11 Year Old Kid Talks About Nutrition and What's Wrong with our Food System

notherbob

Reaction score
I don't know much about all those other things, garlic is my specialty.

I do think Saltwater Servr is right about organics not lending itself well to mass production. That is why our niche business isn't for everyone. We carefully husband a limited number of plants and lavish extra care on them and charge a premium price for them rather than try to grow mass amounts of plants that are not closely attended to sell for a cheaper price.

We grow for a marketplace where people are eagerly willing to pay a premium price for a premium product. Low price is not a consideration; high quality is. The Chinese grow twice as much garlic as the rest of the world combined and they can undercut anybody and if we grew for the "lowest common denominator" low price mass market, the Chinese would put us out of business in the blink of an eye.

Retailers must carefully choose their market these days if they want to have any chance to survive. Organic produce isn't for everyone, just those who prefer it for their own reasons.

If a person will compare the taste of foods purchased at a supermarket with foods purchased at an organic farmers market, I believe most people would prefer the taste of the organic produce. If you have fresh locally grown peaches for sale in a store, you can smell them when you walk in the door, not so the semi-tasteless peaches that were picked green and ripened in a gas chamber and that came in from California.

Since I haven't had any garlic of my own to sell lately because of drought I have opened up an online garlic farmers market on my website so that small organic and sustainable growers all over the country can share the popularity of my website and sell their premium garlic to the public at prices ranging from $16/lb to $24/lb with me getting a commission.

It works for us; our customers rave about our garlic and keep coming back for more.

Hoofbite

Reaction score
CowboyMcCoy;4398899 said:
Also, for either of you, or for anyone else who may want to chime in. I've also used bentonite clay, which essentially means I mix clay, or more like ash that turns into clay when dampened, to detox my body and remove metals. i learned this from studying astrophysics and how astronauts in space used it for various reasons, primarily because if they took it they didn't get osteoporosis in space at zero gravity. And that's because all of the minerals, like calcium, in bentonite clay are absorbable. On top of juicing, I also drink edible clay. It helps balance the PH in your body, which seems to help with IBD and things like that I deal with.

Totally off topic, in a way, but does anyone have any insight opinions on bentonite clay?

Doesn't sound all that reasonable.

Why not just take a multivitamin?

Your pH is regulated very closely and any balance that the bentonite does would almost assuredly be counteracted by your body, possibly even immediately.

And as far as the calcium. Saltwater said it, too much isn't going to do anything good. He hit on the stones but more than that, it can be deposited into your vasculature if you use it long enough at a high enough dose.

CowboyMcCoy

Business is a Boomin
Reaction score
Hoofbite;4399203 said:
Doesn't sound all that reasonable.

Why not just take a multivitamin?

Your pH is regulated very closely and any balance that the bentonite does would almost assuredly be counteracted by your body, possibly even immediately.

I just figure NASA can't be wrong about some things. I do it to remove toxins from my body. I only eat the edible. I also have GI issue, which means my intestines don't absorb nutrients as well as others... so I do it for 1) to remove toxins and 2) to make sure my body absorbs some key nutrients. That, and it gives you a vitamin rush.

I don't think you get nearly as much absorption from a multivitamin as you do with juicing vegetables or with bentonite. At least that's what I've experienced.

notherbob

Reaction score
CowboyMcCoy;4398886 said:
I'm not arguing an instant change. Even the 11 year old was smart enough to say "one kid at a time". It would be something we would do over time. And to let the food industry know we're not going to spend our money there, which would hike food prices. But it would also encourage more people to do their own farming, like notherbob... who I think is sort of like the crazy farmer the kid was talking about. But I think, like my 90 something year old grandmother, he's onto something.

[youtube]pdlhr8My9n4[/youtube]
The above youtube is actually notherbob. He's how old? Even my girlfriend said he's sexy for his age. Guy looks like he's in his early 60s. I think I'll listen to him about how to eat, rather than the mass produced propaganda. Yes, I'll pay for it. But like the kid says, it's better than paying the hospital.

Guilty as charged, your honor, that is indeed me.

