10 things I think I think freshly eliminated edition

Echo9

Erik_H
Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
First as always thanks for the interaction. When I do these I expect exactly 0 people to agree with all 10 of my random but very specific thoughts. Some of these things I may not agree with myself in 24 hours.

Various comments across many threads.

I'd prefer to go DT round 1 if it lines up because there may only be two starting grade DT3s in this draft and couple NT. CB seems a legit fit at 10 and I'd probably mock Dallas there if no DT had top 15 value.
When you do those addicting but largely pointless draft simulators it lines up pretty sexy to go:
DT at 10 --say Nixon
CB at 42: Asante Samuels Jr for instance
Safety at R3: I went Trevon Moehrig
LB in R3Como: Charles Snowden
OT in R4: Walker Little
Edge in R4Comp: Shaka Toney
LB in R5: Ventrell Miller (Will)
et al....

FWIW DT is tough because I think they are among the slowest to get grades handed out.
Alim McNeill is the best NT prospect for most and you can steal him R3 on most mock boards but come real draft I think he'll go about 50.

Like others I'd be perfectly fine throwing away the LB corps and starting over. but if you look at what all we need and what all assets we have to use I'm making that a 2 year job and padding my LB depth without making a massive swing on a LB that is a day 1 stud. Fix a lot of the things around them than see what the LB corps looks like IMO. LVE and Jaylon are both probably on 1 year make or break seasons. Not that anyone wants to hear that.
This thread gave me an itch to try a mock so I went to PFN. I traded down to 15 (getting 46) and only did 4 rounds. Ended up with this. Maybe PFN has crazy rankings, but I'm ok with this

15. Jaycee Horn CB South Carolina
44. Nick Bolton LB Missouri
46. Daviyon Nixon DT Iowa
75. Alim McNeill DT North Carolina State
105.Talanoa Hufanga S USC

ChuckA1

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
This thread gave me an itch to try a mock so I went to PFN. I traded down to 15 (getting 46) and only did 4 rounds. Ended up with this. Maybe PFN has crazy rankings, but I'm ok with this

15. Jaycee Horn CB South Carolina
44. Nick Bolton LB Missouri
46. Daviyon Nixon DT Iowa
75. Alim McNeill DT North Carolina State
105.Talanoa Hufanga S USC
These first four picks are pretty good. I'd take it!

CWR

Reaction score
LB's are very dependent on the the team surrounding them.
To think they are the guys that control the D despite everything else is folly.

Do you think the rest of the defense is that much worse off than 2018? I can go with you a ways, but these guys popped at one point. Jaylon is often a liability and LVE isn't the ball hawking game changer we saw in 2018.

Pantone282C

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Do you think the rest of the defense is that much worse off than 2018? I can go with you a ways, but these guys popped at one point. Jaylon is often a liability and LVE isn't the ball hawking game changer we saw in 2018.
2018 was a near awakening for the D
It has all gone sideways since then.

Reactions: CWR

Corso

Offseason mode... sleepy time
Reaction score
I do think it's a combo of LB injuries and a sad case of Jaylon and the D around them.

Reactions: CWR

foofighters

Reaction score
1. I think I think that I'd rather pick 10th then have put on the head tucked between knees performance the Eagles did week 17.

2. I think I think draft boards are going to change a lot in the next month or two. A guy I really think fits Dallas is Daviyon Nixon, DT Iowa. He's an attacking 3T type guy who was an All-American and the Big 10 D player of the year but came out of no where with only 1 season as a starter. But he had quite a year with 5.5 sacks and 13,.5 tackles for loss as an interior DL. If he tests well he could be rated top 15 and be DT1 on most boards.

3. I think I think Dallas has to rehabilitate some of these guys as you can't replace 50% of your roster ion 1 off-season. Even if there was ample cap space it'd be nearly impossible to turn it all over that quick unless you want to look as lost as this team on defense early in the year.

4. I think I think MM made some head-scratching in game mgmt calls for a SB winning Coach but I know he also at least brought something different and at times that nonsense like smashing watermelons works and beats just clapping.

5. I think I think this draft season should be really good to Dallas. With a heavy allotment of comp picks and picking top 3rd of the rounds you should expect a healthy does of help out of this draft. Given what they did last year picking 6 slots lower and with about 75% as many picks you gotta feel pretty good.

6. I think I think March can't get here quickly enough as so much, from cap totals to who we resign will be up the air and just speculation.

7. I think I think I'd have Dak hobble into a press conference by the end of the week to sign his extension. I want his cap savings versus a full tag price to go shopping.

8. I think I think I'd be willing to pass OT at pick 10 because Zack Martin is probably a better tackle than whomever we could draft there. And the Connors can play OG in tandem if Zack is needed at OT.

9. I think I think I need to draft LB and RB in that 4-5 area because even if they don't start next year they can develop in our systems and save me a lot of money in a couple seasons.

10. I think I think I need to explain to anyone suggesting we draft Kyle Pitts how that whole team 40 burgers stuff worked out in 2020. And just how poor a blocking team you'd field with 3WR and Pitts in a game together.
Good points but Jerry's picking Rondale Moore. You heard it here first.

