10 Things I Think, I Think, About the 2021 Draft & The Cowboys

jay94

Reaction score
Like your list, besides drafting a rb in round 2. I hope we don't draft a rb in the first two rounds ever again.

big dog cowboy

THE BIG DOG
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Zeke has lost a step an his explosiveness he had as a rookie. Now he cost to much and is dependent on all pro OL to be successful. RB have a shelf life of 3-4 years. Time to find his replacement. I’m taking Najee Harris all day and everyday if he is there in round 2. Cowboys are best when they run the ball and control the clock. And Zeke can’t do that anymore.
There isn't anything the Cowboys can do about his contract. So no need to draft his replacement until then. Spend the draft pick on defense and try to make the team better. The Cowboys are best when they can field a respectable defense. Spending a 2nd rounder on a RB that will ride the bench doesn't help the defense or team any.

morasp

Reaction score
1.) Slater can play LT at a high level, his arms are only a quarter inch shorter than Sewell's and neither has the preferred 34" arm length.
2.) They absolutely can get players all through the draft that could make the final 53 with the potential to become starters.
3.) After round 3 getting a player with a starting grade would be very difficult.
4.) If a starter falls in round three consider using the round 4 comp pick to move up and get him. Otherwise draft players you never know who will be the next Dak or Wilson.
5.) You can get 2 down and short yardage run stuffers on day 3.
6.) On defense get some ballhawks in the secondary and upgrade the pass rush especially on the interior.

Einstein

Reaction score
A couple of questions... who is more of a playmaker at CB Surtain, Horn, or Farley? And, how can you not be a fan of a player on your team? One of my least favorite players of all time was Vinny Testaverde, but when he played for the Cowboys I had to be a fan of the guy because he was on my team... I don't get it.

Einstein

Reaction score
Oh, and if Barmore is the best DT in the draft like I've read, I can't see him getting to round 2.

Frosty

Bigdog24
Reaction score
There isn't anything the Cowboys can do about his contract. So no need to draft his replacement until then. Spend the draft pick on defense and try to make the team better. The Cowboys are best when they can field a respectable defense. Spending a 2nd rounder on a RB that will ride the bench doesn't help the defense or team any.

Agreed, but I am a bit biased on Najee Harris. He is one of my pet cats in this draft. Think he would be a steal in the 2nd and be awesome with DAK and this OL. Kinda like Zeke USED to be....lol.

Zeke got paid and checked out.....Najee Harris is a monster RB, that can take over a game.....in contrast Zeke is tapping out and giving T. Pollard more playing time....

Frosty

Bigdog24
Reaction score
Oh, and if Barmore is the best DT in the draft like I've read, I can't see him getting to round 2.

You may be right, but there is a lot of draft chatter starting to say there may not be a DT drafted in the 1st round this year. It could be all smoke and mirrors and I would be excited to see Barmore a Cowboy

LACowboysFan1

Reaction score
Meh.

At one you say get a playmaker....at 9 you say stay focused on protecting Zak. Slater does just that....or Sewell if somehow he slips.

Surtain had 4 interceptions in 3 years...not exactly a proven playmaker.

The more you trade back, the less likely you are to get a "playmaker" and it is a slippery slope. Trade back for Horn...and he could be gone. Trade back and take so and so....but maybe he isn't there either. So you reach like we have done so many times.

Agree no injury prone players in Rd 1, but....a RB? Are you out of your mind? We have Zeke and Pollard. Nobody we draft is going to be any better than those two. Would be 100% wasted pick. If we release Zeke next year, then use a 2nd or 3rd on a RB then. The heck with overpriced RBs when mid rounders can do the job.

You say no one past round 3 will do anything, then say to get playmakers. Uh, in the later rounds you generally get role players and special teams guys. Are you new to this football thing?

You may be right on McClay, we have done a better job on that side, but I think there is somewhat of a disconnect between scouting and coaches/GM. We have heard that before that Jerry often steers the pick in a certain direction regardless of how the scout's board looks. In the past we feel pretty confident that asst coaches are making pushes for particular guys as their pet cats and it hasn't really worked out. Stick to the board and our needs and don't try to show that you are smarter than everyone else.

On Surtain, have to look deeper than just the raw numbers. Why did he not have more ints? Maybe he was so good teams didn't throw his way that much? Maybe his int chances were when the play was very deep in Alabama territory, and just knocking the ball down was a better play than having the ball on their own 5 yard line. Just checking on Mel Renfro's numbers at Dallas, 4 ints in 1971, only 1 in 1972. Did his play drop off big time? No, other factors came into play.

I'm not too concerned with the low int numbers, have to evaluate the player in all criteria, not just ints...

LACowboysFan1

Reaction score
You may be right, but there is a lot of draft chatter starting to say there may not be a DT drafted in the 1st round this year. It could be all smoke and mirrors and I would be excited to see Barmore a Cowboy

Don't think it's likely, but I could see Barmore being around at 44. And I'd grab him pronto there...

