big dog cowboy

THE BIG DOG
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
10 Musicians Whose Stock Rose After Death

One More Time For The Record
By Daniel Bukszpan

At the time of Michael Jackson’s death, his career was in decline. The last album released during his lifetime was 2001’s Invincible, which was regarded as a commercial failure.

However, his 2009 death made him a commercially viable entity all over again, and on December 14, 2010, his posthumous album Michael was released, and sold 224,910 copies in its first week.

The King of Pop is not the first musician to have vastly improved album sales after leaving us. In fact, sometimes an album released after an artist’s death is the biggest seller of his career.

1. John Lennon
2. Johnny Cash
3. The Allman Brothers Band
4. Roy Orbison
5. Ray Charles
6. Selena
7. Sublime
8. Janis Joplin
9. Nirvana
10. The Notorious B.I.G.

Read more: http://www.cnbc.com/id/40829697

ZeroClub

just trying to get better
Reaction score
Heard a Jim Croce song earlier today in the grocery store.

MetalHead

Benched
Reaction score
If Notorious BIG can be categorized as a musician,then I can be categorized as a boxing welter weigh champion of the world.

SaltwaterServr

Blank Paper Offends Me
Reaction score
pupulehaole;3834996 said:
Bob Marley

FTW. :thumbup:

The only reason Michael Jackson's stock rose is that the world conveniently forgot that he was a child molester, hence, his career's decline in the first place. Not to mention the media blitz we were forced to abide on every conceivable channel from the time of his death until his taxpayer funded $4 million dollar funeral. Ironic that this thread was started the day before a rapist leads his team into the Super Bowl.

MarionBarberThe4th

Reaction score
MetalHead;3834767 said:
If Notorious BIG can be categorized as a musician,then I can be categorized as a boxing welter weigh champion of the world.

He makes songs

SaltwaterServr;3835002 said:
FTW. :thumbup:

The only reason Michael Jackson's stock rose is that the world conveniently forgot that he was a child molester, hence, his career's decline in the first place. Not to mention the media blitz we were forced to abide on every conceivable channel from the time of his death until his taxpayer funded $4 million dollar funeral. Ironic that this thread was started the day before a rapist leads his team into the Super Bowl.

Not enough details in that case

SkinsandTerps

Commanders Forever
Reaction score
Should be titled ten "other"....

Hendrix has to be the biggest besides Jackson though. With Elvis right there beside him.

Illini88228

Reaction score
Robert Johnson went from being basically unknown during his life to being probably the most influential guitar player of all time after his death. That should count for something.

trickblue

Not Old School...Old Testament...
Reaction score
big dog cowboy;3834395 said:
10 Musicians Whose Stock Rose After Death

One More Time For The Record
By Daniel Bukszpan

At the time of Michael Jackson’s death, his career was in decline. The last album released during his lifetime was 2001’s Invincible, which was regarded as a commercial failure.

However, his 2009 death made him a commercially viable entity all over again, and on December 14, 2010, his posthumous album Michael was released, and sold 224,910 copies in its first week.

The King of Pop is not the first musician to have vastly improved album sales after leaving us. In fact, sometimes an album released after an artist’s death is the biggest seller of his career.

1. John Lennon
2. Johnny Cash
3. The Allman Brothers Band
4. Roy Orbison
5. Ray Charles
6. Selena
7. Sublime
8. Janis Joplin
9. Nirvana
10. The Notorious B.I.G.

Read more: http://www.cnbc.com/id/40829697

Johnny Cash's "stock" didn't rise after his death... his stock was top notch for 40 years. He was a legend LONG before he died...

Lennon was a Beatle... his stock was always gonna be high, although you could make a case for him...

Orbison, Charles and Joplin were already legends no matter what...

Selena and Cobain should top that list...

Brad Nowell (Sublime) shouldn't even sniff the list...

urface59

Reaction score
MetalHead;3835589 said:
He's no musician.Not even a singer.

I generally hate rap but come one, Biggie is freakin awesome.

tumblr_l7al5v8eAL1qa6vx8o1_500.jpg

StanleySpadowski

Reaction score
Hendrix - wasn't really that popular until after death

Jim Morrison - Death made him a superstar

Janis Joplin - another helped by the Kennedy effect

Cobain - became the "star" of that generation...would be Eddie Vedder today if he was lucky

YosemiteSam

Unfriendly and Aloof!
Reaction score
pupulehaole;3834996 said:
Bob Marley

I'm not sure Bob Marley's stock could get any *higher* after his death than what it was when he was alive. :muttley: