10-year-old hero shot during home invasion

StevenOtero

Reaction score
By Regina Ruiz

LOS LUNAS, N.M. - A 10-year-old took a bullet to save his mother's life, and now he’s being called a hero.

The crime happened during a frightening home invasion on La Bajada Road, near Los Lunas on Wednesday.

“He's a hero. He's my hero. If it wasn't for what he did, I don't think I would have my family right now. I would be alone in the world," said the victim's father.

The victim’s father is shaken and upset, but proud of his 10-year-old son. He said his son doesn’t consider himself a hero.

“He goes, 'I protected mom, dad. I protected mom and brother and sister.' That is what he says. That's why he did what he did, to protect them,” the father said.

The family said the two burglars had on ski masks and had rifles. The 10-year-old, his mother, his 19-year-old sister and 24-year-old brother were home during the invasion.

The older siblings didn’t see or hear the intruders, but the mother and the 10-year-old did and hid. Police said the burglars kicked down a bedroom door, and that’s when the boy tackled a suspect.

“I saw him shoot my brother. My brother was trying to save my mom is what it was. He was pointing the gun at my mom," the victim's sister said.

Now, drops of blood cover the family’s living room floor. The family said the burglars were demanding money and making the older siblings lie on the floor.

After the 10-year-old was shot, the men took off.

“You think these things wouldn't happen to you, but they do happen, and you need to be prepared for these things, and hopefully there is somebody as courageous as my little brother to save your whole family,” said the victim’s sister.

The 10-year-old was shot just below his elbow. His arm was broken. His mother hasn't left his side. The family doesn't know if he has any nerve damage, but did say he could move his fingers. He should be out of the hospital soon.

The burglars still haven't been caught. The family said one of the attackers was short, had a Zia symbol tattoo on his neck and a long dark mustache.

Authorities need the public's help locating the suspects, If you have any information call police.

http://www.koat.com/news/new-mexico...ion/-/9153728/14158454/-/3aysc4z/-/index.html

StevenOtero

Reaction score
This is why you need to be armed to the teeth and prepared for anything. It should be the Father/Mother taking that bullet, not the other damn way around.

WTH!