1000 players have entered the transfere portal for 2023 cycle

Hawkeye0202

Reaction score
Well, college football as we knew it is over.......IMO, it's becoming semi Pro league. It's now all about kids positioning themselves for immediate playing time, NIL, NFL, or all three. What fans probably don't realize is the is mindset has probably always been there but college rules legally prohibited......court changed that.

BTW....Deion's speech to players? Expect to see more of this

joseephuss

Reaction score
Breer is saying there will be a lot of kids playing for 3 or 4 different schools and end up with no degrees. They get one "free" transfer where they don't have to sit out a year. After that, if they went to a third school they would need to sit out a year. By then they wouldn't have enough eligibility to sit another year and go to a fourth school. And I doubt many guys want to sit out a year anyway if they went to a third school. A one time "free" transfer really doesn't seem like much of an issue.

terra

Reaction score
well what did the idiots who pushed this THINK was going to happen? Is there ANYONE ANYWHERE in charge of ANYTHING that actually knows what he is doing?

jterrell

Penguinite
Reaction score
Breer is saying there will be a lot of kids playing for 3 or 4 different schools and end up with no degrees. They get one "free" transfer where they don't have to sit out a year. After that, if they went to a third school they would need to sit out a year. By then they wouldn't have enough eligibility to sit another year and go to a fourth school. And I doubt many guys want to sit out a year anyway if they went to a third school. A one time "free" transfer really doesn't seem like much of an issue.
Breer is wrong about this.
Listening to anyone from a blue blood that over recruits is going to be biased to the old ways of college football.

This is no different than the NBA/NFL. These kids are essentially free agents yearly and Coaches are running kids off to the portal to open up spots.
It works both ways. Schollies and NIL aren't all auto-renewing.
Coaches shouldn't be stuck with a kid who doesn't want to work hard and buy in and kids shouldn't be stuck with a coach who has no desire to develop or play them but instead sees them as practice fodder.
Kids should also not be stuck when a Coach leaves.

But education-wise the easiest way to transfer is use the 1-time nod. After that easiest way is grad transfer. That makes you immediately eligible at any place who offers some grad program you want so essentially anywhere they want you.
Because of this more kids than ever are taking summer courses and graduating in 3 years. The portal is improving grad rates not hurting it.

This new system should create about 30-50 viable schools. A number that represents every section of the country and makes for elite development of those kids but also entertainment.
A number consistent with how much legit D1 talent is out there.

College football fans are weird anti-progress people so often and it is just goofy.

Most of the schools we love don't get the titles they have without JUCO or transfers.
This is just an opp for those kids who got bumped down a slot to also move on somewhere else rather than redshirt and then cover kicks for 4 years.
And it makes this off-season far more interesting for fans with all the movement.

jterrell

Penguinite
Reaction score
Also Breer is correct that most FBS players aren't going pro.

The fact they aren't going pro is exactly why they should be able to maximize the college experience rather than redshirting then covering kicks for 4 years because they committed to a situation that had little handle on as a 17/18 year old.

Carson

Reaction score
As long as they get their diplomas and finish their education, I don’t mind wha they do,

joseephuss

Reaction score

I bet that 1% is probably low if we only consider FBS schools. I'm sure the actual percentage of FBS players in the portal is still probably lower than a typical non-athlete student transfer percentage on a yearly basis.

Spencer Sanders in the transfer portal is surprising.

jterrell

Penguinite
Reaction score
I bet that 1% is probably low if we only consider FBS schools. I'm sure the actual percentage of FBS players in the portal is still probably lower than a typical non-athlete student transfer percentage on a yearly basis.

Spencer Sanders in the transfer portal is surprising.
122 D1 FBS schools x 125 roster spots.
15,250 D1 roster spots.

But then to do accurate math you need to know how many of those 1000 kids in portal lack degrees,
Because it won't be close to all of them.
Being without that data let's say it is 60% do not have any degree whatsoever.
So 600 out of 15,520 would give you about 3.8%
And that would still be against the standard non athlete transfer number of 32-37% which varies by year.

So again Breer is just pontificating because he thinks a kid should commit to his school and stay there on campus 5 years regardless of how much he plays or how much he likes the weather or if his parents have health issues.
But also yes regardless of if another school might toss the kid 10K in NIL money and give him a chance to start.

Spencer Sanders news did not surprise me.
He is a good player but has a very real ceiling and OSU wanted to move on.
He will be appealing to non-top 50 programs who need a walk in starter.
Could see him do REALLY well in places like Houston or SMU.
He is a DFW area kid from Denton.