10 thoughts on the Cowboys almost blowout, but then close-but-no-cigar loss to the Ravens

noshame

I'm not dead yet......
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
There is a base defense teams are using against Dakota Prescott. The 49ers introduced it 2 years ago in the playoffs, and the rest of the NFL is finally catching on.
The minute you see cornerbacks 10 yd plus off the ball and 5 to 6 guys rushing the passer. Y'all know teams are in that defense, and they stay in it. All game, long.
The ravens dropped out of that in the beginning of the fourth quarter and begin to use a prevent 4 man rush defense. The problem being their front for could not get pressure on deck, resulting in plenty of time to see and hit targets downfield. This is the way the ravens lost their last 2 games, yet they went and did the same thing last night.
Luckily, the giants don't have the personnel, so we should put up some serious points Thursday night
If you give Dak time in the pocket and room to set his feet, he can throw a ball as good as any other quarterback. Within his capabilities.
But then again so could Cooper Rush.
People blame our running backs, but it's the offensive line that gets confused and backs end up getting hit at the line of scrimmage. That can't happen.

Tim93gt

Reaction score
Garbage time is baloney. That was no Garbage time. The Ravens were still fighting because they knew the potential of our QB, WR and TE.
This. A Ravens team that has notoriously let games get away from them, so they were not playing prevent. I was at the game with the final TD being scored in the end zone in front of me. You could see from their alignments they were still very much playing.

Creeper

Reaction score
1. The run defensive game is absolutely putrid and is in an emergency state
2. Lamb played his worst NFL career game
3. Cooks and Ferguson got absolutely no separation, and Cooks doesn't seem to at any point, at least Ferg is coming of an injury.
4. The o-line did not do a great job blocking, starting to look like we whiffed again in the first round (very early I get it)
5. Turpin to me looks like the 2nd best receiver, if you ask me the most important thing, is to separate and he does that better then anyone not named Lamb
6. Mazi should not be on the field.
7. Diggs is not a good run defender at all
8. Dak missed quite a few throws being the highest paid player in the league.
9. Micah is a bit of a liability in the run game as well
10. Hey our punter and kicker duo is amazing.
11. Idgaf about the score we got destroyed. Ref's helped make it look way closer then it actually was.
I'll agree with most of this but not all of it. Ferguson made some good plays. I don't expect a TE to get 5 yards of separation.

Mazi was not as bad as you think. 3 solo tackles and he did a decent job of handling double teams. His job is to occupy blockers and keep the LBs clean. Mazi is getting better. The problems yesterday were on the DEs and outside contain guys. Lawrence and Parsons we both getting caught inside on the misdirection - every time Baltimore ran it. Just awful.

Diggs hasn't been great at pass coverage either.

Micah needs to be playing off the ball when it appears the other team will run. At the end of the game, the play where Lamar ran for a first down to seal the game, Micah was positioned as a down lineman. He was facing an offensive tackled and he got wiped out. It is a mismatch for him and asking him to p lay that role is stupid.

Yes, the Cowboys got a few breaks from the refs at the end. The roughing the passer call was ridiculous, but I have seen that called before this year. It must be another one of those points of emphasis the NFL comes up with every now and then.

Creeper

Reaction score
Despite the final score, the Cowboys were not really competitive on Sunday.
By Dan Rogers
Sep 22, 2024

The Dallas Cowboys disappointed the home crowd for the second week in a row after another dismal performance. They were bad on both sides of the ball and the Baltimore Ravens took control early en route to a 28-25 win that wasn’t as close as the score indicates. The Cowboys will need to look long and hard to figure out what plagues them as it’s been a while since we’ve seen them string together two straight terrible games of football. Here are 10 thoughts on the Cowboys lackluster performance on Sunday.

1. Overheightened confidence
2. Defense picked up right where they left off
3. Run-stopping struggles continue
4. Can’t tackle to save their life
5. Missed opportunity
6. Missed opportunity, part II
7. Why were things so hard?
8. Trying to do too much
9. Last gasp
10. There’s no place like home

https://www.bloggingtheboys.com/202...defense?utm_source=dlvr.it&utm_medium=twitter
This game should have been a blowout. The Ravens took their foot off the gas in the 4th quarter when they had a big lead. The Cowboys got some breaks from the refs, and managed to recover an onside kick under the new rules, which I thought would be impossible.

But with the score close, Baltimore when back to what worked for them early in the game and picked up the 2 first downs they needed to ice the game.

America's Cowboy

Reaction score
This. A Ravens team that has notoriously let games get away from them, so they were not playing prevent. I was at the game with the final TD being scored in the end zone in front of me. You could see from their alignments they were still very much playing.
Exactly what I saw on TV as well, but you can't say the truth around here without getting attacked by the majority pack of anti-Dakkers who love to parrot that line of made up accusation in order not to give Dak his due.

America's Cowboy

Reaction score
I'll agree with most of this but not all of it. Ferguson made some good plays. I don't expect a TE to get 5 yards of separation.

Mazi was not as bad as you think. 3 solo tackles and he did a decent job of handling double teams. His job is to occupy blockers and keep the LBs clean. Mazi is getting better. The problems yesterday were on the DEs and outside contain guys. Lawrence and Parsons we both getting caught inside on the misdirection - every time Baltimore ran it. Just awful.