TheBigEasy

Reaction score
2. I think I think draft boards are going to change a lot in the next month or two. A guy I really think fits Dallas is Daviyon Nixon, DT Iowa. He's an attacking 3T type guy who was an All-American and the Big 10 D player of the year but came out of no where with only 1 season as a starter. But he had quite a year with 5.5 sacks and 13,.5 tackles for loss as an interior DL. If he tests well he could be rated top 15 and be DT1 on most boards.

I love it when a so called '3-Star' guy in high school is picked in the top 10 of the NFL Draft and becomes a stud a few years later. Where's Mr. Star Giver then? :D

CWR

Reaction score
I do think it's a combo of LB injuries and a sad case of Jaylon and the D around them.

I think with better DT and safety play our LB play will improve. It's hard for me to look at an entire season and call it a fluke. There is a formula that they excel with, we just don't have it now. Maybe Jaylon should be attacking instead of reacting, and guessing wrong? Can you imagine having a truly dynamic play maker at LB? We need one in the worst way.

Creeper

Reaction score
1. I think I think that I'd rather pick 10th then have put on the head tucked between knees performance the Eagles did week 17.

3. I think I think Dallas has to rehabilitate some of these guys as you can't replace 50% of your roster ion 1 off-season. Even if there was ample cap space it'd be nearly impossible to turn it all over that quick unless you want to look as lost as this team on defense early in the year.

4. I think I think MM made some head-scratching in game mgmt calls for a SB winning Coach but I know he also at least brought something different and at times that nonsense like smashing watermelons works and beats just clapping.

5. I think I think this draft season should be really good to Dallas. With a heavy allotment of comp picks and picking top 3rd of the rounds you should expect a healthy does of help out of this draft. Given what they did last year picking 6 slots lower and with about 75% as many picks you gotta feel pretty good.

6. I think I think March can't get here quickly enough as so much, from cap totals to who we resign will be up the air and just speculation.

7. I think I think I'd have Dak hobble into a press conference by the end of the week to sign his extension. I want his cap savings versus a full tag price to go shopping.

8. I think I think I'd be willing to pass OT at pick 10 because Zack Martin is probably a better tackle than whomever we could draft there. And the Connors can play OG in tandem if Zack is needed at OT.

9. I think I think I need to draft LB and RB in that 4-5 area because even if they don't start next year they can develop in our systems and save me a lot of money in a couple seasons.

10. I think I think I need to explain to anyone suggesting we draft Kyle Pitts how that whole team 40 burgers stuff worked out in 2020. And just how poor a blocking team you'd field with 3WR and Pitts in a game together.

1. I think there is a time to hold 'em and a time to fold 'em. Strategy is a long term plan. The Eagles were thinking of winning games in the future vs. pointless games in the present. I wish Dallas folded for the last game of 2019 for a higher draft pick.

2. I agree the draft boards are going to change quite a bit, but right now I do not see a DT in this draft worth taking in the top 10. I am sure a DT or two will climb the boards before April, but based on what? Be careful of agent hype and publicity. From everything I am seeing so far, players like Nixon could very well be available in round 2. I would love to find a dominant DT in the 1st round, but I would not want the Cowboys to force it.

3. I agree. I have lost all hope on Jaylon Smith, but I would give LVE another season to improve (although I would not pick up his option). I think Awuzie is worth a shot. I am sour on Brown right now. His last game was awful. But I am done with Woods and Lewis. The are free agents and I would not try to re-sign them. If Awuzie doesn't try to rob the Cowboys I would sign him. But I think Zwuzie will be the one to get all the attention in free agency.

4. Yes, MM was a big disappointment in this area. When they fired Garrett my feeling was regardless of who they hired it had to be an improvement over Garrett at least in game management. MM did not prove me right on that.

5. They have a lot of picks but I am concerned this is not a very strong draft class like 2020.

6. Agreed.

7. Agreed, and if he does not sign or continues to show an unwilling ness to come to some kind of agreement on a fair deal, then I would prepare to move on instead of dragging this out for another year.

8. If the Cowboys do not upgrade the RG position in the off-season I will be very disappointed. Maybe McGovern is the answer there. I certainly hope 2021 has an offseason and pre-season games so we can have a healthy competition at RG and see who wins.

9. I believe they get at least 1 3rd round comp pick so I am hoping the go CB, DT, S, LB in the first 3 rounds. Then they have to hit on another CB in the last 4 rounds. Or, take a safety and move Reggie Robinson back to CB. But I hope this draft nets 2 CB, 2 LBs, 2 DT and a safety at least. But I also agree they should look for a RB in this draft, and how about a legitimate FB? Is it time?

10. Bryan Broaddus is big on Kyle Pitts. I am kind of leaning with you, but if they draft Pitts and trade Cooper for another 2nd round pick? I would think that was a coup. Unload the big contract, add a game changing weapon on offense and get another high pick? Its the trifecta.

I would add, I think there is so much uncertainty about 2021 already. The health of the OL, Dak's willingness to sign a contract, the CAP, will there be a combine and if so how many players will participate? Will there be an offseason? What if a lot of players opt out of the combine? The senior bowl is scheduled, but will it actually be held or will they cancel it? If it is held, who will show up? This is a tough year to have to build a roster and prepare for the draft.

ChuckA1

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
So Creeper, you don’t think the DT from Iowa, Daviyon Nixon is worth consideration at #10? I don't know a thing about him, but he's been receiving some press lately. Pretty sure he's a 3T, not a 1T