12/8/2008 Jay Ratliff on The Michael Irvin Show

Maikeru-sama

Mick Green 58
Reaction score
Irvin: How are you feeling, are you hurt all over?

Ratliff: Heart hurts the most. Playing as well as we played defensively and coming up short, rather be blown out than lose like that

Irvin: What was that plane ride back like?

Ratliff: You've been through it before, it was real quiet. We couldn't stop wondering where we went wrong, how did we let them slip. We gotta finish and we have to look at yourself and see if you gave enough effort.

Kiley: What were the what ifs on the plane ride home?

Ratliff: Not alot of what ifs. Just wanted to know how we let this game slip. The only thing is and I will say it, we just have to finish. I think we played very intense up until the last 6 minutes.

Irvin: Some of the mistakes and and miscues defensively especially. What do you do about that?

Ratliff: During th game you can't doing anything about that. You just gotta move forward. We will probably sit down and try to get that problem fixed. There is no excuse for a Dlineman stepping offsides.

Irvin: Do you guys ever talk about severity of penalties (1st and 5 or 1st and 10)

***Stream cutout, missed some of the interview***

Ratliff: If the QB gives you one of those hard counts, hard to not jump offsides in anticipation of the snap.

Kiley: The defense seemed ready to play. Was the Steelers taking advantage of that aggressiveness?

Ratliff: We were trying to be aggressive because all we heard is that they were going to run down our throats and do what they want.

Irvin: Glad because the country is coming in here next week. The Cowboys showed that you could play with any team up front. Here comes the Giants and time to show it again.

Ratliff: We have to finish though. Doesn't matter what we showed if we don't win.

***Cell phone wrang, missed some of the interview***

Irvin: What a year you are having, what were your personal goals and stuff this season.

Ratliff: I am just an individual trying to do what I have to. Going into the season, I wanted show that I produced and do my job. One thing I heard from Takeo Spikes and Marcus Washington before I came into the league and they told me that it was a cutthroat league and you produce or go home.

Newton: Do you consider yourself a leader on this defense?

Ratliff: Nah, I feel like Gregg Ellis, Flozell Adams and Zach Thomas are leaders because they are tested year after year and played in Pro Bowls. Those guys are the true leaders.

Newton: I love your humbleness and you are making a difference on the field and that is what makes a leader.

Irvin: Don't underestimate your words on the field, because when you are playing the way you are playing, other teammates will listen to you.

ethiostar

Reaction score
Maikeru-sama;2473661 said:
Ratliff: Heart hurts the most.

Irvin: Glad because the country is coming in here next week. The Cowboys showed that you could play with any team up front. Here comes the Giants and time to show it again.

Ratliff: We have to finish though. Doesn't matter what we showed if we don't win.

Irvin: Don't underestimate your words on the field, because when you are playing the way you are playing, other teammates will listen to you.

I love this guy. He is a true unselfish warrior.

I also like what Irvin said at the end.

landryscorner

Reaction score
Love ratliff too, I feel for the team, my son is 9 and he saw my anguish when Romo threw that last pick....

Yes Defense played awesome, but I have to commend Ratliff for commenting on the defenses shortcommings on Sunday...

#1 Offsides on the Defense...HUGE

And coaching FUBAR'ed this...12 men on the Field was also Huge and at a very bad time...

I'll also make a note on the Defense....Middle zone, middle zone, middle zone....it's been there all season long wide open....

I think other teams are seeing footage of this, whenever a linebacker creeps up to the line, I think they are audibling for a pass into the middle zone, I mean the Steeler receivers were out there wide open in the middle..once again.. BAD COACHING...

and...one more bad coaching note...on that play where the steeler receiver looked like he trapped the ball and then the steelers did a no huddle, I though we had a review booth up top? I mean the catch looked fishy too me? what do you guys think?