Diggs hasn't been great at pass coverage either.

Micah needs to be playing off the ball when it appears the other team will run. At the end of the game, the play where Lamar ran for a first down to seal the game, Micah was positioned as a down lineman. He was facing an offensive tackled and he got wiped out. It is a mismatch for him and asking him to p lay that role is stupid.

Yes, the Cowboys got a few breaks from the refs at the end. The roughing the passer call was ridiculous, but I have seen that called before this year. It must be another one of those points of emphasis the NFL comes up with every now and then.
:hammer:

Brooksey

Reaction score
Garbage time is baloney. That was no Garbage time. The Ravens were still fighting because they knew the potential of our QB, WR and TE.
Baltimore was actually blitzing vs playing prevent defense. Dak played well in the 4th, the fumble from Lamb and a couple of missed throws in the first half resulted in turnovers on downs.

Dak and the defense need to play 4 quarters. The play calling was terrible, a lot of verticals that took a long time, it looked like Garrett's old offense.

Brooksey

Reaction score
1. The run defensive game is absolutely putrid and is in an emergency state
2. Lamb played his worst NFL career game
3. Cooks and Ferguson got absolutely no separation, and Cooks doesn't seem to at any point, at least Ferg is coming of an injury.
4. The o-line did not do a great job blocking, starting to look like we whiffed again in the first round (very early I get it)
5. Turpin to me looks like the 2nd best receiver, if you ask me the most important thing, is to separate and he does that better then anyone not named Lamb
6. Mazi should not be on the field.
7. Diggs is not a good run defender at all
8. Dak missed quite a few throws being the highest paid player in the league.
9. Micah is a bit of a liability in the run game as well
10. Hey our punter and kicker duo is amazing.
11. Idgaf about the score we got destroyed. Ref's helped make it look way closer then it actually was.
Guyton got beat on a rush for a sack but they had good push inside with Bebee/Martin, Dowdle lacks vision. The play calling was strange a lot of long developing vertical routes.
Mazi wasn't great but he was our best DT, Joseph was blown 5 yards off the ball.

Our D-end play was terrible. Micah and D-Law were killed with play action by Lamar in the first half Micah on the read option several times for big gains.
Once they stayed home and starting setting the edge, they were better

goshann

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
There is a base defense teams are using against Dakota Prescott. The 49ers introduced it 2 years ago in the playoffs, and the rest of the NFL is finally catching on.
The minute you see cornerbacks 10 yd plus off the ball and 5 to 6 guys rushing the passer. Y'all know teams are in that defense, and they stay in it. All game, long.
The ravens dropped out of that in the beginning of the fourth quarter and begin to use a prevent 4 man rush defense. The problem being their front for could not get pressure on deck, resulting in plenty of time to see and hit targets downfield. This is the way the ravens lost their last 2 games, yet they went and did the same thing last night.
Luckily, the giants don't have the personnel, so we should put up some serious points Thursday night
If you give Dak time in the pocket and room to set his feet, he can throw a ball as good as any other quarterback. Within his capabilities.
But then again so could Cooper Rush.
People blame our running backs, but it's the offensive line that gets confused and backs end up getting hit at the line of scrimmage. That can't happen.
Actually press coverage is the blueprint not the corners playing off the ball

Sarge

Red, White and Brew...
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
We’ve been putting up garbage time stats for YEARS. It’s gotten many an overrated Cowboys player very rich.

America's Cowboy

Reaction score
Baltimore was actually blitzing vs playing prevent defense. Dak played well in the 4th, the fumble from Lamb and a couple of missed throws in the first half resulted in turnovers on downs.

Dak and the defense need to play 4 quarters. The play calling was terrible, a lot of verticals that took a long time, it looked like Garrett's old offense.
Well analyzed, @Brooksey . :thumbup:

OGSixshooter

Reaction score

Jerry Jones 'very disappointed' by Cowboys' two-game slide: 'We've got a lot of work to do'​

https://www.dallascowboys.com/news/...-two-game-slide-we-ve-got-a-lot-of-work-to-do

Dak: Offense lacked 'professional' approach vs. Ravens​

https://www.dallascowboys.com/news/dak-offense-lacked-professional-approach-vs-ravens

Forged in fire and came out steel. Attention to details still can do the job.
The worst thing about this article is that Dak seems to feel both empowered (to criticize others) and encouraged by his performance!!! He doesn’t think that he stunk so badly …so he can point the finger. At make no mistake, he’s calling out the team.

And typically, he’s also encouraged because of the 2nd half. Somehow, that’s the “real” Cowboys lol. Nope..Ravens always let up with a lead and then Lamar chokes. That’s how they lost the few games they did last year. This team is delusional and overconfident…and I’m not sure which flaw is dominant. I think it’s delusional to start that many rookies and imagine you are going to be good. Delusional they think they “have the talent”…because they looked overmatched and outplayed the last 2 weeks.

Finally, as much as I harp on Dak, these statements by the team’s players indict the lame duck coach.

gtb1943

Reaction score
It is clear the Ravens let up; anyone watching knows that

it is natural but as the old saying goes, when you have a team down you finish them off and they did not
as I mentioned at the time, missing that FG was vital
And let us not forget the refs treating us better in the second half than I can ever remember