$17,000,000 for guys over 30

NEODOG

44cowboys22
Reaction score
That's a lot of cash.... Glad they got their payday. Each was well deserved!

But does anybody actually think this was the BEST option for us? I for one, think no way to I had out that much cash for guys at that age. Especially considering how bad our D was with those TWO playing.

Would you rather extend Witten at $9mil per or Tyron-? I go young and thank the guys on the way out the door.

Wood

Reaction score
That's a lot of cash.... Glad they got their payday. Each was well deserved!

But does anybody actually think this was the BEST option for us? I for one, think no way to I had out that much cash for guys at that age. Especially considering how bad our D was with those TWO playing.

Would you rather extend Witten at $9mil per or Tyron-? I go young and thank the guys on the way out the door.

I think Dallas will take Romo and Witten down with the ship. Witten is widely celebrated in Dallas and Romo has his niche. Dallas will tolerate the over-pay on both players because it will translate in ticket sales. Everything else around them is fair game.

NEODOG

44cowboys22
Reaction score
I not saying extend Witten per say.... Just using that as an example. Pay top dollar for guys on back side or pay top dollar for guys hitting prime

TheEnigma

Anomaly
Reaction score
I get the impression Witten is going to be a hometown discount kind of guy. At least I hope he is favorite player and all.

casmith07

Attorney-at-Zone
Reaction score
I get the impression Witten is going to be a hometown discount kind of guy. At least I hope he is favorite player and all.

Witten will never command a team-breaking salary for his role. I'm confident that he will stay with the Cowboys until he hangs them up.

Of course, I said the same thing about Ware until we switched to the 4-3.

slomoxn

Reaction score

Ware may have been also, they never offered to find out; Witten may not be worth an extension either though.

TwoCentPlain

Numbnuts
Reaction score
$17M for Ware and Hatcher. That is some serious money for two guys over 30. Especially when one had injuries for two seasons and Hatcher also had some injuries and only one really good year. Some GMs out there saw our 32nd-ranked defense and said I want two of those defensive linemen. Carr and Claiborne have hope some other GM will see the same thing next March.:)

Say what you want about Jerry Jones, but had he signed Ware and Hatcher from some other team, I think he would have been ridiculed for overpaying two past-their-prime, injury prone players,

plymkr

Reaction score
You guys might want to circle this date, or take a picture of this post, but I feel Jerry did the right thing with these two moves. Anyone who has read anything I've written knows that I hate Jerry as a GM and starting to hate him as an owner. But I'm actually encouraged by the last two days. Jerry didn't over pay for guys he was attached to. I loved Ware and always will, don't care too much about Hatcher, but I wanted Ware on the team but not for 12 or 16 million or whatever his cap number was going to be. I don't think he's worth 10 million, not even close. Hatcher is good but he is not 6-7 million good and he's getting old. I'm happy with Ware, austin and Hatcher being gone (Ware being the only one I wanted to retire a cowboy) and their salaries gone. Ware and austin were "kool aid" guys, spliced in all pro plays every once in a while but was always hurt and keeping the team hostage with their salaries. I'd rather use that money to have a better team from player 23-55 than have older superstars 1-22 and nothing 23-55. IMO, but I am happy with Jerry for the first time in 15 years, I hope it lasts.

Super_Kazuya

Reaction score
Marty was his replacement and so was Fasano, lol...

lol, I know. Witten has been outlasting replacements for a while now. And don't look now, he's only 31 despite it feeling like he should be as old as Tony G.

FuzzyLumpkins

The Boognish
Reaction score
Witten still has 4 years left on his deal. $8m is fine for the perennial pro bowler and consistent all pro. He isn't the blocker that he was back in 2008 but he is still elite.

rpntex

Reaction score
Romo, with his $41M "dead money", is impossible to either trade or cut. He's here for three years, regardless of the circumstances. The only way around that is if he retires voluntarily.

Witten, on the other hand, still holds some value in the brass' minds.

I do think they're both here for the duration, if for no other reason that to provide some much-needed leadership for the younger guys.

coult44

Reaction score
Witten hasn't even began slowing in production or playing time. He's the most consistent on the team. Talking about replacing him right now is laughable !!!

DandyDon1722

It's been a good 'un, ain't it?
Reaction score
You gotta pay the QB you just have to in this league. After that you simply have to pay the face of the franchise with Witten. The intangibles, his continued production and his persona as the Walter Payton Award winner has given him that leverage.

After that it becomes emotion and god strike me dead but I think Jerry is beginning to see the light. It's going to be interesting the next two years to follow our philosophy.