Bob Phillips did that in 2005 and has since been syndicated and appeared on RFD-TV and been translated into many languages and shown all over the world. I have also been recommended by The NY Times, Dallas Morning News, Forbes Mag, Food and Wine Mag, Organic Gardening Mag and Texas Gardener Mag and lots of syndicated newspaper stories so I'm probably one of the better known garlic growers around. It's kind of surprising because I don't advertise or do anything to get attention, it just seems to come on its own. Being at the top of Google doesn't hurt, either.

There's just something about 60 or 80 different kinds of garlic that gets people's attention. There are hundreds of cultivars of garlic, all of which are different cultivars of the ten basic different varieties. My website is the best place on the net to learn about garlic and I feel a responsibility to deliver accurate information.

Thanks for the platform.

CowboyMcCoy

Business is a Boomin
Reaction score
CliffnMesquite;4398911 said:
The child seems well coached. But, it's an interesting message.

Of course he practiced his speech. He was also home schooled, which I think is unique. And hey, Cliff found something interesting.... :eek:

CowboyMcCoy

Business is a Boomin
Reaction score
notherbob;4399147 said:
I don't know much about all those other things, garlic is my specialty.

I do think Saltwater Servr is right about organics not lending itself well to mass production. That is why our niche business isn't for everyone. We carefully husband a limited number of plants and lavish extra care on them and charge a premium price for them rather than try to grow mass amounts of plants that are not closely attended to sell for a cheaper price.

We grow for a marketplace where people are eagerly willing to pay a premium price for a premium product. Low price is not a consideration; high quality is. The Chinese grow twice as much garlic as the rest of the world combined and they can undercut anybody and if we grew for the "lowest common denominator" low price mass market, the Chinese would put us out of business in the blink of an eye.

Retailers must carefully choose their market these days if they want to have any chance to survive. Organic produce isn't for everyone, just those who prefer it for their own reasons.

If a person will compare the taste of foods purchased at a supermarket with foods purchased at an organic farmers market, I believe most people would prefer the taste of the organic produce. If you have fresh locally grown peaches for sale in a store, you can smell them when you walk in the door, not so the semi-tasteless peaches that were picked green and ripened in a gas chamber and that came in from California.

Since I haven't had any garlic of my own to sell lately because of drought I have opened up an online garlic farmers market on my website so that small organic and sustainable growers all over the country can share the popularity of my website and sell their premium garlic to the public at prices ranging from $16/lb to $24/lb with me getting a commission.

It works for us; our customers rave about our garlic and keep coming back for more.

We farm well. Our nation was built on this sort of organic farming. And then, well, it grew. And now we have sustainability issues, like spoiling food, supply and demand, pests... The food companies care about shelf life and profit, but that doesn't mean they care about you. They're selling a product. So yeah, we make a lot of stuff that has a long shelf life, but most food in the grocery store is bad for you according to nutritionalists.

So I get the produce thing. And I think people who consume a lot of veggies that aren't organic are doing better than eating cheetoes. I buy mostly organic produce because when I do eat it or juice it, I don't want the pesticides.

I do eat processed stuff from time to tome. The problem with that, if that's all you eat, most likely you won't have a long shelf life.

My grandparents, who lived through the depression, and they canned everything. It's amazing how far we've come though.

CowboyMcCoy

Business is a Boomin
Reaction score
SaltwaterServr;4398910 said:
Are you trying to get kidney stones and/or gall stones on purpose? Unless you're calcium deficient in your diet, you might be going way overboard. I'd seek the advice of a licensed physician who can readily evaluate your total dietary needs and potential pitfalls with taking in calcium in such amounts. Heck, in San Marcos you stand an elevated chance of getting kidney or gall stones just because the water contains a slightly elevated amount of magnesium and calcium. One of my employees just moved from there because he was having kidney stones. He's 25. My organic chemistry professor at TSU had recurring issues with kidney stones the year I had his classes, even after switching to bottled water.

I can't imagine what bentonite clay would do for your risk factor for that.

Then again, I might be wrong, and if there's one thing I detest is being wrong because I don't know any better. Any chance to learn something new is a chance that must be seized. One of my personal mantras.

