12-step troublemaker: One nurse's fight for choice in addiction treatment

lukin2006

Reaction score

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/british-columbia/12-step-nurse-addictions-1.4805538?cmp=rss

I agree wholeheartedly with this fellow. My brother had addiction issues, in and out of rehab ... died way to young because of complications from a stroke.

One night I was bored, so I researched why my brother couldn't be help? AA and rehab clinics have a very small success, and most of the articles I read pointed to the 12 step program as the problem. So this article was very interesting. People with addiction issues deserve treatments that work, and are proven to work.

I do realize some people can not helped, and maybe my brother was one of them...

Longboysfan

hipfake08
Reaction score
Yes.

Some can't but then again there are so many outside influences - for the bad.

Same thing two of my friends daughters.
The next phone call was from police - they were found.

nightrain

Since 1971
Reaction score

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/british-columbia/12-step-nurse-addictions-1.4805538?cmp=rss

I agree wholeheartedly with this fellow. My brother had addiction issues, in and out of rehab ... died way to young because of complications from a stroke.

One night I was bored, so I researched why my brother couldn't be help? AA and rehab clinics have a very small success, and most of the articles I read pointed to the 12 step program as the problem. So this article was very interesting. People with addiction issues deserve treatments that work, and are proven to work.

I do realize some people can not helped, and maybe my brother was one of them...

Very sorry to hear you lost your Brother to addiction.

From experience I can tell you, if an addict does not want to get well, he or she won't get well. Recovery, imo, is 90% psychological. The term hitting bottom is meaningful because it usually takes a catastrophic situation to get an addict motivated. Rehab combined with the 12 step program did not work for me either. It made me more depressed and sunk my outlook toward sobriety. I was not motivated to sober up by sitting in a smokey room with a bunch of drunks and users like myself telling stories about what they did when they were loaded. I do feel the 12 step program is gold for many addicts and does work for many people, it just wasn't turning me around and I needed an alternative.

It took some time, but I finally became mentally motivated to get sober (a deep bottom). The key for me was finding an outlet to get passionate about that could take over my focus on intoxication. There are powerful facets from the 12 step program that I definitely used to help me along the way. I think my success was based more upon will than anything else. It was far from an easy transition and my method was unorthodoxed to say the least.

I feel very fortunate that I got my &*%^ together at the age of 26. It kills me to see people lose life, families and careers to a real and deadly affliction that seemingly has a low rate of success for a cure. The times are much worse today than when I was on the prowl. Prescription drugs (thank God) were not as prevalent as they are now. Having a 20-something out there in the world is scary for me.

God bless you and anyone else out there who is suffering. There is a way out, you just have to be strong enough to open that door and enter a new phase in life.

Runwildboys

Confused about stuff
Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan

I'm sorry about your brother, Lukin. I agree that the 12 step program only has a chance for religious people, just like swearing on the bible in court means nothing to an atheist. This ex-nurse seems to be starting a revolution in addiction treatment in Canada, and I hope he's successful.

Runwildboys

Confused about stuff
Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan
Yes.

Some can't but then again there are so many outside influences - for the bad.

Same thing two of my friends daughters.
The next phone call was from police - they were found.
Wow, that's sad. Not just one, but two daughters.

lukin2006

Reaction score
Very sorry to hear you lost your Brother to addiction.

From experience I can tell you, if an addict does not want to get well, he or she won't get well. Recovery, imo, is 90% psychological. The term hitting bottom is meaningful because it usually takes a catastrophic situation to get an addict motivated. Rehab combined with the 12 step program did not work for me either. It made me more depressed and sunk my outlook toward sobriety. I was not motivated to sober up by sitting in a smokey room with a bunch of drunks and users like myself telling stories about what they did when they were loaded. I do feel the 12 step program is gold for many addicts and does work for many people, it just wasn't turning me around and I needed an alternative.

It took some time, but I finally became mentally motivated to get sober (a deep bottom). The key for me was finding an outlet to get passionate about that could take over my focus on intoxication. There are powerful facets from the 12 step program that I definitely used to help me along the way. I think my success was based more upon will than anything else. It was far from an easy transition and my method was unorthodoxed to say the least.

I feel very fortunate that I got my &*%^ together at the age of 26. It kills me to see people lose life, families and careers to a real and deadly affliction that seemingly has a low rate of success for a cure. The times are much worse today than when I was on the prowl. Prescription drugs (thank God) were not as prevalent as they are now. Having a 20-something out there in the world is scary for me.

God bless you and anyone else out there who is suffering. There is a way out, you just have to be strong enough to open that door and enter a new phase in life.

Thanks for sharing your storey, that's great that you everything worked for you. I know from brother"s addiction, it can take right over. He was in rehab/AA multiple times...but nothing worked. You are right about the passion, there was a 2 year period where he still drank, but moderately ... he got involved in making wood furniture, and he was really good with bonsai planet...once he lost interest he back to his old ways...

Wishing continued success in your recovery,

lukin2006

Reaction score
I'm sorry about your brother, Lukin. I agree that the 12 step program only has a chance for religious people, just like swearing on the bible in court means nothing to an atheist. This ex-nurse seems to be starting a revolution in addiction treatment in Canada, and I hope he's successful.

Thank you. I am shocked that he was terminated with addiction issues. That has successful lawsuit written all over it. My Uncle was a union man and knew a lot about labour laws, he once told people without unions can get retribution through the courts and the success rate of winning is quite high. He said judges who deal with labour issue prefer siding with little ... right or wrong. Just from talking to my Uncle, he'll likely win. I am surprised in Vancouver that there are not better options, they have a drug crisis there. Back in July BC EMS responded to 130 over doses on one Friday, and I believe they all lived...

Runwildboys

Confused about stuff
Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan
Yes. But two different friends.
I have two daughters - but lost my wife - I don't think I could handle it if one of them died.
I'm sorry, I misread that. I thought it was one friend with two daughters. ..still very rough though.

And you lost your wife the same way?