10 Car Design Duds

CowboyMcCoy

Business is a Boomin
Reaction score
When writing about Nissan's Murano CrossCabriolet recently, I was reminded how difficult it is to create a new automotive concept -- and how harshly the market treats original ideas. The CrossCabrio is the ambitious -- or perhaps foolhardy -- attempt to create a crossover with a convertible top.Bright ideas are hard to pull off

http://autos.yahoo.com/news/10-auto-design-duds.html?page=1

kmp77

Reaction score
1-9 should be this ugly hunk of junk:

pontiac_aztec1.jpg

CowboyMcCoy

Business is a Boomin
Reaction score
In around 1999, I sold a Plymouth Prowler for 60K and it was the worst riding car I'd ever driven. The guy loved the car though, and we only had one, so it was sort fun sale because he was a car enthusiast....

SaltwaterServr

Blank Paper Offends Me
Reaction score
CowboyMcCoy;4054435 said:
The Ford Excursion, aka the Ford Valdez, we'd say. :laugh2:

Don't laugh, but my next vehicle is going to be an H1. Friend just picked one up and I fell in love driving it. It ignores all speed bumps and eats Smart Cars for breakfast. With an aftermarket chip set and conversion from full time 4x, it'll get 22 on the highway.

CowboyMcCoy

Business is a Boomin
Reaction score
cowboyeric8;4054449 said:
I thought the SSR was a cool car. Maybe that's just me.

Yeah, I like the Baja. But the plastic does sorta suck and the bed really isn't very practical. The prowler, although not a success, was still cool and more of a collector, Sunday driving car anyway.

Kangaroo

Reaction score
CowboyMcCoy;4054425 said:
When writing about Nissan's Murano CrossCabriolet recently, I was reminded how difficult it is to create a new automotive concept -- and how harshly the market treats original ideas. The CrossCabrio is the ambitious -- or perhaps foolhardy -- attempt to create a crossover with a convertible top.Bright ideas are hard to pull off

http://autos.yahoo.com/news/10-auto-design-duds.html?page=1

Part of the problem with some of the ideas is that the implementation was terrible.

The Baja we see this in the Avalanche and several other trucks now

A lot of those the execution of the idea was terrible not all them just quite a few.

The prowler love the way it looks

YosemiteSam

Unfriendly and Aloof!
Reaction score
kmp77;4054429 said:

pontiac_aztec1.jpg

That is the Aztek right? I can't figure out why anyone would buy one of those.

Or the Ford Flex, Scion xB, and Honda Crosstour. The Nissan Cube is straight out of a goofy Pixar movie.

The BMW X6 are kind of ugly too. They probably wouldn't be so bad if they weren't so large.

TheCount

Pixel Pusher
Reaction score
SaltwaterServr;4054441 said:
Don't laugh, but my next vehicle is going to be an H1. Friend just picked one up and I fell in love driving it. It ignores all speed bumps and eats Smart Cars for breakfast. With an aftermarket chip set and conversion from full time 4x, it'll get 22 on the highway.

Don't do it! :laugh2:

I always chuckle when I see people still stuck with their Hummers these days, they always look upset about something.

But I live and work in New York City, where it's just an insanely impractical car. If I lived in the sticks, I'd probably consider it as well. And I'm 6'7", so I appreciate a bigger car.

SaltwaterServr

Blank Paper Offends Me
Reaction score
TheCount;4054659 said:
Don't do it! :laugh2:

I always chuckle when I see people still stuck with their Hummers these days, they always look upset about something.

But I live and work in New York City, where it's just an insanely impractical car. If I lived in the sticks, I'd probably consider it as well. And I'm 6'7", so I appreciate a bigger car.

They're upset at all the itty bitty annoying cars in their way. ;)

I'm not talking about getting one of those soccer mom H2 or H3 jobs built on a Suburban frame, but the original HMMMV civilian version.

This:

Hummer_H1.jpg

NOT this:

Hummer_H2_Geiger.jpg

trickblue

Not Old School...Old Testament...
Reaction score
Teren_Kanan;4055704 said:
I see Prowlers ALL the time here in Florida.

I haven't seen one in a few years here in Texas...

I love the design, too bad Plymouth blew the chance to make it a high performance gem. It had the bad-*** looks in the class of the Viper with the performance of a PT Cruiser...

trickblue

Not Old School...Old Testament...
Reaction score
kmp77;4054429 said:

Obviously inspired by the Wagon Queen Family Truckster from the movie "Vacation"...

family-truckster.jpg

Kevinicus

Reaction score
kmp77;4054429 said:

pontiac_aztec1.jpg

I'll take that any day over the fugliness of a PT Cruiser. Particularly one with panels like in the post above this one.

LeonDixson

Illegitimi non carborundum
Reaction score
trickblue;4055849 said:
I haven't seen one in a few years here in Texas...

I love the design, too bad Plymouth blew the chance to make it a high performance gem. It had the bad-*** looks in the class of the Viper with the performance of a PT Cruiser...
I agree. I always thought they missed a real opportunity. Put a performance suspension and a more powerful/heavy engine and it could have been a winner.