I already have kidney stones... but not as many as I once did because of all the cucumbers I've drank from juicing. And, my body is calcium deficient because I don't absorb food and nutrients well. So since it's absorbable, that's what I drink. It also pulls metals out of your body and it's what NASA gives their astronauts to prevent osteoporosis from zero gravity. I've found a lot of detoxing people taking it with psylium husks, which I also use from time to time.

Hoofbite

Reaction score
CowboyMcCoy;4399216 said:
I just figure NASA can't be wrong about some things. I do it to remove toxins from my body. I only eat the edible. I also have GI issue, which means my intestines don't absorb nutrients as well as others... so I do it for 1) to remove toxins and 2) to make sure my body absorbs some key nutrients. That, and it gives you a vitamin rush.

I don't think you get nearly as much absorption from a multivitamin as you do with juicing vegetables or with bentonite. At least that's what I've experienced.

Even if they still give it to astronauts today, it's for spaceflight. Sounds like you make it a part of your regular diet. They were taking it because they were deficient, or at the least insufficient, not because they wanted to get a little extra.

I'm no doctor so I'm not going to say you should or should not do something but I would be careful with it. Definitely consult someone about it.

Hoofbite

Reaction score
notherbob;4399217 said:

Bob Phillips did that in 2005 and has since been syndicated and appeared on RFD-TV and been translated into many languages and shown all over the world. I have also been recommended by The NY Times, Dallas Morning News, Forbes Mag, Food and Wine Mag, Organic Gardening Mag and Texas Gardener Mag and lots of syndicated newspaper stories so I'm probably one of the better known garlic growers around. It's kind of surprising because I don't advertise or do anything to get attention, it just seems to come on its own. Being at the top of Google doesn't hurt, either.

There's just something about 60 or 80 different kinds of garlic that gets people's attention. There are hundreds of cultivars of garlic, all of which are different cultivars of the ten basic different varieties. My website is the best place on the net to learn about garlic and I feel a responsibility to deliver accurate information.

Thanks for the platform.

Gotta admit, that's pretty cool.

You seem to have found something you really love and ain't nothing better than that.

vta

The Proletariat
Reaction score
notherbob;4396864 said:
Yes, it is odorous, inelegant and unsophisticated and very effective when used properly.

I'm a man on a smelly mission.

:laugh2:

I've always loved garlic regardless. It's a boon that it has such good effects on health and over the years I've gotten some good info from you. I even took to chewing it raw from time to time. Keep up the good fight Brother Bob. :)

Wimbo

Reaction score
notherbob;4399217 said:

My website is the best place on the net to learn about garlic

So... what is your website address?

CowboyMcCoy

Business is a Boomin
Reaction score
Hoofbite;4399238 said:
Even if they still give it to astronauts today, it's for spaceflight. Sounds like you make it a part of your regular diet. They were taking it because they were deficient, or at the least insufficient, not because they wanted to get a little extra.

I'm no doctor so I'm not going to say you should or should not do something but I would be careful with it. Definitely consult someone about it.

The reason why they gave it to astronauts is because of its absorption levels. In other words, the minerals absorb well.

Vtwin

Safety third
Reaction score
I remember the good old days before I married my gardening fanatic wife. Used to be able go to the grocery store and buy some veggies and make something that I enjoyed. Now that I am fed a regular diet of home grown organic veggies everything else sucks. We buy most of our meat from local farmers in bulk and again... the grocery store stuff doesn't even come close.

Around here locally grown produce and meat has almost moved past being a niche. Farmers Markets all over the place and the local grocery stores have sections for locally grown.

MetalHead

Benched
Reaction score
I believe is it nothing short of criminal to do what Monsanto is doing.
I'm a full blown capitalist who believes in profiteering,but there is a moral line I will never cross.
Genetical engineering of food is one of those.
Nature never intended for it to be that way.

Here is another controversial angle to the debate:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=axU9ngbTxKw

CowboyMcCoy

Business is a Boomin
Reaction score
MetalHead;4399676 said:
I'm a full blown capitalist who believes in profiteering,but there is a moral line I will never cross.

I agree. Nice Video. The FDA is corrupt, mostly because it's ran by people who were once CEOs in the food/drug industry.

Hoofbite

Reaction score
MetalHead;4399676 said:

Nature never intended to have flu vaccines either.

Or MMR, Tdap or Japanese Encephalitis.