DuncanIso

Reaction score
TEN THINGS I THINK I THINK ABOUT THE 2021 DRAFT AND THE COWBOYS

1. At Pick 10, the Cowboys need a play maker. Patrick Surtain, P. Sewell or Pitts. (Slater Arms are too short for LT, best suited for OG or RT)

2. If no play maker is on the board at pick 10, trade back to 11-15 for Horn

3. If Horn is not available, trade deeper in the draft 15-20 for LT or LBer (target Christian Darrisaw, Teven Jenkins or Zach Collins)

4. Stay away from Injury Prone players in the 1st round, IE CB: Greg Newsome & Caleb Farley

5. Round 2, look for DT (C. Barmore) or Safety (Grant) but if Najee Harris or Travis Etienne are on the board, I pull the trigger and put Zeke on notice

6. Round 3 take the best CB, S, DT or OT on the board…no JAG/Role players

7. Chances are no-one beyond round round 4 will make the starting lineup (practice squad players)

8. No More role players…..the defense needs play makers

9. Stay focused on protecting DAK

10. I have more faith in Will McLay drafting offense then defensive players

Bonus: Don’t forget how BAD the Cowboys were last year….they need PLAYMAKERS not
role players

Just take the best OT with the pick. There are several available.

DuncanIso

Reaction score
I truly believe the Cowboys are hoping Sewell slides to ten. He's the long-term replacement for Tyron Smith. They can play him at RT as a rookie and kick La'el Collins back inside to guard temporarily.

If Sewell is gone they're trading down. I don't know how the points system works for draft choices, but if they drop down to the Bears' spot at 20 I believe they can get Chicago's second round pick and perhaps a 2022 choice as well.

Then if they want to get really creative, they can exploit the fact they'll have two 2nds and two 3rds and possibly trade back up to end up with two 1sts as well. Take a defender at any position (they need help everywhere) and an offensive tackle and I'll consider it a success.

If Collins continues to slide, he will be cut after 2021.

He's due 10 million per year in base after 2021.

not happening.

DuncanIso

Reaction score
Zeke has lost a step an his explosiveness he had as a rookie. Now he cost to much and is dependent on all pro OL to be successful. RB have a shelf life of 3-4 years. Time to find his replacement. I’m taking Najee Harris all day and everyday if he is there in round 2. Cowboys are best when they run the ball and control the clock. And Zeke can’t do that anymore.

Zeke is here for at least 2 seasons.

If they dont fix the OL, it wont matter who the RB is.

Even Pollard's numbers were down.

DuncanIso

Reaction score
With the money invested in both Dak and Zeke, the Cowboys need to address the offensive line sometime in the first three rounds of the draft. I don't care when- if they get Sewell next week, I'd be very happy.

I'm all for going defense the rest of the draft; though I'm kind of hoping Dan Quinn can work wonders with what we already have. So many players fell off a cliff performance wise in 2020 it almost HAD to be Mike Nolan's scheme.

Odd so many people want to draft a DB in the 1st. Dallas is set on Brown, Lewis, and Diggs as the top 3. Anyone we draft is going to be in the Nick/Dime packages this year.

OL has to be fixed. The RT is unstable. We might get 2-3 seasons out of TSmith.

Speaking of Nolan, was anyone really surprised? That hire was a disaster from day 1.

They basically let KRichard walk so big Mike could hire his buddy.

Getting Quinn was a win though. If you cant get KRichard back, get the next best thing.

Jake

Beyond tired of Jerry
Reaction score
7. Chances are no-one beyond round round 4 will make the starting lineup (practice squad players)

That mentality has been born by the Cowboys inability to find players later in the draft, coupled with the annual overvaluation of our current roster.

NFL teams find players in later rounds every year. Why can't Dallas?

kskboys

Reaction score
That mentality has been born by the Cowboys inability to find players later in the draft, coupled with the annual overvaluation of our current roster.

NFL teams find players in later rounds every year. Why can't Dallas?
Because we have no idea what lateral agility and burst even mean.

kskboys

Reaction score
Who's saying that?

Barmore was a limited snaps guy at ALA. I'd take Nixon over him.

DeaconMoss

Reaction score
TEN THINGS I THINK I THINK ABOUT THE 2021 DRAFT AND THE COWBOYS

5. Round 2, look for DT (C. Barmore) or Safety (Grant) but if Najee Harris or Travis Etienne are on the board, I pull the trigger and put Zeke on notice

Jovonte Williams is the best back in this draft. And I will go further to say he is the best back in the 20, 21, and 22 drafts. And he has low mileage on the tires. Kid is going to be a superstar. I would love to have have him. Unfortunate the team committed so much capital to Zeke.