaction score
I doubt he does because he I dont think he would get the same financial rewards as if he waited to go in the regular draft.

I'm sure he's thrilled with the fact he came back in part to work with a staff who is not going to be there. Man did they ever stick it to him :D

Danny White

Winter is Coming
Reaction score
K19 said:
I doubt he does because he I dont think he would get the same financial rewards as if he waited to go in the regular draft.

I'm sure he's thrilled with the fact he came back in part to work with a staff who is not going to be there. Man did they ever stick it to him :D

What's going to happen to his "financial rewards" if he goes 10-3 next year, plays in the Holiday Bowl and has a 2-1 TD/INT ratio? (Not that that's what will happen, but it is possible if the program takes a slide).

He should have already taken his shot... everyone knew that, and now he knows it as well. The guy was on the top of the mountain. A sure fire top-10 pick, if not a sure fire #1 overall.

If he has an average year next year, he'll go somewhere in the Kyle Orton range... late 2nd, mid 3rd. In fact, I'd bet that if they lose even one game and don't make National Championship again next year, he falls out of the first round.

If he goes supplemental this year, he can demand a contract equal to whatever Aaron Rodgers and Alex Smith get. He might lose out a bit if he goes that route, but if he plays next year and isn't perfect, he'll lose a lot more.

He made a dumb decision, and he should jump at the chance to fix it, using this Chow thing as an excuse. I mean look at it... he has to duplicate last year's magic, perfect season. He has to stay healthy and win every game... this while having his form and style analyzed even more carefully than it was this year.

k19

Reaction score
you and I both know that DW. We had the same discussion after he beat our Sooners for the national championship.

Like we said before......
What If he stays and has a bad year
What if he suffers a career ending injury

To go back and say he should have is a mute point at this time.

The money was there for the taking and he letg it pass him by. I think we both agree that whatever the outcome of his decision, good or bad, he has no one to blame but himself.